the nuum back lash

nomos

Administrator
(Though I tend to see the whole nuum as essentially the story of how reggae got rooted in this country and mutated.)
see i think hyperdub works better for that (or macro dub). erik davis said:

As the fine British music compilation Macro Dub Infection argues in both its title and selections, dub is better seen as a technological virus, it's silly putty beats, active silences, and bubbling, booming bass as nomadic codes that have wormed their way into a host of musical genres: ambient, industrial, trip-hop, techno, pop, jungle, and even experimental rock. Indeed, dub helps erode the artificial differences often erected between these musics, rendering such generic categories increasingly subservient to an open conversation between forms.

whereas a continuum is continuous sequence, an uninterrupted, single line - one story out of many.

mixed_biscuits

so you don't like the music you listen to ?

I do, but I don't think it has much staying-power - theorising a continuity seems to be a stab at prolonging past enjoyment after many of the reasons for it have gone (cf. the reactions to the J-tek revivalists).

Ach! is right tho' - enough continuities are there to justify making connections.

mms

sometimes
Theory doesn't completely work, especially as a lot of the places Niche is big in were Hard House strongholds, really. Lisa Lashes and all them lot used to do a lot of business oop north, it was probably a good job I was doing so many tablets at the time.
Can't deny garage isn't an influence but it's not the only one.

it is new in the way that it fuses hardhouse and garage with ridiculous fairground basslines.
it's not just garage frozen in time imo.

mms

sometimes
there are loads of problems with it - it's region centric brit and class centric - with a kind of inbuilt reaction to anything that's seen to reflect any attempts to move things off these parameters. It often makes for quite a conservative viewpoint as it makes alot of assumptions.
Also trying to include funky house in it now after all these years, when house is an incredibly popular genre and staple of british dance which doesn't really change that much but has loads of regional scenes and microscenes seems like the carpet has been actually pulled from under the genre in a way, house music is like the caretaker in hotel hardcore continnum.

swears

preppy-kei
Funky house includes a lot of stuff that's been excluded from the 'nuum. It's very handbag, a lot of people are into funky now are as likely to have been into to hard house or trance in the late 90s, rather than 2step or D'n'B. It's Barcardi Breezers and white heels rather than MDMA damage and white labels. Yeah, so a bit of shoe-horning going on here?

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
The nuum is fine as it goes - but it's being misapplied by some people and it isn't the whole story.

There's clear links from bassline to grime and garage, just read the blackdown piece on it. I mean, Geeneus makes some!

straight

wings cru
Funky house includes a lot of stuff that's been excluded from the 'nuum. It's very handbag, a lot of people are into funky now are as likely to have been into to hard house or trance in the late 90s, rather than 2step or D'n'B. It's Barcardi Breezers and white heels rather than MDMA damage and white labels. Yeah, so a bit of shoe-horning going on here?

was the transition from dnb to garage as forced as that blackdown article suggests in relation to the switch to funky? the whole thing really seems like the london scene cashing in a bit on what it has realised in ayia napa this year: what fills dancefloors else where in the uk. and with roll deep and co on board isn't it just going to just lead to softened 4x4 grime? feel free to disagree, just a passing thought.

And relation to any comments made about no-one caring about grime on here id say they were in relation to your average club goer/record buyer. i know first hand from promoters losing a mint pushing grime in manchester. personally my interest waned for a bit after kano, dizzy and sov went off the boil but in last year through barefiles etc the radio side of it showed me how lively the scene still is musically

Last edited:

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
The continuum is literal because so many producers are influenced by what thier dads or older brothers were into, and then mashing that into what they hear on the radio. So you get wierd hybrids of elements that are very local, with those that are exotic and rootless.

The 'plaintive song over a bouncy manic beat' thing that you get in bassline goes all the way back to northern soul. Lots of bassline producers will have dads or even *gulp* grand-dads who were mods and soulboys.

Conversely, there's no African element in northern hardcore because the immigrant community up here is so small compared to London. I've said it before, you can't get a handle on where Grime came from without looking at things like hip-life and kuduru, and the huge increase in west African migrants to London over the last 10 years.

