Great soul LPs

Benny Bunter

My friend always goes on about some 60s garage/Nuggets CD Mojo did. And he's allergic to those kind of retro magazines.

That'd probably be that 'Instant Garage' CD they did, that was brilliant actually. AMAZING rocakabilly/feedback version of 'Jailhouse Rock' by Dean Carter among the more obvious choices (Psychotic Reaction etc). Stopped buying that magazine ages ago, but they definitely put out some great compilations, especially Soul/Blues/Reggae ones. Can't knock em for that really.

crackerjack

His Rockin in the same old boat is an amazing bit of hauntological soul, fantastic. Goes really well with late 80s cabaret voltaire..

If you want some hauntological* Bobby Bland i'd recommend Lead Me On - now that is some otherworldly shit

*not that i really know what it means, it's just this record fits my mental image of it

gumdrops

obviously all the stevie wonder 70s lps up to songs in the key of life are essential, as are the 70s isley brothers albums, but if you only get one from each, then get innervisions and 3+3. also get donny hathaways live album - most of his albums are patchy and even this one is a bit hit and miss too, but its probably his best album overall, has great covers (lennons jealous guy and whats going on, which when i first heard it, thought it was as good as marvin gayes, but now im less enthusiastic about that). also get aretha's young gifted and black, which has rocksteady. everyone goes on about her 60s stuff as its canonical but she was still making great stuff in the 70s. also get marvin gayes i want you and here my dear. less famous stuff you could get - shuggie otis' inspiration information, curtis' sweet exorcist, graham central stations first album (more on the funk side but larry graham was a really good songwriter, albeit very sly-sounding, in the beginning), labelles nightbirds album (produced by allan toussaint, whose album with southern nights from a whisper to a scream is worth finding - hes not the most arresting vocalist but the songwriting is really strong) or chameleon, minnie riperton's perfect angel and syreeta's stevie wonder presents syreeta (both produced by stevie), roberta flack's killing me softly, also EWF's stuff is pretty essential - thats the way of the world, gratitude (cant hide me love is brilliant), or spirit are all worth getting.... theres loads of stuff you could get really. hopefully i mentioned some stuff that hasnt been said already. ive listed 70s soul really, just cos thats my favourite period, and when i think it matured, but theres tons of good 60s stuff too.

Last edited:

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Ten minute live version of The Ghetto? Yes please. Rest of it not nearly so good.

Would like to refix The Ghetto.

I like the slower ones too! Hello Friend is a really sweet song. But yeah, the bit at the end of the Ghetto where he gets the men and women in the audience to sing different backing parts ("Don't stop, ladies!") is awesome.

Aretha In Paris is another storming live soul LP.

DRMHCP

On the smoother jazzy tip..Leon Ware by Leon Ware (includes "This Is Why I Came To California")
Something by Bill Withers even if its just one of his compilations.
And "Live In New Orleans" by Maze featuring Frankie Beverly including both sides of the "Joy and Pain"/"Happy Feelin's" single...

...this sort of ties in with the "jukebox" thread as these 2 tracks plus "Shante" by Mass Production, "Cyclopse" by Eddie Henderson, "Don't Stop the Feelin" - Roy Ayers, "You're the one for me" by D-Train, Jazzy Dee "Get on Up", "White Lines" by Grandmaster Flash and a few others WERE the jukebox at my local boozer in my mid teens...happy days

stevied

More Recommendations - Here my Dear Exp ed

first two Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band albums- bizarrely awesome and David Toop's truly magnificent Sugar & Poison compilation- a kind of android sexsoul collection.

Oh, Betty Davis (Miles' ex) - her first 2 except they're kind of soul, kind of funk.

STN,

There are some good recommendations from people on this little thread on the great Sugar and Poison comp.

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=5777

By the way, you can get the first 2 Syreeta albums on one CD now from Hip O Select. Here`s there website :

http://www.hip-oselect.com/default.asp

Also, just noticed that they have an Expanded Edition of Here My Dear. Came out in Dec 07. Has anyone got this yet? Thoughts?

petergunn

plywood violin
Aretha In Paris is another storming live soul LP.

i am not saying this just to be contrary, but that record is boring! way too sedate...

Live at Fillmore West is the aretha live record to get...

also the King Curtis Live at Fillmore West record recorded the same day is pretty great... the version of "whole lotta love" on there is just sick... they cop the arrangement of the CCS version and crank it up like 2 notches...

i believe they were reissued together in some sort of boxset format...