D

droid

Speaking of settlements, this is interesting:

Secret Israeli database reveals full extent of illegal settlement

...The official database, the most comprehensive one of its kind ever compiled in Israel about the territories, was recently obtained by Haaretz. Here, for the first time, information the state has been hiding for years is revealed. An analysis of the data reveals that, in the vast majority of the settlements - about 75 percent - construction, sometimes on a large scale, has been carried out without the appropriate permits or contrary to the permits that were issued. The database also shows that, in more than 30 settlements, extensive construction of buildings and infrastructure (roads, schools, synagogues, yeshivas and even police stations) has been carried out on private lands belonging to Palestinian West Bank residents...

Anyone read Hebrew?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
no Hebrew skills i'm afraid Droid, but here's something from me for everybody, and on topic (!)

Minor wobbles aside, EU support for Fatah has meant consistent opposition to Hamas, writes RORY MILLER.

rest here.

it's evident that Hamas must be talked to as it stands, but you cannot argue with Miller's last sentence:
Now Hamas has nowhere to turn and no one to blame but itself.

D

droid

no Hebrew skills i'm afraid Droid, but here's something from me for everybody, and on topic (!)

rest here.

it's evident that Hamas must be talked to as it stands, but you cannot argue with Miller's last sentence:
Now Hamas has nowhere to turn and no one to blame but itself.

Well, I certainly would argue with that sentence, on the basis that his previous sentence was:

"But just when it looked like Europe would have to respond to humanitarian and political realities and bring Hamas in from the cold, the group’s overthrow of Fatah in Gaza in 2007 ended any chance of this happening."

Especially when you consider that Hamas' actions against Fatah was essentially a pre-emptive coup against Israeli/US armed and trained groups who were on the brink of ousting Hamas from power...

And of course you have to take into account that Hamas has offered ceasefire after ceasefire, made genuine efforts to control terror (no suicide bombs since they entered the political process), and have offered Israel peace on the basis of pre-1967 borders, only to be rewarded by a blockade, more violence, and political isolation from possibly the one group capable of breaking the diplomatic deadlock.

Last edited by a moderator:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Well, I certainly would argue with that sentence, on the basis that his previous sentences was:
Especially when you consider that Hamas' actions against Fatah was essentially a pre-emptive coup against Israeli/US armed and trained groups who were on the brink of ousting Hamas from power...

mea culpa Droid, my views are for jaw-jaw.

my second comment endorsing Miller's final sentence was more a cry of despair that Hamas have gone down the avenue they did, thus allowing themselves to be more easily marginalised.

(i was focusing in my head as i posted on the headline grabbing violence in the summer 2007 conflict that was specifically started with the Beit Hanoun killings in early June, though i was not explicit about that, and should have been.)

craner

Beast of Burden
(no suicide bombs since they entered the political process)

This has got more to do with a certain wall, rather than the "entrance" of Hamas to "the political process".

D

droid

This has got more to do with a certain wall, rather than the "entrance" of Hamas to "the political process".

Really Oliver? Do you mean that non-existent wall around the Hamas controlled Gaza? Or the actual illegal (according to the world court), land grabbing wall around the Fatah controlled West Bank?

Please stop embarassing yourself. You're better than your recent ill-judged posts on this thread suggests...

D

droid

And sorry to use this thread as a link dump, but I think this is relevant in relation to the pattern of ceasefire violations.

As we know, Hamas launched 10 rockets against Israel the day after they announced their unilateral ceasefire (the 18th), the condition of which was that Israel would not initiate conflict, but would respond to any attack against them.

Hamas then announced their week long unilateral ceasefire conditional on the blockade being lifted. On the 20th January 8 mortars were apparently fired against Israel, most landing within Gaza according to the Israeli press.

On 27th, an explosive device was detonated along the border, killing one IDF soldier and wounding 3.

On 28th/29th, 2 rockets were launched into Israel, with one of them being claimed by the Fatah offshoot, the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade.

On the Israeli side, the following incidents were reported (including the death of a child from sniper fire). Bear in mind that there was also retaliation for the incidents mentioned above.

Jan. 19 On 19 January, a Palestinian farmer was killed by Israeli gunfire east of Jabalia (PDF)

Jan. 20 Two Palestinian children were killed by explosives left behind by Israeli forces in Gaza and a farmer was shot dead by Israeli gunfire, hospital officials reported.

Jan. 21 Reports that the Israeli navy had continued to fire shells at Gaza from the Mediterranean

Jan. 22 Four Palestinians were injured on 22 January by a shell fired from an Israeli gunboat off the Gaza coast. The same day, a house was set on fire by a shell fired from an Israeli gunboat. No injuries were reported. Also on 22 January, IDF troops shot and injured a child east of Gaza City near the border.

