Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: documentary films

surreal nature docs - would recommend hellstrom chronicles - think i mentioned that b4

not sure if humphrey jennings has had a mention
    also dark days, the exceptionally strange paradise lost, which is a bit in the errol morris tradition, also for the sports fans, dogtown and riding the giants - stacey peralta are both great.

also the 3 decline of western civilisation films are great, esp the la metal one.

which i can't seem to embed....

anyone seen 'Lake Of Fire', Tony Kaye's documentary about abortion in the US?

Probably a bit passe for you lot but the film part of 'It Felt Like A Kiss' is typically well put together Adam Curtis faire. Some nice connections, great footage and a fine soundtrack as usual.

You can watch here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurti..._the_film.html

Watched this on youboob recently.

Touched - Laurel Chiten's doc that follows a couple of people who've had alien abduction experiences.

Trinity & Beyond - The Atomic Bomb Movie is pretty good. It's narrated by William Shatner (as most things should be in my opinion) and is essentially a condensed history of nuclear weaponary between the mid 40s and the mid 60s, told through archive footage with a rather excited classical soundtrack.

http://www.vce.com/trinity.html

^ i had that taped to a VHS. great doc. i watched it over and over with the sound off; forced marriages with tangerine dream or whatever.

i am just reading Barefoot Gen, a comic from the perspective of a hiroshima survivor. mind-boggling. even after 60-odd years it is still hard to wrap your head around that kind of destructive power.

Quote Originally Posted by empty mirror View Post
    forced marriages with tangerine dream or whatever.
    I used to do that when I'd been smoking a lot at uni, often with Vangelis Beauborg.

I'm utterly fascinated by nuclear weapons, my brain just can't seem to process the magnitude of their destructive power.

I seem to remember something about the Enola Gay co-pilot never being able to overcome the horror of when they had done at Hiroshima and becoming a depressed alcoholic, though I can't find any reference to it now.

just watched 'when saturn returnz,' the goldie documentary last night. so well done, lacking in all the usual bullshit that music docs fall prey to.

big up colston hayter !

as mentioned in the beatles thread , the salesman

amazing stuff about door to door bible and encyclopedia salesmen they went on to do the doc about the beatles first US tour and also 'gimme shelter' the stones at alamont.
    Last edited by mms; 06-09-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFence View Post
    I'm utterly fascinated by nuclear weapons, my brain just can't seem to process the magnitude of their destructive power.
    Same here.

What's incredible is that the jump in destructive power between the early weapons of the '40s and the H-bombs of the '50s was of a similar magnitude to the jump from common-or-garden high explosives to Little Boy and Fat Man. The Soviets tested a bomb in 1961 that had about three thousand times the yield of the Hiroshima weapon.

The history of their development is full of weird shit, too - you had people like John von Neumann (one of the last century's greatest scientists and mathematicians, said by some to leave Einstein in the dust for sheer brain power) advocated a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the USSR in the late '40s before they developed their own bomb...Edward Teller led a campaign during the Manhattan Project to skip fission devices altogether and go straight to a fusion bomb, and later testified against the Project's leader Oppenheimer during the latter's security clearance hearing. Seems he was also instrumental in kick-starting Israel's nuclear programme. Crazy times.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 07-09-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

further understand the gravitas of fela kutis life and music

Watched the Enron doc, Smartest Guys in the Room, last week. Pretty cool film. My favourite bit was a clip of an advert featuring one of the top execs at Enron. IIRC, in the advert, he was explaining to some (I guess) prospective investors. "Next year, we will increase primary revenue by $20 billion, and trading revenue by $40 billion. And how will we accomplish this? By moving from fair-value accounting to something I call HVA – hypothetical value accounting…”

Ha – dems some smart guys alright – that’s fucking genius!

Watched '102 Minutes That Changed America' last night on Channel 4.

I never thought of it before, but where were the military?

oh fir sure the fela doc is deeeep makes me want to live in a commune with 50 wives and lounge around in the sun wearing nothing but a pair of red briefs and smoking turbo zoots.