creativity habits/curves/tricks

zhao

there are no accidents
does it sometimes bother you that you don't have as much control over your own creative energies as you would like to? whether it's working on music or art or films or writing or whatever.

I'm talking about the days where maybe you got up on the wrong side of the bed and you make tea and then go for a walk, take a shower, try to get motivated bu can't do shit other than fuck around online all day, and nothing comes to you until like, 11 PM, and you have to chuck what ever plans you had for the night out the window.

how many people try to plan or stucture their working process? before you sit down to it, do you try to anticipate how long your energy will last? like "ok I'll read for 30 minutes to calm the mind, and in about 4 hours i'll probably need a break, at which point i'll do laundry, and grab a bite, and then that gives me another 2 hours before dinner." the problem with that is often shit don't happen the way you plan it. for me at least.

and cranking, sometimes I'm so fucking into it I don't sleep for 2 days. but that's not only terrible on the health, fucks up whatever else is in your life, but also you had better finish the fucker because after a binge like that you don't even wanna be near the damned thing for a week.

and the thing about procrastination/leaving until last minute is that it becomes a habit that is difficult to break. (i should know! :eek: )

why do most people always work better at night? if you live in a noisy neighborhood it's understandable but i'm in a very quiet place right now, and i still work much better at night -- i wish it wasn't so as it eats up social time! :mad::mad:

and how do people do under pressure? deadlines? sometimes it's really exhiliarating and kicks me into gear like 0 to 60 in 10 seconds. but other times it's a FUCKING NIGHTMARE.

what are some tricks or methods people use to get the juices flowing?

excercise? sure, but sometimes after a good workout all the blood is in the muscles and not the brain and i either don't feel like working or have zero ideas.

ganja almost always works for me, so well it's scary... but i can't do that ALL the fucking time. as we all know it's pretty dangerous if it becomes a real habit or dependency...

i know for sure food is bad, and always scatter the thoughts -- not eating tends to enable some kind of focus. same goes for sex. after the freaking the freak it's impossible to concentrate.

anecdotes? advice?

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I find it utterly uncontrollable. I just know that if i'm in a bad mood then I probably won't be able to work on shit, but not being able to work on a project makes things even worse. I don't find smoking/drinking/taking a pill ever makes me work better. In fact quite the opposite. Just being in the right environment I guess is the only thing that works for me.

In strict relation to music, I find that if i want to make a tune, say a techno thing, then listening to techno will probably make it suck. I have to listen to some other genre to work it through.

zhao

there are no accidents
so you've completely given up on trying to streamline your process and make yourself more efficient/effective and save time, and resorting to basically leaving it up to your own whims? or do you still hope of getting better at harnessing your own creative resources?

and how do you listen to music while working on music? don't you constantly have to monitor your samples n shit?

Last edited:

luka

smoking is good. nothing else works, certainly not exercise. trying to be creative is like trying to be happy. doens't work. give up.

zhao

there are no accidents
trying to be creative is like trying to be happy. doens't work. give up.

i disagree. consciously getting yourself into gear certainly works sometimes. fuck, often it fucking has to!

and if you look at the lives of super successful and productive artists, they are always very disciplined. i believe that with time you can definitely learn to get better at minimizing waste and maximizing your time in the studio.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
so you've completely given up on trying to streamline your process and make yourself more efficient/effective and save time, and resorting to basically leaving it up to your own whims? or do you still hope of getting better at harnessing your own creative resources?

and how do you listen to music while working on music? don't you constantly have to monitor your samples n shit?

yup. no use in banging my head against the wall with something. Its not like i've got a host of label deadlines to meet or something. Maybe as I get older I'll get more settled, i'm still only a hyper teenager. I obviously don't do them both at exactly the same time, if i'm doing the pots or whatever in a time between producing I meant.

luka

you ride a bike. me too. you'll know all about fluctuations in energy levels then. how sometimes, for no discernable reason you'll get on the bike and feel so flat, so hollowed out and heavy-limbed that even a 30 minute ride is like a dragging a ball and chain through the halls of purgatory. now there's nothing you can do about that. you can't will yourself to ride faster, the body simply won't respond. same with creativity. sure some artists have been very disciplined. some haven't. in most cases i think you'll find both groups produce about the same amount of good work. the disciplined ones just produce a load of shit when they're forcing it.

