creativity habits/curves/tricks

zhao

there are no accidents
"I stopped painting in 1990 at the peak of my success just to deny people my beautiful paintings; and I did it out of spite."

who said that?

yes i've heard other recommendations on The Artist's Way. might have to read it sometime...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think it's interesting what you are attempting with discipline and systematizing zhao. Be curious to know how that works out for ya... I guess if you have to come up with stuff for clients to meet deadlines there's got to be some work where it's kind of pseudo-creative rehashing or employment of schemes and formulas. I don't mean that in a negative way, it's probably necessary, you can't give everything the big deep push.

Last edited:

ether

this is something i've thought about quite a bit, with many doomed creative endeavorers under my belt.

I dropped out of art school because i was really struggling to come up with any good ideas and felt creatively bankrupt also with music dedicating 5 hours a day to music for about 3 years, i realized that whilst i taught myself alot, some of those naive early attempts at making music i like more than the stuff I was making before i hung up the headphones for good.

I tend to find a certain level of detachment helps, theres nothing like pressure to focus you, but rarely do my best ideas come in such circumstances.

little strategies, disciplines or routines can be useful to overcome creative blocks, the best ideas tend to come I find with very little introspective thought and where theres no sense of consequence.

zhao

there are no accidents
I think it's interesting what you are attempting with discipline and systematizing zhao. Be curious to know how that works out for ya...

at the moment i realize i waste too much time. I'm 32, and there is a lot i want to do in this life. something has to change. i know i can do it, i've got everything necessary, but also some bad habits and baggage holding me back. 90 yard dashes are easy, but a marathon is what i have in mind -- there are no short cuts. above all it takes perseverance, one small step at a time -- it will mean saying no or at least drastically cutting down vices, sacrificing immediate pleasures (of which I am so, so fond of) for much bigger and much more fulfilling rewards in the long run. it will mean, ultimately, truly believing in myself, something much easier said then done, against all odds. fuck the rest.

I guess if you have to come up with stuff for clients to meet deadlines there's got to be some work where it's kind of pseudo-creative rehashing or employment of schemes and formulas. I don't mean that in a negative way, it's probably necessary, you can't give everything the big deep push.

yes you are right. that's why it's easy and that's why it is not that satisfying.

as much as i do enjoy the commercial work i want to eventually phase out of it and try to produce work, musical or material or immaterial, of true lasting value...

swears

preppy-kei
I used be able to make really good "Rolf's Cartoon Club" style noises with my mouth and hands, even inventing new ones. In the end, people were hassling me so much to do them that I denied them the pleasure of witnessing my unique and precious talent.

OUT OF SPITE.

zhao

there are no accidents
good stuff from another board:

triplesexchange:
getting up early. 8 or 9 am. very small breakfast. strong coffee, then work non-stop until 1 or 2 pm. save rest of the afternoon for dicking around on the internet/errands etc... this is the only routine that allows me to remain consistently creative day after day. it's much easier when you're up doing your shit before your brain is fully awake. I find that I second guess myself more and more as the day goes on.

cons:
1. if you don't have a 9-5 it's hard to get in a routine where you get up at 8 or 9am. djing at night makes this even harder.
2. pretty much rules out morning/pre-work sex
3. if you are a musician, most of the people you want to collaborate with don't wake up until 3 in the afternoon

lowbudget: i find that no matter how uninspired i may be, if i FORCE myself to just fuck around, I'll start comin up with shit. Its the forcing myself thats the problem.

Soul Korea wrote:
Make a list of shit to do, this is the only way I can get anything done. Visualization.

White Mike: "Being a professional means doing what you love even on the days that you don't feel like doing it."-- Julius Irving

ekstra said:
I have studied this process and talked about it for a while. The most successful people I have heard speak about this--Philip Roth, T.S. Eliot (who I did my masters work in and read a ton about as far as his work habits), Chuck Close, Godard, Woody Allen--all are unified in the PROCESS of creativity. This means that one must do work, whether the work is great or garbage. Close, Godard, and Eliot even sort of suggest (generalizing, here) that the idea of "moments" of creativity are a farce.

