Max 19 goes on holiday and tells you about it in the Guardian

swears

preppy-kei
I hate all that traveller shit. "Let's go and look at the poor people! Their lives are so spiritual!" Everybody from my school who did this was a twat.

Pestario

tell your friends
I hate students even though I was one not long ago. This guy looks like the worst kind - the posh and self-assured type who is always really loud and excitable on the night bus annoying the fuck out of everyone else. Some nights I barely resist the temptation to add to London's youth murder stats.

tom pr

I do feel bad for the bloke. it's a shit column and clearly he's only got the position because of his old man- in which case the paper and the dad should be the subject of the venom. All the shots at him in the comment box seem a bit harsh- I used to blog about completely inane stuff when I was 19 and think it was interesting, just nobody gave me that sort of medium to do it in...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I hate students even though I was one not long ago. This guy looks like the worst kind - the posh and self-assured type who is always really loud and excitable on the night bus annoying the fuck out of everyone else. Some nights I barely resist the temptation to add to London's youth murder stats.

Haha, I still AM a student (of sorts), and I fucking hate those ones too.

I'm sure my contemporaries were never this bad when we were undergraduates, and that was only five years ago or so...

hucks

Your Message Here
There's a really nasty bullying feel to most of the comments. Actually, less bullying, more standing behind the bully going "yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh", and pointing. Jeez, there's like 400 comments or something - who saw that and thought, yeah, gotta put the boot in, too?

STN

sou'wester
There's a really nasty bullying feel to most of the comments. Actually, less bullying, more standing behind the bully going "yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh", and pointing. Jeez, there's like 400 comments or something - who saw that and thought, yeah, gotta put the boot in, too?

I agree, most of the comments are utterly drab.

crackerjack

I hate all that traveller shit. "Let's go and look at the poor people! Their lives are so spiritual!" Everybody from my school who did this was a twat.

I don't think the guy says anything that bad. In fact, he barely says anything at all. It's that and the blatant nepotism that stinks.

swears

preppy-kei
I suppose they're trying to angle this story towards young readers who might be doing the same thing themselves, demographics, obvs.

But these types really wind me up, it's so unimaginative, there's been a zillion of these memoirs since the 90s. OK, there might be some resentment on my part to be honest. If I'd have asked my parents for thousands of pounds to go on what is basically a really long holiday, they would have looked at me as if I had gone mental, or just laughed.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yes, 'holiday' is the crucial word here. One of the fairer comments said that there's no reason for him not to take this opportunity, and that he'll probably have a great time and good luck to him: but it is essentially just a long holiday and nothing more profound than that (which is what people tend to imply when they say they're going 'travelling'), and there's no reason why we should be any more interested in what he does over there than we'd be in anyone else's holiday anecdotes.

martin

----
Granted he's boring, but the thought of people actually registering on CiF just to kick off at some 19-year old, or to refute Steven Wells' claims that anyone who didn't enjoy "Desmond's" was BNP, makes me despair for the future of the human race.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
To be honest, I find the whole travel section of the grauniad pretty irritating. It's a supposedly left wing newspaper, surely they shouldn't give half a shit what the top ten boutique hotels in Puglia are? I know I don't - I've got no money, and I want to know whether it's margianlly cheaper to get to Scotland by super advance rail ticket or by National Express funfare or by some unholy combination of the two. *grumbles*

hucks

Your Message Here
It used to be famous for its spelling mistakes. It's a joke from Private Eye, I think.