What's that reggae track?

martin

----
Right, this is a completely pathetic request post. I'm wondering if anyone knows the artist and title of the following mystery tracks, which I will now describe to you. If you can help (also any info on whether they made it on to CD would be ace!) I will buy you a drink.

1) dub version of Dawn Penn's "No No No". Bloke toasting over it, lots of thunderclap drum reverb effects. Sounds very 70s

2) Lyrics - "Where did that natty little dread go? ? Nobody know, nobody know / The youth of today is the man of tomorrow"

3) VERY slow and dubby - lyrics - "Must be a revolution...out of all the nation in creation, the black nation suffers the most, y'know..." (I THINK)

4) Ragga track, poss came out around '94 / '95 - "666, the number of the beast, turn it around and you get the police" (or something very similar)

5) Some ragga track, guess around '96, about a bloke who gets a room in a hotel with "Pamela, Jackie, (some other girl) and Mel". "Do not disturb sign means go to hell..." - oh come on, someone must know what this is, it's driving me nuts

Cheers!

Nearly 10 years have rolled by since this request. And yet 1, 3, 4 and 5 remain mysteries. Well done to whoever identified 2, was spot on, but the actual versions of the others seem doomed to be forgotten-I've actually heard four versions of 3, none of which was the one I'm after.

Oh well. See you back here in 2024, perhaps.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
this isn't 3? lyrics are a bit different, so probably not. Good tune anyways. Edit: ah, I see someone already suggested this

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Slightly vague question transmitted to me for the attention of massive via several people:

??? what's that recent reggae track where the voice sounds like bubbles ???

any ideas anyone? much obliged

Sounds like "bubbles" or sounds like the character "bubbles" from popular US TV sitcom The Wire?

No that I have a scooby about either, mind.

john eden

male pale and stale
I forgot about this thread, but did actually get to hear some of Martin's lyrics at the vigil for Mark Duggan recently

The ceremony was interspersed with emotional call and response chants of "no justice, no peace" and "who are the murderers? The police are the murders," before ending with a brief burst of “We Shall overcome” followed by a release of about 20 white doves.

Most people attending angrily rejected the police version of events and chanted: "666 is the mark of the beast, turn it around and you get the police."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-renew-vow-to-fight-for-justice-9053445.html

sufi

lala
Sounds like "bubbles" or sounds like the character "bubbles" from popular US TV sitcom The Wire?

No that I have a scooby about either, mind.
i assume the former ... but as i got the question 2nd hand, there may even be an obscure 3rd option involving autotune or noseflutes for all i know... i was hoping that it might be an obvious one

martin

----
I forgot about this thread, but did actually get to hear some of Martin's lyrics at the vigil for Mark Duggan recently

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-renew-vow-to-fight-for-justice-9053445.html

I'm not really on Dissensus anymore, so totally missed this. Well, I'm glad the lyrics endured, unless the Duggan family spontaneously came up with it, which gives me hope the track was *relatively* well-known at some point. By who, though, I haven't got a clue. When I heard it on St Luke's Road at Carnival '95, thought it had hit potential (was a hyper track like 'Rampage' or 'Press Button') and would be easy to track down, but no reggae stores had a clue what it was and have never met any ragga fan who remembers it. I'm guessing, as Jamaica's police number's 119, this came out of the UK. Then again, Peter Metro recorded 'Police Inna England', so who knows.

Heard so many versions of DJs toasting over 'No No No', but (1) still remains unknown. No further info to add, really, except I should have mentioned maybe that her voice is on it, echoed.

Thanks too Baboon, but the 'must be a revolution' lyrics to (3) unfortunately make the Righteous Flames tune seem the 'natural' choice. Still, I've now heard 3 or 4 versions of it in the process, but they're not (3). Tune is different - just a heavy bass line, those lyrics and someone toasting those "Out of all the nation..." extra lines over the top. Very slow, very heavy.

(5) - still not a scooby. Didn't seem to make it to any Jetstar or Greensleeves comps.