documentary films

rubberdingyrapids

paris is burning. new york + black gay scene + house music + amazing personalities and stories and brilliant depth and feel for all the interviewees and their backgrounds and motivations = brilliant documentary making.

zhao

there are no accidents
... the analysis of his dance choreography showed how much he knew his dance history shit...

Darius James, who made the "United States of Hoodoo" documentary film, about the rebirth of ancient African gods/spirits/demons in contemporary North America, traces the moonwalk back to West African Yoruba rituals... i need to get him on tape talking about this next time because i sadly don't remember the details.

zhao

there are no accidents
Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but Benda Bilili!, about a group of (mostly disabled) homeless musicians from DR Congo who rehearse in a zoo, is fantastic. My girlfriend cried at the end when they play at some European festival and make the crowd move like I've never seen a crowd move before. The kid who plays the self-built one-string guitar is amazing. All in all, a real great story, and it helps that their music is wicked as well.

still dying to see this after all this time... you should catch the band when they play sometime; i have 3 times now: one of them gets out of the wheel chair to dance on his hands, the boy with the home-made-cambell-soup-can-and-rubber-band guitar is all grown up now, and sometimes get on the mic toward end of the show... altogether more energy and more soul than 99% of bands with legs.

Numbers

Just saw The Cleaners, an Arte documentary on the moderators of western social media outsourced to the Fillipines. It's quite something and certainly worth watching.

sufi

lala
this you will find mesmerisingly fascinating or ultra-boring

The Ghan follows one of the world's great rail journeys, taking viewers on an immersive and visually stunning ride on Australia's most iconic passenger trains. Known as the Ghan, it travels for 2979 kilometres over 54 hours from the bottom to the top of the country. It begins in the suburban city of Adelaide, traversing a seemingly endless outback that includes the magnificent red centre, ending in the tropical coastal town of Darwin at the north western tip of Australia. The transcontinental train line led to the development of central Australia and the growth of towns along its path - Port Augusta, Alice Springs and Darwin. It took an epic 127 years to complete and was constructed by local Aboriginal surveyors and early immigrants, including the famous Afghan camel drivers, after whom the train is named.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bq3jnv/the-ghan-australias-greatest-train-journey

catalog

i enjoyed this about joe rush and mutoid waste.

was vaguely aware of them and used to walk nearby to their unit, i guess, without knowing they were there.

carhenge, that's a really good one.

it turns out his dad did jackanory.

there's a good bit quite near the beginning where he talks about how when you are pushed for time, you prioritise getting something done, so this short circuits your conscious mind a bit and you reach our for something random, or the chance comes in. I like that.