What's that reggae track?

martin

----
Right, this is a completely pathetic request post. I'm wondering if anyone knows the artist and title of the following mystery tracks, which I will now describe to you. If you can help (also any info on whether they made it on to CD would be ace!) I will buy you a drink.

1) dub version of Dawn Penn's "No No No". Bloke toasting over it, lots of thunderclap drum reverb effects. Sounds very 70s

2) Lyrics - "Where did that natty little dread go? ? Nobody know, nobody know / The youth of today is the man of tomorrow"

3) VERY slow and dubby - lyrics - "Must be a revolution...out of all the nation in creation, the black nation suffers the most, y'know..." (I THINK)

4) Ragga track, poss came out around '94 / '95 - "666, the number of the beast, turn it around and you get the police" (or something very similar)

5) Some ragga track, guess around '96, about a bloke who gets a room in a hotel with "Pamela, Jackie, (some other girl) and Mel". "Do not disturb sign means go to hell..." - oh come on, someone must know what this is, it's driving me nuts

Cheers!

redcrescent

martin said:
1) dub version of Dawn Penn's "No No No". Bloke toasting over it, lots of thunderclap drum reverb effects. Sounds very 70s
Hard to tell without audio. Some dubs on the No No No riddim:
-King Tubbys' dub as featured on that great, great Rodigan comp on the now-defunct Rewind Selecta label
-Gussie Clarke 's dub off Black Foundation Dub
-Joe Gibbs + ET's 'Behind Iron Bars' off African Dub Chapter 4
-Prince Far I's 'Hello Love Brother' off Dub to Africa

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah, we should be able to sort out the No No No one - any vocals?

I think there are deejay cuts by Big Youth (Screaming Target, and another one) and I Roy also.

martin

----
Cheers! It's def not Prince Far-I on the "No No No" cut...maybe could be Big Youth...I'm afraid I'm doing these from memory, they're all tracks I either taped from the pirates years ago, heard on clash tapes or live at Carnival and never found out who or what they were....and this is less embarrassing than going into Dub Vendor and saying, "Excuse me, do you know what this is" and then doing the worst patois / imitatiion bass noise ever. All I can remember from the chat on No No No was he mentions "rhythm track" on one part - and it does sound like a Tubby's production...

redcrescent

john eden said:
Big Youth (Screaming Target, and another one)
'Concrete Jungle', I think. And there's two versions of 'Screaming Target' on that album, too.

More excursions on the No No No:
-Barry Brown's 'Movements of Jah' off Showcase - awesome, I love Barry Brown.
-Toyan's 'Praise Him' off Ghetto Man Skank
-Tonto Irie does a take on it on a Jammys' album, Jammys Posse or something similar
-Prince Jazzbo's 'Fool for Love' off a CS Dodd-produced Studio One album
-Tony Tuff's 'War'
-Tristan Palma 'For Health and Strength'
-There's a cut on the No No No on that Juck's Incorporation (sp?) album, but I don't own it so I can't tell you
-More DJ cuts: I Roy as John Eden mentioned, Errol Holt, Jah Thomas

martin

----
Answers to numbers 2 and 3 will earn 2 drinks. Sorry the descriptions are so shite.

No. 5 - also contains a line about drinking Guinness and smoking chronic "Til yuh head swell"

john eden

male pale and stale
man like henrik say:

No 4 could be:

Anthony B / stand up and tell / black scorpio / 1995

I don´t have my tunes in front of me, so I can´t check, but I know it kicks off with the words: "666. That a de mark a de beast...."

john eden

male pale and stale
OK, late breaking news from your number one station!!!

dudley one said:
no 2 little natty dread / jah [trinity] youth [israel rockers / carribean ] 7"
no 3 must be a revolution / righteous flames [corporative sounds] 7"

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
This is driving me crazy: what is the Satta-Masagana-based track where after the first line "There is a land, far far away…" - the deejay chips in immediately with "I KNOW DAT!"?

I know it's an obvious one because I've heard it on some compilation about a hundred times, yet it now eludes me on the YouTube...

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Shit - this is it! First track on the Blood & Fire 'If deejay was your trade…' comp, which is why I remember it so well.

benw

got a couple here, both from an optimo reggae / dub mix... got audio of both so should be simple enough i reckon, any help much appreciated:

1: This one seems to be a cover of marlena shaw in the ghetto but i cant find it online anywhere, despite there seeming to be about 4 reggae copies of in the ghetto.

https://www.mediafire.com/?4781rcdpw9u7sf1

2 this one is a complete madness, difficult to describe / google lyrics really but check the recording. sounds like a DMZ tune at first but then with some mad fastchat over it.

https://www.mediafire.com/?5q9k7alrhyggpby

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
got a couple here, both from an optimo reggae / dub mix... got audio of both so should be simple enough i reckon, any help much appreciated:

1: This one seems to be a cover of marlena shaw in the ghetto but i cant find it online anywhere, despite there seeming to be about 4 reggae copies of in the ghetto.

https://www.mediafire.com/?4781rcdpw9u7sf1
At a guess, a slow pitched Jennifer Lara-Woman of the Ghetto.
c.

benw

thats a winner! not sure about genacide tho john, sounds similar but not quite the same....

sufi

lala
Slightly vague question transmitted to me for the attention of massive via several people:

??? what's that recent reggae track where the voice sounds like bubbles ???

any ideas anyone? much obliged