zhao

there are no accidents
you ride a bike. me too. you'll know all about fluctuations in energy levels then. how sometimes, for no discernable reason you'll get on the bike and feel so flat, so hollowed out and heavy-limbed that even a 30 minute ride is like a dragging a ball and chain through the halls of purgatory. now there's nothing you can do about that. you can't will yourself to ride faster, the body simply won't respond. same with creativity. sure some artists have been very disciplined. some haven't. in most cases i think you'll find both groups produce about the same amount of good work. the disciplined ones just produce a load of shit when they're forcing it.

i disagree completely.

those who diligently ride everyday can go a FUCK of a lot faster/farther on any given day than those who ride once a month. and enjoy it more too.

look at Picasso, to use a cliche but good example -- hard to find ANY weak shit in the insane quantity of work he produced. you can argue that, but take any serious artist/musician and discipline of COURSE makes a huge difference. shit i hear Grime artists talk about quiting weed and becoming more disciplined.

no it doesn't just all even out in the end and it's all just whatever. you, me, anyone can train and hone energy to be sharper and more focused creatively.

luka

you've missed the point. until recently i rode well over 100 miles a week. it didn't stop me having days when i could barely get the pedals turning. thats the point i'm making.

luka

and if you've never seen any weak piccasso pieces you clearly havent seen a lot of piccasso, theres huge amounts of rubbish. more than any other major artist, for exactly the reason we're talking about.

zhao

there are no accidents
you've missed the point. until recently i rode well over 100 miles a week. it didn't stop me having days when i could barely get the pedals turning. thats the point i'm making.

sure i know what you mean. but at the same time you do admit that you probably ride farther and faster with less effort than a junkie who rides once a month yes?

and this is my point, that creative/mental energy, just like physical energy, can be harnessed and honed and focused with discipline.

do you think Rakim between the years 1985 and 1995 has an easier time getting into "the Zone" than your cousin Tom who drunkenly tries to spit a few lines now and then?

sure it is elusive. sure it is difficult to control. but i believe the muse, the magic, the Zone, is more accessible to those who put in effort.

do you disagree?

mixed_biscuits

The Zone seems like what I think psychologists call 'flow' - those moments in which often highly complex learnt behaviour is delegated to the unconscious' control and the conscious mind is freed to give creative direction to the whole.

In this case, 1000s of hours of practice is a pre-requisite.

Pestario

tell your friends
yes that would be cool.

I'm no artist or anything and my livelihood is not dependent on creative output but I enjoy drawing/sketching as a hobby. I've discovered that depression seems to get my creative juices flowing and brings about more interesting ideas. But I think that's more to do with the fact that I like dark subject matter.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This may sound like a dubious answer to many, but a good friend of mine (who can be relied upon for quality and incisiveness of opinion) recommended the book "The Artist's Way" without reservation.

Has anyone ever seen the interview with Hubert Selby Jr on the 'Requiem for a Dream' DVD? He speaks of having to work endlessly at writing before finally producing prose of quality (as mixedbiscuits alludes to)...it's a really beautiful interview for many other reasons, actually. Seems like a top bloke.

swears

preppy-kei
"I stopped painting in 1990 at the peak of my success just to deny people my beautiful paintings; and I did it out of spite."

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
This may sound like a dubious answer to many, but a good friend of mine (who can be relied upon for quality and incisiveness of opinion) recommended the book "The Artist's Way" without reservation.
Yeah it's got some really good advice, she knows what she's talking about. Some of it comes across a bit new age and California but she was a script writer on Miami Vice so fair do's.
He speaks of having to work endlessly at writing before finally producing prose of quality (as mixedbiscuits alludes to)
I think biscuits is talking about the practice necessary to make the skill automatic, that's fine but the other thing is that (for most people) sometimes you have to produce some crap to get to the good stuff. Sometimes there's just no getting around that and a fear of not producing great stuff can stop anything at all getting done. You just have to sit down and do it.

Last edited: