Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: documentary films

My favorite Herzog doc is The Great Ecstacy of Woodcarver Steiner; slow motion shots of ski-jumpers in mid-air. Though Lessons of Darkness (Kuwaiti oil fires) and Fata Morgana are well-worth seeking out. Grizzly Man (the documentary of the Grizzly Man music sessions [called In the Edges] is fantastic if you are a fan of Richard Thompson [keep an eye out for Jim O'Rourke putting screws in the piano!]) and Little Dieter Needs to Fly can't be left out.

Grey Gardens is classic. After it ended, I just started playing the disc again.

Chris Marker's Sans Soleil is required viewing. I had the good fortune of seeing this on film some years back. But DVD seems rather more appropriate.

The Sun Ra doc, A Joyful Noise, is pretty great for Ra fans. Lots of footage of the man himself rambling on about time and the cosmos. Shots of him inside the Masonic Grand Lodge in Philly, and the band playing on the roof of the International House.

Quote Originally Posted by empty mirror View Post
    Grey Gardens is classic. After it ended, I just started playing the disc again.
    was also a well-received Broadway play last year...surely, sit-com heaven is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Kraft View Post
    There are two surreal Nature Docs I'd dearly love to track down..
    I want to see these two as well now!

Quote Originally Posted by labrat View Post
    this fellows stuff is beautiful http://www.sensesofcinema.com/conten.../painleve.html
    Love life of the octopus soundtrack by pierre henry too!
    going to have to buy the dvd there.

I enjoyed hell house.

ulrich siedl's tierische liebe is another jawdropper. finally got hold of that recently. forgot about morris' vernon florida, and also i saw an affecting swedish doc of teen delinquents a few years ago, dom kallar oss mods.

sans soleil isn't really a documentary- if we can have that in here we can almost have spinal tap as well

Quote Originally Posted by fokse vektaire xeven View Post

I enjoyed hell house.

sans soleil isn't really a documentary- if we can have that in here we can almost have spinal tap as well
    hell house was fantastic! born-again christians is mainly a US-phenomenon, no?

as far as sans soleil not being a documentary... i wonder how strict we have to be about the term. herzog does not consider his docs to be documentary, but prefers the term "science fiction" because he is known to fabricate/stretch the truth in service to a deeper artistic, ecstatic truth, rather than the truth of book-keepers. nevertheless, you and i would consider those films documentaries rather than "science fiction" for the ease of communication and a facile taxonomy. i have no trouble considering sans soleil a documentary because it is a document of a poetic truth, a mapping of the mind of an earth traveler.

i forgot to list Agnes Varda's documentary "The Gleaners and I". Another poem in film; this one explores the act of gleaning; that is, stooping to gather what is valuable, and leaving behind the detritus.

Grizzly Man (the documentary of the Grizzly Man music sessions [called In the Edges] is fantastic if you are a fan of Richard Thompson [keep an eye out for Jim O'Rourke putting screws in the piano!])
    huh? i've seen this but don't remember no jim o'rourke?

i really enjoyed the faux documentary about herzog making a documentary about the Loch Ness monster as well - Incident at Loch Ness. some genuine WTF moments for me.

Sans Soleil
    this is one of the few things i need to have around at all times. who knows how many times i've seen it, and everytime as if not more enjoyable than the last.

went to a chris marker "festival" once and saw some other equally as amazing things... one about Africa was so amazing... i need to track it down pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    huh? i've seen this but don't remember no jim o'rourke?

i really enjoyed the faux documentary about herzog making a documentary about the Loch Ness monster as well - Incident at Loch Ness. some genuine WTF moments for me.

heh heh heh

jim o'rourke was in "In the Edges" the doc about the making of the music for "Grizzly Man" just in case you thought i was saying that Jim O'Rourke was in the latter...

That mockumentary Incident at Loch Ness was decent. A bit too clever for my taste, I think. I can only be nudged in the ribs so much before i begin bruising. The extras on the DVD are better than the film, methinks.

Someone should start a Mockumentary thread.

EVEN STATUES DIE
    (Les statues meurent aussi)
    A film by Alain Resnais and Chris Marker

This collaborative film, banned for more than a decade by French censors as an attack on French colonialism (and now available only in shortened form), is a deeply felt study of African art and the decline it underwent as a result of its contact with Western civilization. Markerís characteristically witty and thoughtful commentary is combined with images of a stark formal beauty in this passionate outcry against the fate of an art that was once integral to communal life but became debased as it fell victim to the demands of another culture.

Default Curtains

So it looks like Stage6 is shutting down, on Thursday! Get your downloads on and post any suggestions for good stuff you know of / come across.

www.stage6.com

i never figured out how to search for stuff on that site. or how to download.

but it's pretty easy to torrent anything these days...

Are there any good documentaries about UK Acid House? In the middle of reading Altered States and within its pages it describes lots of media news coverage. Iím hoping there are good docs with quality stock footage out there.

Quote Originally Posted by nochexxx View Post
    Are there any good documentaries about UK Acid House? In the middle of reading Altered States and within its pages it describes lots of media news coverage. I’m hoping there are good docs with quality stock footage out there.
    I've looked all over and there's disappointingly little. I think there was a TV doc made at the time which is floating around. Can't remember the title offhand.

There was also this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0847411/. It's a three-part dance music history from CH4. I can't remember how much time it spends on acid or hardcore (which probably means that it could have been more).

Check for torrents and YouTubes. Also, you can buy Fantazia DVDs - both the original compilation videos and raw footage ones.
    Last edited by nomos; 20-08-2009 at 05:31 PM.
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic ĽĽ deeptime.net

shame there is so little.

although this looks promising!

any of the essay-films by black audio film collective are worth tracking down... you can watch 'handsworth songs' on google video.

chris marker, agnes varda, alain renais and a few others made a collaborative film called 'loin du vietnam' that is a stunner.

'jaguar' by jean rouch (zhao i think you'd love this one). rouch filmed three friends journeying to the gold coast in the late 50's, went back about six years later and had those three friends improvise narration that jumps all over the place, temporally and otherwise.

hour of the furnaces.

79 springtimes for ho chi minh

symbiopsychotaxiplam: take one-william greaves

videogrammes of a revolution-harun farocki

que viva mexico

los angeles plays itself

surreal nature docs - would recommend hellstrom chronicles - think i mentioned that b4

not sure if humphrey jennings has had a mention
    also dark days, the exceptionally strange paradise lost, which is a bit in the errol morris tradition, also for the sports fans, dogtown and riding the giants - stacey peralta are both great.

also the 3 decline of western civilisation films are great, esp the la metal one.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9KCS8d82EM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9KCS8d82EM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

surreal nature docs - would recommend hellstrom chronicles - think i mentioned that b4

not sure if humphrey jennings has had a mention
    also dark days, the exceptionally strange paradise lost, which is a bit in the errol morris tradition, also for the sports fans, dogtown and riding the giants - stacey peralta are both great.

also the 3 decline of western civilisation films are great, esp the la metal one.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9KCS8d82EM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9KCS8d82EM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>