Wierd that the bleep-and-bassiness of early dubstep hasn't made it into bassline in any way. After all bleep and bass is from Sheffield.

ether

it's convenient shorthand but it misses a lot and it's been lazily overused as the basis for personal moans and grand generalizations

kind of reminds me of how sometimes marxism is used as a 'intellectual' calling card. when its irrelevant to what its being applied to.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I think it's going to be quite important to make a distinction between 'funky house' and 'funky'. It's not the same thing. Although if you listen to a lot of sets it will be filled with regular US house tunes, some minimal etc, there are more and more UK productions coming to the fore that have a somewhat different sound and emphasis. Check out some of the later posts on the Funky thread on here: http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=6874&page=9
There are definitely echoes of ukg, grime sounds, real sub basslines, not all 4x4 beats, some African house influences etc. It is still emerging, it's not fully formed, but neither was ukg in 95/96, so give it time.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Can't you just read the continuum as being whatever is played on a certain selection of London pirate stations? And therefore isn't there a continuum between DJs/show hosts as much as there is between performers?

bassnation

the abyss
it is new in the way that it fuses hardhouse and garage with ridiculous fairground basslines.
it's not just garage frozen in time imo.

it sounds nothing like hard house - i could pull out some speed garage records and compare and contrast. might post up a few links when i've got time.

straight

wings cru
it sounds nothing like hard house - i could pull out some speed garage records and compare and contrast. might post up a few links when i've got time.
Some of the ropier stuff does seem to overlap with scouse house/wigan pier/donk end of hard house. The stuff djs like danny boyd plays harks back to the older tony de vit style of hard house rather than the contemporary gatecrasher incarnation but it definitely appeals to a lot of this crowd. but then again that 93-94 periodthat was probably quite an influence on speed garage and we're goin round in circles again.

elgato

I just dont know
Sorry to wander further off topic (maybe we should move to the Bassline House thread?) but...

I've yet to hear a bassline tune that is remotely similar to any earlier speed garage in vibe, other than maybe stuff like Serious Danger which feels as much tribal house and trance as uk garage. imo things like the DND mix of Reach & Spin and post-2000 grimey 4x4 and such are the only things that come even close, and then its only with the more screwface strands - from what I hear almost all Northern stuff has so little in common with speed garage outside of formal structure. Speed garage always seems to me mutated JA and jungle mashed with a more druggy US soulful house and garage, this stuff is like grime on pills and amphetamines to my ears (forgive my drug reference?). In that regard, someone like Mala is actually a much better candidate as the contemporary exponent of speed garage

An influence which I am yet to hear articulated but which I hear in a lot of Bassline is main-room jump-up drum & bass - does anyone else hear that?

bassnation

the abyss
Sorry to wander further off topic (maybe we should move to the Bassline House thread?) but...

I've yet to hear a bassline tune that is remotely similar to any earlier speed garage in vibe, other than maybe stuff like Serious Danger which feels as much tribal house and trance as uk garage.

well i've got a stack of speed garage tunes at my ex-wifes house which sound very similar indeed to the tunes on the mixes people have been posting. the vox, the basslines, the jump up aspect - when i next go down there i'll encode them to mp3 and you can decide for yourself. also going to grab all my 2-step tunes and rip those too.

mms

sometimes

its quite full on 4 4 and very in yer face.
it's got none of the swing of alot of speed garage.

elgato

I just dont know
well i've got a stack of speed garage tunes at my ex-wifes house which sound very similar indeed to the tunes on the mixes people have been posting. the vox, the basslines, the jump up aspect - when i next go down there i'll encode them to mp3 and you can decide for yourself. also going to grab all my 2-step tunes and rip those too.

ok cool i'll look forward to it :)

bassnation

the abyss
its quite full on 4 4 and very in yer face.
it's got none of the swing of alot of speed garage.

i'm thinking of tunes like bugsys theme (but what was the artist??) which was quite stomping 4/4. i remember hearing it being played like 3 times in one night at trade of all places. it did have a lot of swing in the drums though, apart from the reversed farty bass could easily have passed for a house tune.