Anatomy of a Murder - rape attitudes

crackerjack

Not convinced about that "rule of thumb" thing though...

From here

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/000512.html

Google throws up plenty of similar links.

This from Simon Schama's History of Britain.

By 1882 married women finally got control of their own property. Nine years later legislation was passed making it unlawful for husbands to lcok up their wives for refusing sexual relations or to beat them 'so long as the cane was no thicker than his thumb'.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Nine years later legislation was passed making it unlawful for husbands to lcok up their wives for refusing sexual relations or to beat them 'so long as the cane was no thicker than his thumb'."
As it's stated that doesn't make any sense. It was unlawful to beat them if the cane was thin?

ripley

Again, long time since I've seen it and always found it pretty boring. Can't remember those scenes at all though. Strange.

yes that's what's weird about it. You (the viewer) are obviously not meant to empathize with the woman who is gang-raped or the woman who travolta attempts to rape. They barely register as people at all, and are basically used as symbols of his inner turmoil.

it's kinda like the way Oliver Stone talks about the Vietnam war: "In Vietnam, we fought ourselves" he said once.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"No. it means previously it was legal to beat them with a thin cane. The 1891 law ruled that out."
I see what you're saying but I'm still not convinced. For one, Scharma doesn't quote a source, for another the date he states for the law changing is 100 years after the actual source in the other one states it's illegal to beat wives. Most convincing for me though is the fact that "rule of thumb" is simply not used in that way, it means a rough measurement not a legal boundary.

crackerjack

I see what you're saying but I'm still not convinced. For one, Scharma doesn't quote a source, for another the date he states for the law changing is 100 years after the actual source in the other one states it's illegal to beat wives. Most convincing for me though is the fact that "rule of thumb" is simply not used in that way, it means a rough measurement not a legal boundary.

Not convinced that it was legal to beat your wife in Victorian times or that there's a connection between that and the "rule of thumb" phrase?

The Schama book and TV series (in which that claim is also made) was meant as a popular history, not a book for scholars - hence the lack of source references throughout. I guess that could make it less rigorous, but I'd be surprised if he was getting away with repeating old folklore without being exposed.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not convinced that that is where the "rule of thumb" phrase comes from. Wikipedia debunks it as well:

"The earliest citation comes from Sir William Hope’s The Compleat Fencing-Master, second edition, 1692, page 157: "What he doth, he doth by rule of thumb, and not by art."[2]
The notion that the "rule of thumb" was a law that limited the width of a rod that a man may use to beat his wife has been partially discredited. Wife beating has been explicitly illegal in British law since the 1700s and has never been legally sanctioned in America.[3] The "rule of thumb" was referenced in at least four legal cases from 1782 to 1897, in each of the known cases it was referred to only to state its invalidity, with one judge calling it "...a barbarous custom which modern authorities condemn."[4] The non-law gained popularity after feminist Del Martin wrote in 1976:
Our law, based upon the old English common-law doctrines, explicitly permitted wife-beating for correctional purposes. However ... the common-law doctrine had been modified to allow the husband 'the right to whip his wife, provided that he used a switch no bigger than his thumb'--a rule of thumb, so to speak.
It is now firmly entrenched as an urban myth"

crackerjack

Not convinced that that is where the "rule of thumb" phrase comes from. Wikipedia debunks it as well:

That seems fairly conclusive and I apologise for derailing your thread, tho the gist of my original point stands and I won't forgive you for disproving my favourite TV historian.:eek:

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"That seems fairly conclusive and I apologise for derailing your thread, tho the gist of my original point stands and I won't forgive you for disproving my favourite TV historian."
Not at all, I think it's pretty ineteresting when you find out where something like that comes from and then interesting again when you find out how an urban myth (if indeed that's what it is) gains currency and how people use it for their own ends (though often it ends up doing them a disservice when this is discovered). It's definitely relevant to the thread anyway.

IdleRich

IdleRich
In Baise-Moi (another stupid film) there is a bit where the woman is raped and someone asks why she isn't more upset, she says something like "I don't keep myself up my cunt" which I thought was a pretty good line.
What's the Almadovar one with the uncontrollable rapist (his sister normally fucks him to stop him raping other people)? Maybe Kika or something? There is a rape scene in that that is played completely for laughs, quite unusual.
Reading Giles Goat-Boy and a woman has just been raped, straight back to normal in the next scene.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Yeah Baise Moi is nearly irredeemable. Wish I had those two hours back.
:eek:

I Spit On Your Grave, anyone? The gang rape of the protagonist was supposed to be brutal and worthy of the course of vengeance that unwinds for the balance of the film, but it is highly sexualized. No question that a man was behind the camera,

As far as man-rape goes, the first thing that comes to mind is Deliverance:

Mountain Man: Now, let's you just drop them pants.
Bobby: Drop?
Mountain Man: Just take 'em right off.
Bobby: I-I mean, what's this all about?
Toothless Man: Don't say anything, just do it.
Mountain Man: Just drop 'em, boy. (To Ed - at knifepoint) You ever had your b---s cut off, you f--kin' ape? Looky there, that's sharp. Bet it would shave a hair.
Toothless Man: Why don't you try it and see? (To Bobby) Take off that little ol' bitty shirt there, too. (To Mountain Man) Did he bleed?
Mountain Man: He bled. (To Bobby) Them panties. Take 'em off. (After attacking him) Hey boy, you look just like a hog....(Holding Bobby's nose as he straddles him from behind) Come on piggy, give me a ride...Looks like we got us a sow here, instead of a boar....I bet you can squeal like a pig.
Bobby: Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
picture3mv3.png

Anyone familiar with Rapeman, the film based on the manga of the same name? The idea is Rapeman uses rape as a tool of revenge and/or justice. "Righting Wrongs Through Penetration". I admit I have never seen this (difficult to track down) but I have perused the untranslated manga (no I can't read kanji!).

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I Spit On Your Grave, anyone? The gang rape of the protagonist was supposed to be brutal and worthy of the course of vengeance that unwinds for the balance of the film, but it is highly sexualized. No question that a man was behind the camera,

As far as man-rape goes, the first thing that comes to mind is Deliverance:

Anyone familiar with Rapeman, the film based on the manga of the same name? The idea is Rapeman uses rape as a tool of revenge and/or justice. "Righting Wrongs Through Penetration". I admit I have never seen this (difficult to track down) but I have perused the untranslated manga (no I can't read kanji!).

There's quite a few rape revenge ones aren't there? Ms 45 as well along similar lines.

I've never understood John Boorman's films - The General aside - 'Deliverance' uses m/m rape as a metaphor for everything that's savage and brutal about the working class, doesn't he? Or nature or what we've lost now we live in cities or something. I don't understand his work at all.

I'd LOVE to see Rapeman if anyone knows where to get a copy, good idea.

crackerjack

I've never understood John Boorman's films - The General aside - 'Deliverance' uses m/m rape as a metaphor for everything that's savage and brutal about the working class, doesn't he? Or nature or what we've lost now we live in cities or something.

You think? I thought Deliverance was more about mocking urbanised men who romanticised the wilds, the Iron Johns before anyone called them that.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mountain Man: Now, let's you just drop them pants.
Bobby: Drop?
Mountain Man: Just take 'em right off.

Come on piggy, give me a ride...Looks like we got us a sow here, instead of a boar....I bet you can squeal like a pig.
Bobby: Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

As sampled to great effect on Beers, Steers And Queers by the inimitable Revolting Cocks. :cool: