documentary films

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
watched gime shelter tonight which came out on criterion recently
another maysles bros film, about the altamont stones concert if you didn't know - perhaps the best documentary i've seen, it's hell on earth, absolute hell, wretched.

it's brilliant, isn't it. saw it on video a while back. Jagger is such a wretched person.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
a friend of mine got the chance to go to NY to dig through the maysles archives for his final paper for some degree or other. he was not treated extremely well.

anyhow, yeah, "gimme shelter" is great and all but "cocksucker blues" is jawdropping. the stones' roadies makes the stones look like the sundays (remember them?)

mms

sometimes
a friend of mine got the chance to go to NY to dig through the maysles archives for his final paper for some degree or other. he was not treated extremely well.

anyhow, yeah, "gimme shelter" is great and all but "cocksucker blues" is jawdropping. the stones' roadies makes the stones look like the sundays (remember them?)

not the same thing at all really whole different level of quality and chaos and massiveness
cocksucker blues is really boring punctuated by shitty behaviour. gimme shelter is much more subtle.

Last edited:

robin

i'd highly recommend the social life of small urban spaces,which is on youtube.

its a documentary about a study conducted on why some public spaces,plazas,squares,parks,etc, work,and why some don't. the narrator seems to be the guy who conducted the study,and is charming,witty and thought provoking as he explains his findings over footage filmed at the locations that were studied for the project.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E661399B12D3843A

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
coconut revolution - the bougainville story

pretty inspiring david and goliath type story about a group of natives on the pacific island of bougainville standing up against Rio Tinto Zinc's (the largest jewel supplier in the world) efforts to turn their island into a giant quarry. the islanders come up with all kinds of crazy improvised weapons and technology, including some surprising uses for coconuts.

TeN

i'd highly recommend the social life of small urban spaces,which is on youtube.

its a documentary about a study conducted on why some public spaces,plazas,squares,parks,etc, work,and why some don't. the narrator seems to be the guy who conducted the study,and is charming,witty and thought provoking as he explains his findings over footage filmed at the locations that were studied for the project.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E661399B12D3843A

YES! fantastic documentary

Bangpuss

Been watching a lot of docs lately, and I've seen some crackers.

Baby Fight Club on Channel 4 / 4OD is amazing. About the kids (including girls) as young as 5 in the UK who punch the living daylights out of one another for 'fun'. Well, if you buy the argument that their parents are offering them 'encouragement' rather than pretty much forcing them to do it. The Dads are the kind of Dads you get starting fights on the touchline at under 10s football matches, but these guys want their kids to be professional fighters, and they get pissed off when they lose.

Rock The Bells--following a California promoter's attempt to get all 10 members of Wu-Tang Clan on the same stage for his festival for the first time in about 7 years. Gripping stuff as the crowds storm the arena without paying, the arena is jam-packed, people are passing out with heat exhaustion and there's still no sign of Ol' Dirty Bastard, who is refusing to leave his hotel. Highly recommend this, plays out like a thriller as well as an informative piece of film-making.

The Carter--I heard rave reviews about this Lil Wayne documentary, but it's pretty boring. What you'd expect of a superstar rapper who has too much money and is surrounded by Yes men. I don't like his music, so that's probably why I didn't enjoy as much as others did. There's no real drama or plot progression like in Rock The Bells.

McLibel--follows the two people who were sued for libel by McDonalds and defended themselves at the High Court against McDonalds' million dollar legal team. This, as well as many other social / political docs can be viewed free here:

http://www.freedocumentaries.org

luka

rock the bells is great. i like lil wayne but agree the documentary is very dull and made me like him less. i dont think i got to the end.

muser

folie a deux, puff of madness or enhanced soldier chicks on the loose?

fuck thats amazing. Defintitely go with 3, genetically engineered clones from the future, stopping some kind of impending apocalyptc event. Or they are both just nuts. Not sure what the difference is supposed to be between "bouffée de folie" and just having acute psychosis, couldnt really find anything on it either. Sounds like something that was cooked up a while ago for legal reasons when they had no idea what to do.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I remember seeing that a couple of years ago - just utterly nuts. "Call the police!" - "WE ARE the police!" :rolleyes:

One for the crystal meth thread, maybe? Edit: wow, in the second part it says no drugs were found in either of them...you can see why people used to believe in demonic possession, witchcraft and whatnot. Still do in many places, I guess.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
Defintitely go with 3, genetically engineered clones from the future, stopping some kind of impending apocalyptc event. Or they are both just nuts.

perhaps they’re aliens / hybirds, culture-shocked outcasts, left on earth and lacking the will to survive on our planet. Subeena says the paramedics will try to steal our organs. three times (?) she was hit by traffic traveliing at about 50 mph, also repeatdly beating herself with a hammer demonstrates unearthly powers. She also survived a 40 foot jump onto a motorcade with ongloing traffic.

Bangpuss

Catfish

The film about some young guys who film and investigate the weird relationship that develops between their friend and a stranger on Facebook who messaged him randomly. It's labelled as a Hitchcock thriller that the master of suspense never made, and there are points when you think this woman whom their friend is having this cyber-relationship may be a Norman Bates type. But ultimately, I don't think it has such a unique subject matter as people have claimed. The fact that these guys filmed the experience is what sets it apart, rather than it being something genuinely unique. I'm sure the online world has way creepier beings than the mystery woman whose life appears to have been fabricated or exaggerated.

Some people are saying that it's fake, I don't think it is because they would have come up with something way more scary if this had been the case.

Anyone else seen it?

Sectionfive

bandwagon house

Out this week. http://www.thepipethefilm.com/main-sect/

Might be a bit parochial but it happens everywhere and should interest some of you.

It follows a community in the west struggling against Shell's plans to extract gas and bring it on-shore to be processed in their backyard.
There is also the issue of how €420 billion+ worth of natural resources were 'given away' by politicians who were later convicted of corruption.
More background here

I can't really stress how bitter the whole thing is but the whole thing is a massive piss take.
Well worth the watch if you get a chance.