The argument is that one can't learn to be a quality artist of any sort until one has done X amount of hours of work--no matter the medium. A writer, said Tim Liu--a poet, can't even call himself/herself a writer until he/she has written 10,000 pages--no matter the quality of those pages. An artist--1,000 feet of canvas, a director--5 films, etc... It does make sense. Even garbage work is still work, and if we are "working" (creatively), then we have good days and bad days "at work."

As a teacher, I feel like I was good when I began, but now in my third year, I have gotten much better. There is a lot of creativity in that job as well, though--unlike making music or DJ'ing--I can keep my job if I repeat functional formulas.

DO WORK

breathe slow said:
Sometimes the design problem facing you is so daunting, so large that you feel a sense of paralysis. Maybe its stemming from self-doubt in your abilities as a designer, maybe your body is just not physically or mentally on point.

The best advice I ever recieved was to just start drawing. Drawing is more than just a representational device, and can actually help you understand and discover new details within your design. By using the "tools" of your design field (be it drawing, model building, sketching, or sample chopping) your mind begins to connect the dots and the flood gates open. Trust me this is the ONLY way to break past that stagnation we all face as designers.

The best designers know it is alright to throw away an idea. Designing anything is not a linear process of point A to B. The confusion and doubt you feel as you design is a healthy feeling. You shouldn't be in 100% control of the process. Allow yourself some room to maneuver within your work.

Dan Stuckie: I struggle with this shit way too much to be giving advice, but for what it's worth, I've figured out a few things that make a big difference for me when I bother to do them. This is all related to making tracks. For some reason I never have a problem getting things done when I do freelance work.

This should be obvious, but stay the fuck off the internet when trying to work (too much distraction), and similarly, separate 'work' from 'play' as much as you can. If the only difference between one mode and the other is whether you have Ableton or Firefox in front of you at that particular moment, the lines are blurred and you'll find it hard to focus.

Work in the morning (obviously depends on the person though), and get to work as soon as possible.

If you work from home, go outside for a short walk (if you haven't done so) before starting to work. Letting sunlight/daylight/rain/snow hit my face clears my slate and allows me to get down to it when I get back.

Trackwise, keep the bigger picture in mind when beginning a new project. For example, don't waste a half hour picking the perfect kick drum or whatever if you're just starting out – you'll lose momentum. Use what you have to get the project going and fix the details later if needed. I often overlook this one and get bogged down by the minutia.

If nothing is flowing or you've hit a wall, try stealing/borrowing vague ideas and applying them in totally different ways.

Recognizing that so much of this shit is a stupid psychological game, do whatever you can to end on a positive note when you finish working. That way you'll be more likely to return to work in the same frame of mind. If you stop working out of frustration, you'll probably retain it and bring it back with you next time.

swears

preppy-kei
There are a lot of people who like the IDEA of being "creative" one way or another and wear it as a pose. Guys in rawk bands all dressed up in leather jackets and skinny jeans, artists wearing grungy "bohemian" clothes, poets/writers who are constantly flinging one end of their scarf over their shoulder...

If they are such creative geniuses, why haven't they figured out ways around these cliches?

The Halls of Fame are open wide/ their rooms are always full /And some come in by the door marked Push /And some by the door marked Pull...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'd love to write a novel, or some short stories. I have these ideas all the time for interesting characters, vignettes, themes, even just cool phrases to use - but the idea of a half-decent plot to hang them on eludes me, and most likely always will.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Interesting thread. Someone I know packed in work at the end of last year with a view to writing 'that novel' but so far has got nowhere other than mired down in ennui and a degree of despair. The trouble is (as I see it but didn't tell her) is that she's got a masters in Eng Lit. I knew someone else who had studied Eng Lit and they were stuffed too, creatively. Both too conscious of the weight of historical precendence, methinks. Or as someone else put it, 'the anxiety of influence'.

