HTML banned?!?!

zhao

there are no accidents
what the fuck is up with this shit? i've never personally seen HTML be rude to anyone (and I'm prolly more sexist than he is). and only pleasant experiences with Nomos as well.

(sorry if it's already been resolved when i wasn't here - in which case delete)

Elvira said:
I am passing on the following message from Hundredmillionlifetimes as he is unable to do so under the circumstances, and due to the departure of Woebot from the forum:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Harassing and abuse of position by Nomos

Copy of e-mail sent by Hundredmillionlifetimes to Matthew Ingram/Woebot:

"Matt,

I have just learned, without any warning being given whatsoever, and on the basis of totally false allegations, and in total contravention of your stated policy some months ago (that there would be no further bannings of anyone from Dissensus), that I have been banned, and for two months.

As Nomos claims responsibility for this total and arbitrary abuse of the stated rules, I trust you will rectify matters. Banning someone in such a manner is the very definition of 'personal abuse'. If you peruse the relevant threat, it should become apparent that Tate 'intervened' in the
discussion there, provoked trouble, by ridiculously accusing me of being 'sexist', which in the context amounts to personal abuse, yet Nomos did not even question this; on the contrary, he welcomed such abuse, then going on to ban me for my attempts to defend myself against such an abusive allegation."

The post where Matt/Woebot announced that there would be no further bannings of Members from Dissensus in future was in the thread "Postmodernity" (in the Thought category) on 2nd July, 2007, where he clearly stated: "the policy in this particular situation in future is going to be to NOT BAN."

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?p=93511&highlight=hmlt#post93511

The only function of a mod, therefore, is to delete obvious threads/posts that are nothing more than spam/advertising (which regularly happens), though I recently found to my surprise that a harmless thread I started in the music section just before I was banned was ALSO summarily deleted, yet another irresponsible abuse of the forum.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
what the fuck is up with this shit? i've never personally seen HTML be rude to anyone
Zhao, you must be so deeply spiritual that you are incapable of seeing evil. ;) Either that or you get some special edition of Dissensus over there.

Poor old Matt/Paul.

Id be tempted to quit the internet as well if I had to deal with this bullshit on a regular basis.

zhao

there are no accidents
Zhao, you must be so deeply spiritual that you are incapable of seeing evil. ;) Either that or you get some special edition of Dissensus over there.

sorry. i guess i'm missing something. can you post a link to where he was behaving badly? the link in the email didn't have anything other than the usual back and forth with Vimothy (much more worthy of the label you used above IMHO)

noel emits

No I'm just kidding really. I don't think there was any behaviour that was particularly unacceptable, I figure the banning was more for the sake of general peace than as a punishment for one poster. Also there were a series of exchanges over a number of threads.

Whats the big deal anyway? Surely he can just re-register under a new name (if he hasnt already) like he did the last time he was banned?

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
sorry. i guess i'm missing something. can you post a link to where he was behaving badly? the link in the email didn't have anything other than the usual back and forth with Vimothy (much more worthy of the label you used above IMHO)

There was a thread that got deleted, which I thought was weird, which I think was the final straw. I really like HMTL's posts, increasingly, the more I've noticed yo voice within the hubris, yo remind me of alot of my friends.

noel emits

I find threads talking about absent posters a little bit distasteful actually, I think this should stop.

But before it does can I just make the XML joke? Cheers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i've never personally seen HTML be rude to anyone"
I don't want him banned either but come on Zhao you've got to be winding us up with this bit right?
Edit: or did you deliberately put the letters in the wrong order so what you said was strictly true, a bit like Nelson with his "I see no ships" thing?

noel emits

yup. And I'd really LIKE to be talked about when I get banned.
I'm sure the non-existent person behind the internet persona is at this moment relishing the accumulated bile and ire he can unleash upon returning to this particular corner of the internet.

zhao

there are no accidents
I don't want him banned either but come on Zhao you've got to be winding us up with this bit right?

honestly don't remember any occasion where he was ill mannered... even with Vimoth he maybe used forceful tones but always in service of illustrating a point.

but more important are the consistantly rewarding and thoughtful posts.

elgato

I just dont know
I'm sure the non-existent person behind the internet persona is at this moment relishing the accumulated bile and ire he can unleash upon returning to this particular corner of the internet.

but whatever one might judge his motivations to be, his posts were informative, thought-provoking and challenging, which surely is what this place is about

i can sympathise with an instinctive desire to create harmonious spaces, but i would be very disappointed if he didn't come back

noel emits

Zhao, elgato, I don't know about getting into all this but the fact is there have been outrageous accusations, (apparently) irrational outbursts and outright personal insults. Sometimes it's funny but other times it's been very wide of the mark indeed. The banning is only temporary as I understand it. I have no animosity towards the fellow and agree that he is an interesting and thoughtful poster, just sometimes... Well, like I say I have no need to get into specifics really. I'd hate to come here and have nobody disagree with me about stuff.

I kind of thought he went bat-shit crazy at the end...

I often like what he has to say but he was so wound up that it probably could do him some good to get some fresh air...

noel emits

Actually not to second guess why any decisions were made but I did feel it was rather unfortunate for Dan what happened to the thread he started in good faith about his upcoming project. I mean to say it was hopelessly derailed before he'd even got on that plane!

"though I recently found to my surprise that a harmless thread I started in the music section just before I was banned was ALSO summarily deleted, yet another irresponsible abuse of the forum."

This is dishonest, he created a thread whose sole purpose was to make someone else look like an idiot.

I'm sure he'll be back soon.