Don't blame the Hain!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Now this I don't get: if he's innocent, why does he feel he has to resign? Isn't his resignation more or less an admission of guilt?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7206812.stm

I've not really been paying attention to this story, to be fair, as "Labour MP in the shit over dodgy donations" registers at about the newsworthyness level of "Rain expected tomorrow" - so there may well be more to it than that...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OK, so this is obviously a lot less interesting than I thought it might be to some people.

jenks

thread death
No i think this is important because it shows yet again teh morally bankrupt nature of the bloke. He is only going now the Police are involved.

When the story broke his arrogance was astounding. A think tank with no published research, no web site,but ploughing huge piles of undeclared cash into his campaign. Yet he felt that he had no need to answer any questions

I'm glad he's had to resign and i hope they find him guilty.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I haven't really got much to say but, yeah, the government is in a right state.

Isn't his resignation more or less an admission of guilt?
Pretty much I'd say - although I'm sure he doesn't see it like that. Arrogance is right.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nobody is really that shocked because all this shite is just par for the course now.

Yeah, that's just what I thought - it was just the seeming disparity between his claims and his actions that struck me. On Newsnight last night it even sounded like he was planning to resign so he could 'clear his name' and then resume his political career once he's supposedly done that.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
That's terrible isn't it - that we become acclimatised to lowlife behaviour from politicians. Corruption-creep. Thing is I always expect people like him to come a cropper anyway, so it's also no surprise in that respect. Tosser.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just like when the Tories were in power, at the end they were a mess, Labour are at the same stage now I suppose. However often Major/Brown said/says "I want to draw a line under it, put it behind us and have no more scandals" they really can't keep that tight a rein on everyone. And anyway Major was boffing Edwina Currie as well so he could hardly take the scandal free high-ground - it was only luck that prevented that coming out.

mixed_biscuits

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Why corruption amongst politicians is a suprise to anyone is beyond me. Isn't this to be expected?
It might not be a surprise but that doesn't mean you have to condone it as normal. That's a slippery slope, you have to have some standards and principles otherwise there's no reason to try and get decent people into these positions.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Why corruption amongst politicians is a suprise to anyone is beyond me. Isn't this to be expected?"
Because they have an incentive to cheat right?
I dunno, you still kind of think (hope?) that some of them might resist the temptation don't you - however naively.

vimothy

yurp
Because they have an incentive to cheat right?
I dunno, you still kind of think (hope?) that some of them might resist the temptation don't you - however naively.

Yeah, exactly -- and I think that at least some of them do resist the temptation, but you have to expect that many will not.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
However often Major/Brown said/says "I want to draw a line under it, put it behind us and have no more scandals" they really can't keep that tight a rein on everyone.

Trouble is, if they do that they start getting called a 'control freak'.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The 'signed to a major' thing would be funnier if he'd been a Tory...

Actually, I think the main thing that annoys me about this case is: since when has 'incompetence' been a countable noun?

Last edited: