creativity habits/curves/tricks

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
... or you might know (or care) so little that you think your donkey IS a horse.

But if you've only shelled out a donkey-sized amount of moolah for it, while others spend silly money on thoroughbred Arabian stallions, then good for you.

swears

preppy-kei
don't mean to be rude, and nothing personal, but this is a stupid question.

OK then, why?

mixed biscuits sez:

Properly creative people don't have any mental space to spare for the careful acquisition and juxtaposition of the supposed signifiers of a creative personality -> hence disinterested scruffiness or strictly functional dressing is the order of the day for them.

This is a good point/gag I suppose, but it's funny how much effort people put into looking scruffy.

Pestario

tell your friends
yeah, but the horse thing is not the same, not everyone has one, therefore its ludicrous to expect anyone to have a default opinion, whereas everyone has to wear clothes (unless you are a full time naturist of course). therefore not taking a stance has much more significance. to stretch your analogy to breaking point and beyond, everyone would own a horse, but you'd have a donkey, cos you don't care about horses enough to have a full size one. that seems like a massive statement to me.

So is a fashion statement something that is a part of person or is it something conferred onto him/her by someone who is aware of such things?

In other words, if I spent all my time in a hovel wearing some cheapo tracksuit my aunt gave me because I thought it was comfortable and therefore conducive to writing for long periods of time, am I making a fashion statement? OR is the mysterious person observing me forming a fashion statement *for me* by inferring my motivations behind me wearing my crappy track suit?

(sorry I'm a bit bored at work :p)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's funny, a friend of mine is so anti-fashion he says things like "I basically wear clothes so as not to be naked" - it's like he's so anti-pretentious he actually ends up sounding rather pretentious about it. I think going out of your way not to have a 'look' is just another (slightly subtler, perhaps) way of having a 'look' - but it's a look all the same, and it's distinct from genuinely just wearing whatever you find comfortable. I think the intention (or lack thereof) in the person's mind is the key thing here - it may be difficult for an observer to pick out which it is, but there are often clues. Bob Geldof's studdied scruffiness is pretty annoying, for instance (given that he is no longer exactly the singer of a little-known punk band struggling for recognition, and hasn't been for quite some time now).

swears

preppy-kei
I think going out of your way not to have a 'look' is just another (slightly subtler, perhaps) way of having a 'look' - but it's a look all the same, and it's distinct from genuinely just wearing whatever you find comfortable.

Yeah, I was like that as a teenger and still am, a bit. I wear a lot of plain t-shirts because I hate most pattern/slogan tees, for instance. Your clothes do say something about your personality, whether you like it or not. Although if you're all about appearances, there's something wrong.

bassnation

the abyss
I think going out of your way not to have a 'look' is just another (slightly subtler, perhaps) way of having a 'look' - but it's a look all the same, and it's distinct from genuinely just wearing whatever you find comfortable.

Yeah, I was like that as a teenger and still am, a bit. I wear a lot of plain t-shirts because I hate most pattern/slogan tees, for instance. Your clothes do say something about your personality, whether you like it or not. Although if you're all about appearances, there's something wrong.

yeah but that plain t-shirt speaks volumes. you are such a poser, swears. its anti-fashion this and anti-fashion that. you'll be doing a beige catwalk thing next.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
So is a fashion statement something that is a part of person or is it something conferred onto him/her by someone who is aware of such things?
That's sort of what I was saying as well until I got distracted by not having a horse.

Also, even if you go out of your way to dress a certain way is it really making a statement if you just do it because that's just how you prefer to dress or look? I mean 'making a statement' presupposes quite a preoccupation with how you think you might appear to others or how you'd like to appear to them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I used to wear Hawai'ian shirts quite a lot - people assumed it was meant to be a 'statement' of some sort, but I just liked them. I guess I was stating "I like Hawai'ian shirts".

bassnation

the abyss
I used to wear Hawai'ian shirts quite a lot - people assumed it was meant to be a 'statement' of some sort, but I just liked them. I guess I was stating "I like Hawai'ian shirts".

you were giving out a complex message part irony, part admiration for the bygone but glamorous days of miami vice, without even realising the semiotics you were emoting.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I guess I was stating "I like Hawai'ian shirts".
But were you really? Or were you just wearing Hawai'ian shirts? I mean if a man wears a Hawai'ian shirt in a forest and there is no-one there to have their eyes damaged does the shirt make a sound? What if a horse sees it?

swears

preppy-kei
Is creativity just solving a problem, then? Or maybe providing people with what they want? If you do something totally unoriginal, but it fills a niche very effectively, is that creative?

bassnation

the abyss
Is creativity just solving a problem, then? Or maybe providing people with what they want? If you do something totally unoriginal, but it fills a niche very effectively, is that creative?

if you believe the evolutionary scientists, all human art is simply a vastly nuanced mating display via multiple levels of indirection.

mixed_biscuits

Pestario

tell your friends
But were you really? Or were you just wearing Hawai'ian shirts? I mean if a man wears a Hawai'ian shirt in a forest and there is no-one there to have their eyes damaged does the shirt make a sound? What if a horse sees it?

:D that made me lol (before 9 in the morning too)

zhao

there are no accidents
jus cuz y'alls don't know how to properly rock some class tropical textiles don't mean you gotta shit all over hawaiian shirts in one go.

jus cuz the vast majority are horrible and sported by fat disgusting north american tourists don't mean it can't be a good look and pussy magnetizer.