I've never found dope or booze to be helpful with my writing, but whatever works. As for routine, mine's forced upon me by work, so when I'm not at work I write (most afternoons mid-week).

There are some good quotes in 'The Artist's Way' if nothing else, and in some ways the book is quite useful. Personally I've found more inspiration from reading what other writers say about their struggle and realising that most go through some kind of creative hell to get where they got. Yes, writing loads of rubbish included. As Lawrence Block says in his book - 'Any fool can write a poem but it takes a special kind of fool to write a novel' - in other words, you have to be masochistic, perhaps, and stubborn, yes.

Anyway, I write for the perverse pleasure in creating images/scenes etc, rather than some starry-eyed dream of publication. Although I've had one non-fiction book published.

You find your own routine depending on your natural habit (early riser, dosser, whatever). It was hardest for me when I worked full-time but now on a 3-day week it's a perfect balance. As for plotting, as someone mentioned earlier, I used to worry about that before I realised that they can be very simple, if you're more of a prose stylist. A crime book's different, obviously.

I'm all for free creativity, whether that's creating noise or simply word improv. Whether anyone wants to buy the results is another matter but if you love doing it that's all that really counts.

mixed_biscuits

I'd love to write a novel, or some short stories. I have these ideas all the time for interesting characters, vignettes, themes, even just cool phrases to use - but the idea of a half-decent plot to hang them on eludes me, and most likely always will.

I'll sell you a half-decent plot if you want - £20 and you can hang whatever you want on it afterwards, I don't care.

mixed_biscuits

Properly creative people don't have any mental space to spare for the careful acquisition and juxtaposition of the supposed signifiers of a creative personality -> hence disinterested scruffiness or strictly functional dressing is the order of the day for them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
don't mean to be rude, and nothing personal, but this is a stupid question.

I don't think so at all. Swears is talking about people who fancy themselves as 'creative' (not, you note, people who actually *create* anything genuinely innovative) yet end up comporting themselves just like everyone else who fits more or less the same social stereotype. Just like all those 'individual' goths who dress identically to all the other 'individuals'.

My current bugbear is those Yasser Arafat headscarves-worn-as-neckerchiefs that 87% of white Londoners between the ages of 15 and 35 seem to be wearing at the moment. :mad:

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
Properly creative people don't have any mental space to spare for the careful acquisition and juxtaposition of the supposed signifiers of a creative personality -> hence disinterested scruffiness or strictly functional dressing is the order of the day for them.

but not making a choice on fashion etc is still making a choice, a statement, albeit one that says that they place no value on fashion. its still a fashion statement nonetheless.

and besides, does your definition of creative people exclude fashion designers? that would be bizarre.

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
but not making a choice on fashion etc is still making a choice, a statement, albeit one that says that they place no value on fashion. its still a fashion statement nonetheless.
Being a bit argumentative for the sake of it but...

Wouldn't a 'statement' would have to be something made deliberately? You can't be making a statement about everything (horse riding, playing dominoes, taking snuff, hot air ballooning, trepanning, monkey training...) you are not particularly interested in or aware of just by not making a statement about it. Also, I don't have a horse but that doesn't necessarily mean I place no value on having horses.

;)

Anyway, swears' question was plainly rhetorical right?

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
Being a bit argumentative for the sake of it but...

Wouldn't a 'statement' would have to be something made deliberately? You can't be making a statement about everything (horse riding, playing dominoes, taking snuff, hot air ballooning, trepanning, monkey training...) you are not particularly interested in or aware of just by not making a statement about it. Also, I don't have a horse but that doesn't necessarily mean I place no value on having horses.

;)

Anyway, swears' question was plainly rhetorical right?

yeah, but the horse thing is not the same, not everyone has one, therefore its ludicrous to expect anyone to have a default opinion, whereas everyone has to wear clothes (unless you are a full time naturist of course). therefore not taking a stance has much more significance. to stretch your analogy to breaking point and beyond, everyone would own a horse, but you'd have a donkey, cos you don't care about horses enough to have a full size one. that seems like a massive statement to me.