Jan. 22 Two women, two children and an elderly man were wounded on Thursday by fire from Israeli navy boats patrolling the Mediterranean, medics said.

Jan. 22 Seven people were injured today after Israeli navy gunboats opened fire against Palestinian fishing boats off the Gaza Strip. On the fifth day of truce between Israel and Hamas, following incessant Israeli bombings in operation 'cast lead', the naval blockade of the Gaza Strip instituted by Israel is still in force.

Jan. 30 AN ISRAELI aircraft fired a rocket into the southern Gaza city of Khan Yunis yesterday, wounding a Palestinian gunman Israel claimed was linked to Tuesday’s bombing of an Israeli army border patrol. Five other people were hurt, most of them schoolchildren.

Ceasefire Broken From Day One (summary up to Jan 26th)

Once again Israel shows that it cannot even hold to its own unilateral conditions for ceasefire...

scottdisco

rip this joint please
And of course you have to take into account that Hamas has offered ceasefire after ceasefire, made genuine efforts to control terror (no suicide bombs since they entered the political process), and have offered Israel peace on the basis of pre-1967 borders, only to be rewarded by a blockade, more violence, and political isolation from possibly the one group capable of breaking the diplomatic deadlock.

Hamas and the hudna / hafsakat esh: worth discussing in terms of is it a genuine irreversible, historically permanent ceasefire that takes into account the legitimate demands of Zionism etc, or is it a fluid piece of rhetoric (eg 50 years or so long, but no more)?

i applaud - of course - Hamas' efforts to successfully control suicide bombs since they entered the peace process and this is, granted, something one should be very grateful toward them for (one assumes they can reverse this at the drop of a hat, given their previous industry in arranging suicide bombings so well?), and have nothing but condemnation for all the awful Israeli blocking of their attempts to engage.

i am not wanting to get into a slanging match here Droid, and have no doubt you can tell me a lot of statistics that i doubtless agree with the thrust of (it seems to be the case that you and i only fall out when i have failed to clarify something ;) ) but just wanting anyone to comment on Hamas here, we have after all had a few comments on Israel, and just want to open the thread up for people with views on Hamas, and how Hamas are actually doing in Gaza; after all, i think we all know about the structural injustice of the Israeli blockade and whilst none of us are Hamas fans, i would be interested if anyone has any interesting views/news about them

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Hamas watch

doing good

They have pledged $52 million of their own funds to help repair lives, the money divvied up by category.

also some choices for the group coming up.

toward the end there's a detail that emblematically tore me up

Shehadeh Shehadeh, 39, a Gaza City pastry chef who learned his trade in Israel a decade ago, said he voted for Hamas in 2006 but said he believes the group must become more pragmatic.
He sold his last black forest cake a month ago and can't bake anymore because he's run out of ingredients available only in Israel.

here.

that shocking Haaretz database - that Droid linked to here - is, anecdotally, viral over t' internets, which can only be a good thing

scottdisco

rip this joint please
yup, at least one fatality this morning in IAF strikes, no?

as for my earlier post at no. 211, it was probably a bit posey and rather vague / muddle-headed in terms of some generalisations, so please go easy on me :)

(also your pre-emptive characterisation of the summer 2007 conflict was something i discussed in my own post at no. 206 in brackets, but i made it look like i didn't realise that's what you were talking about, but i am clear that's what you were referring to, and yes, nobody disputes that the US arms Fatah fighters etc. or that Fatah men and Hamasniks are as brutal as each other. nobody serious, anyway, i should think.)

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Hamas watch

Jimmy Carter discusses them in the Trib

here.

But one of the things that they committed to me that was very significant, and they announced it publicly, by the way, to Al Jazeera and others, was that they would accept any agreement that's negotiated between the Israelis and the Palestinians if it's submitted to a referendum in the West Bank and Gaza, and the Palestinians approve it. That means they would accept Israel's right to exist if that's in the agreement and so forth. So that's really very significant. And I don't have to tell you about their willingness to have a cease-fire for 40 years if it's mutual.

D

droid

And entering into any kind of agreement constitutes de facto recognition by Hamas.

Of course, and thats a very salient point. In fact the PLO did the same in 1976 at the UN, but Israel refused to negotiate with them until they said uncle in '89. Now we see the same process at work with Hamas - a refusal by Israel to negotiate because of the (symbolic) Hamas charter, yet implicit recognition of Israel by Hamas. Meanwhile no-one bats an eyelid at Israel's continuing refusal to recognise Palestine, as reflected in the Likud charter (actually being implemented as we speak), which effectively calls for the ethnic cleansing of the entire West bank.

It's almost as if Israel doesn't want negotiations or peace... simply the right to continue settlement building and changing the 'facts on the ground', in the belief (probably correct), that whatever settlement does eventually take shape will encompass all of Israel's desires (see Oslo).

