hangovers

matt b

Indexing all opinion
best thing to do in oxford with a hangover is to go for a walk by the river, hit a nice pub and if it's open (and as good as it used to be), visit peppers. just remember- no sauce on just chips.

I'd forgotten about Peppers - the place in Jericho that offered Shark sauce, right?

What was that burger place in a wooden hut, down by the rail station? I bet that disappeared in a Blairite blandrification pogrom.

Hey HM Govt, I can't find the thread where someone (possibly you) was on about freaky street characters and mentioned the Cambridge guy on a bike with the plastic bag blaring unintelligible rock, and I said I'd never seen him... just started working in town and the dude does laps around the stall where I'm working...all day!

http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?p=2875&highlight=tesco#post2875

Glad he's still going. He was in orbit when I first visited Cambridge in 2001 and still doing laps when I left in 2006. I would like to know his story, but I suspect if you tried to stop him, he'd gut you with a butter knife.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I'd forgotten about Peppers - the place in Jericho that offered Shark sauce, right?

yes indeed. aoli was better though. peter peppers (the owner) was a legend. peppers had a hand in a number of oxford marriages too.

What was that burger place in a wooden hut, down by the rail station? I bet that disappeared in a Blairite blandrification pogrom.

yeah, went with update of station/said business centre.

there'll only be the kebab vans left now i suppose.

STN

sou'wester
The strangest delicacy I've had in the oxford night was doner meat fried with cheese. Yum-tiddly-um.

Oxford just keeps getting worse, both QI and The Polar Bear have shut down.

Gardener's Arms still going strong though.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
the gentrification of cowley road is a national disgrace- rents have more than doubled, i believe which has led to the closure of polar bear etc, whilst chains and bars take over.

hi-lo will be next :(

i once spent the cusp of NYE/ new years day sitting on a curb eating a van kebab. not my proudest moment. quite exciting for oxford in the late 80s though

STN

sou'wester
Hi Lo had better sodding well not be next is all I can say. They can leave off Cafe Excelsior as well, the bastards. Some great curry places down there too. The Zodiac is now Carling whatever too.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
at least in oxford you're allowed to be honest and admit that you have a terrible hangover. anywhere in the USA/Canada, people will look at you funny then stage some sort of intervention.

I wouldn't say this is really true, but if you have a drink with your breakfast in North America, what you call "hair of the dog" they call "alcoholism". The waitress drops her tray, a glass breaks, a baby in the back corner starts to cry, etc...

I used to get hangovers but now I think I've become somewhat immune to them. Although every now and then I'll drink a litre or so of rum and start on pints and the next morning I'm very sorry indeed.

Yellow gatorade.

STN

sou'wester
This is awful. I owe my presence at work this morning to a great deal of berroca, nurofen and dioralite. God, god, god.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This is awful. I owe my presence at work this morning to a great deal of berroca, nurofen and dioralite. God, god, god.

You could probably pass for swine flu! It's worth a go...

Looking at previous discussions on this thread, I need to ask as it's been bothering me: why does Oxford have such a high preponderance of kebab vans? Is this true of any other places in the UK to the same extent?

don_quixote

Trent End
high rents meaning a permanent shop is impossible? i think it's virtually the same in cambridge, they used to have three in the city centre and only one actual shop. whereas in leicester you don't get any vans.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I wish we had kebab vans! We have burger vans, ice cream vans and chinese food vans ("Wok On Wheels").

luka

i never get hangovers i doint understand why ive got such a bad one now. ive just had two iboprofin and im drinking an exceptional coffee so lets see if that helps. otherwise i'll have to drink it away.

luka

drinking now, feel absolutely blessed and im dancing really well. isnt it strange that sometimes we dont dance easily. we're stiff and awakeward, other timjes we're p[ossessed with the dancing god. smiling is the same ive noticed. sometimes i can barely do it at all. other times i look beatific.