Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the end of the Reagan/Rove right?

nomadologist Guest

What? No. In America, it's the democrats/liberals who (for the last hundred years or so) endorsed "big government"-style social programs and policy-making.

Luv to see a woman prez , but not this Hillary
    Too much baggage and mismanaged campaign.

Def believe Obama will be better against McCain
    And with 70 % of young voters going for Obama ,
    McCain is far along on that 'wrong side of history'
    Totally agree! I might have voted for Hillary if the Hillary of 95 was running, but this is not the same Hillary.

Also, even republicans like Obama. He's a force to be reckoned with, she's a bureaucrat. I think we could do without a DC "insider" in the oval office for a nice change of pace.

nomadologist Guest

I see what the issue is--when I said "classically" liberal, I should have just said "typically". I didn't mean to refer to the idea of "classical liberalism", I meant to refer to typically "liberal democrat" ideals from the last century or so.

You're right about "classical liberalism" being anti-big government.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I reckon that's probably true.... unless, I just have a sneaking suspicion that there might be a hidden resistance to having a black/woman president. I seem to remember in the past where there has been a large discrepancy between the polls and the actual results and one mooted explanation is that people have been unwilling to recognise their inbuilt racism/sexism and have said in the polls that they are perfectly happy to vote for a candidate that when it comes down to it they really aren't.
    It’s called the Bradley Effect. Some claim the NH primary polls, which suggested a sweeping Obama victory, suffered from this. Although its presence in this race’s dynamic is far from clear.

Yes, but it could well make an ugly comeback should Obama set his foot wrong somewhere between now and November 4th. I rest my case until I’ve seen Obama go aggro. The “angry black male” and all that.

Also, the GE is a whole different kettle of fish, what with the majority of the voters’ in the Democratic primaries being female, a pretty substantial percentage coming from ethnic minorities, etc. Wooing white, “patriotic,” ex-Bushites — now that’s a different story.

Hmm, that could be ( GE being different) -ya never know
    but if you've seen BO's recent poll numbers ,
    every group including older voters is going his way.
    Already dead heat in Texas which weeks ago was supposed to be Hillary's territory.
    Momentum is at work and seems to be building.

nomadologist Guest

From listening to some old time political journalists talk, I've been pursuaded that Obama is obviously going to take the nomination.

Yay.

what were you listening to the maclaughlin group? =) unfortunately nothing is done yet...one more week to find out and move on

So what's the consensus in America about Obama's speech? The quotes I've seen looked pretty spectacular and he's shot up in my estimation (I liked him before, but thought he was mostly just wind), but is it gonna do him any good?

Obama needs to start looking for a dull, uncontroversial running mate who's strong on policy, particularly economic policy.

Then he can do the 'hope' thing without looking like a lightweight. Plus if mccain gets nailed on economic policy for 6 months, from someone who knows what thy're talking about, he won't be able to keep up.

Looks like we have two more Obama speeches to go ( On Iraq and ... Iraq =economy connection ?)
    this week alone.
    Was good to hear him say what he said, but yeah, will it get Joe Sixpack's vote in Penn. another thing ...

McCain's verbal gaffes in Iraq yesterday were in line with ol' George W's own.
    Voices of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by Gabba Flamenco Crossover View Post
    Obama needs to start looking for a dull, uncontroversial running mate who's strong on policy, particularly economic policy.
    He just fired his best adviors! Ri-cock-ulous

Then he can do the 'hope' thing without looking like a lightweight. Plus if mccain gets nailed on economic policy for 6 months, from someone who knows what thy're talking about, he won't be able to keep up.
    What the hell was McCain talking about, Iran training al Qaeda? Pretty worrying...

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    He just fired his best adviors! Ri-cock-ulous
    who?