In short, Chomsky's seemingly contentious assertion that Hamas is far closer to the 40 year old international and UN approved consensus for a two state solution is accurate.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
redux

Hamas and the hudna / hafsakat esh: worth discussing in terms of is it a genuine irreversible, historically permanent ceasefire that takes into account the legitimate demands of Zionism etc, or is it a fluid piece of rhetoric (eg 50 years or so long, but no more)?

just wanted to tidy up this bit here and acknowledge - as Droid and Vimothy have done - that de facto recognition would exist in any agreement, and this is what Hamas have said.

the question of looking into the future of Hamas is a bit like reading the runes, and that's where psychology sort of mitigates against any convincing answer.
(Hizbollah are a long haul outfit, it must be said.)

thus, you get people asking in good faith isn't the hudna a sleight of hand, because in 30 years time Hamas will hope to break out and kill all Jews, or, on the other hand, someone might say if Israel took a few courageous leaps working toward a comprehensive, fair settlement (which they are not doing atm, and have not been doing), many many radicals might be sidelined and eventually silenced, and the next generation more hopeful. i also note, as Droid said, previous Palestinian interlocutors have offered practical recognition in return for talking, which the Israelis fiddled over for a long time.

that Likud constitution in the making is hateful. i suspect the reason why - as you say Droid - many people don't bat an eyelid about it, is because they do not know. many people have a low opinion of the Likud, but i admit this constitution is news to me.

i have not read all this piece yet with Khaled Abu Toameh, but he is worth reading.

So the international community and Israel gathered all these PLO fighters from around the world, released thousands of PLO fighters from Israeli prisons, gave them uniforms and guns, and called them security forces. And the result was the people who had never received any basic training, people who had never finished high school, became colonels and generals in Yasser Arafat's Authority. He established sixteen different security forces with the help of the Americans, the Europeans, and the Israelis. And they started pouring money into this regime that they called the Palestinian Authority. Billions of dollars with the hope that Arafat would deliver.

Now, there's no need to elaborate. As you all know, Arafat turned out to be a crook.

When I tried to alert my foreign colleagues in 1995, 1996, and 1997, to the fact that there was corruption in the Palestinian Authority, many of them asked me if I was on the payroll of the Jewish Lobby. I wanted to know where was this Jewish Lobby? If there was one maybe they would pay me.

So Arafat cracked down on the reformists and the democrats and the people who wanted good government. And he sent the rest of the people into the open arms of Hamas. He cracked down on the reformists and he refused to crack down on Hamas and Islamic Jihad.

Listen. Look. We must stop dreaming about the New Middle East and coexistence and harmony and turning this area into Hong Kong and Singapore. If anyone thinks a Palestinian will wake up in the morning and sing the Israeli national anthem, that's not going to happen. If anyone thinks an Israeli Jew will go back to doing his shopping in downtown Ramallah or to see his dentist in Bethlehem or eat fish in Gaza City, that's not going to happen. There has been a total divorce between Jews and Palestinians. We don't want to see each other.

I think that's good. Separation is good.

Believe me, if you listen to Hamas and Fatah in Arabic there isn't much of a difference, especially these days. Fatah fought alongside Hamas in Gaza. Today they said they lost 36 fighters and fired 900 rockets at Israel. Fatah.

he has spunk, and seems very clear-eyed on Hamas.

vimothy

yurp
There is an asymmetry in the negotiations: at the near-end, HAMAS must cede to Israel's central demand (recognition) to begin negotiations, thus removing any further incentive for Israel to make consessions. However, at the far-end, the situation is reversed, and Israel has to trust that the nascent Palestinian state really will cooperate on security issues.

Maybe Chomsky has acccess to intra-HAMAS debates, but it seems to me that both sides face short-term pressures/incentives that mitigate against peace, e.g. the asymmetry noted above, or the desire witnessed over the last few months to frustrate the enemy and prevent him from achieving short-term strategic success. HAMAS and Israel both have pretty rational reasons for not wanting to end the status quo -- that's the problem, no?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
fingers crossed

A Hamas official said Tuesday that Israel has offered to allow in 75 percent of the goods it currently bans from entering the Gaza Strip in exchange for the release of abducted Israel Defense Forces soldier Gilad Shalit, according to the Palestinian Ma'an News Agency.

The remaining 25 percent are goods Israel says could be used to make weapons.

Salah al-Bardawil, a leading Hamas member in the Palestinian parliament, told the Palestinian Ma'an News Agency that his movement would be ready for a prisoner exchange with Israel starting Thursday.

He added that Hamas would, as part of a cease-fire, agree to stop firing projectiles into Israel, and said Hamas had asked for Egypt's help in convincing other factions to show restraint.

(here.)