Northern Crock shareholders on their high horse

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/feb/18/northernrock.banking

Am I missing something here? The shareholders owned the bank, they appointed the management team. No one compelled them to take a government bailout and invite the treasury into thier business.

If the value of the shares have tanked because of abstract market forces, then they got bit by the 'risk' that city types are always going on about as being crucial to the cut and thrust of free enterprise. If it was down to the incompetence of the management team, then the shareholders were asleep at the wheel.

Trying to pin the blame on the government takes 'having your cake and eating it' to absurd lengths IMO.

vimothy

yurp
Am I missing something here? The shareholders owned the bank, they appointed the management team. No one compelled them to take a government bailout and invite the treasury into thier business.

If the value of the shares have tanked because of abstract market forces, then they got bit by the 'risk' that city types are always going on about as being crucial to the cut and thrust of free enterprise. If it was down to the incompetence of the management team, then the shareholders were asleep at the wheel.

Think that you're basically spot on here. The shareholders deserve to lose money. The government deserve to lose an election.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Am I missing something here?"
Not as far as I can see - surely if the government sticks a load of money in to stop the thing going under, that investment buys it an interest in the company, they've got to have a deal that means that they can get (at least some of) it back. Those kicking up a fuss were happy to take the loan but they don't want the consequences. Wanting to have your cake and eat it is exactly how I'd describe it too.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The shareholders deserve to lose money. The government deserve to lose an election."
I agree with the first bit but not sure about the second - at least as a result of this business. Where do you think they went wrong? By bailing them out or before that by creating an environment that allowed such a situation in the first place?

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I agree with the first bit but not sure about the second - at least as a result of this business. Where do you think they went wrong? By bailing them out or before that by creating an environment that allowed such a situation in the first place?

And would the tories have done any better? I don't think so.

Wierdly the lib dems are becoming the most authoritive party on economic issues, through being the only party to give their economics brief to someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

vimothy

yurp
I'm not convinced that this government really created the environment that allowed this to happen in the first place, but I do think that since they have tied up such a large amount of money (£100 billion?) into a foolish scheme, they deserve to lose office. Black Wednesday cost the government £3.5 billion, and is properly regarded as a disaster. When the government finally sells Northern Rock, what will the total cost to the taxpayer have been?

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I'm not convinced that this government really created the environment that allowed this to happen in the first place"
Nor me.

"When the government finally sells Northern Rock, what will the total cost to the taxpayer have been?"
Well, who knows? Hard to say until it happens, what should they have done though, let it die?

vimothy

yurp
Wierdly the lib dems are becoming the most authoritive party on economic issues, through being the only party to give their economics brief to someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

Just checked their website and am shocked to see a supply-side type approach to looming economic down-turn from the Lib Dems!

vimothy

yurp
Well, who knows? Hard to say until it happens, what should they have done though, let it die?

If the current cost is £100 billion, after the eventual sale, losses to the government will be pretty extensive. I think it's now unavoidable but I'd be interested, if someone can point me in the right direction, to read Darling's plans to recoup current losses. I mean, £100 billion!

Also think that they could have engineered a sale without needing to nationalise (and therefore lumping us all with this albatross).

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Also think that they could have engineered a sale without needing to nationalise (and therefore lumping us all with this albatross)."
Well, probably not after they'd tied in so much money. But you didn't answer my question - what should they have done?

vimothy

yurp
Well, probably not after they'd tied in so much money. But you didn't answer my question - what should they have done?

Engineered a sale of the company.

And that's still the plan, except government (i.e. taxpayer) exposure is now greater.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Engineered a sale of the company."
But it needed an immediate bail-out didn't it? Doing that has lumbered them with the exposure you're moaning about, doing nothing would have meant it went under, I don't see that they had that much choice.

crackerjack

Engineered a sale of the company.

And that's still the plan, except government (i.e. taxpayer) exposure is now greater.

They wanted to sell it. Trouble was, the bidders were using the political embarrssment of nationalisation as leverage to pay under the odds.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Its even worse than gabba first posited. The shareholders that were trying to screw the tax payer were hedge funds that came in AFTER rock crashed purely on the basis that the govt would be too embarassed to nationalise and therefore they would be able to squeeze a risk free bounce out of the stock. It was a scam.

All the shareholders should lose their shirts.

and If the govt had done the deal offered by Lloyds in the first couple of weeks, they could have limited exposure To 18bn. - not the 50 to 100bn we're facinng now

vimothy

yurp
They were very indecisive when the crisis first emerged. Obviously there were no great looking outcomes when the government took the decision to loan money to, and then nationalise, Northern Rock. However, Darling initially said that no costs should be borne by the public, which changed to most costs should be borne by the bank and shareholders, which has since changed to, as I see it, most costs not being borne by the shareholders.

And the government, when it eventually chooses to sell, will be faced with the same issue it has tried to avoid now: that the buyer will make an embarassing profit at the taxpayer's expense.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"They were very indecisive when the crisis first emerged. Obviously there were no great looking outcomes when the government took the decision to loan money to, and then nationalise, Northern Rock. However, Darling initially said that no costs should be borne by the public, which changed to most costs should be borne by the bank and shareholders, which has since changed to, as I see it, most costs not being borne by the shareholders."
Well, with hindsight I think it looks like undecisiveness but at the time it seemed like a commendable desire not to make a hasty decision. I think that they have been brave ultimately in deciding to nationalise it rather than do a quick (and bad) deal and get it off the front pages. The share-holders obviously aren't getting too great a deal from the government or else they wouldn't be moaning so much. For me, from the run on the bank the only error has really been indecision and I think that compared to hurriedly making a terrible decision that's not too bad.

vimothy

yurp
Fair enough, but we should mention "moral hazard": what happens in the future if / when this happens again? Was the outcome inevitable -- that the public became the principle creditor, then owner, of Northern Rock?

vimothy

yurp
I just don't think that the shareholders have a right to expect any kind of a deal from the government.

I also don't see the future of Northern Rock being that rosy, really, which is what Darling's hoping for.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"what happens in the future if / when this happens again? Was the outcome inevitable -- that the public became the principle creditor, then owner, of Northern Rock"
Well, that's an important question but presumably they ought to be thinking on this right now. Something happens once and you're unprepared fair enough, happens again then you had better be ready.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I agree with crackerjack, the government did what they could to sell it and bit the bullet when it obviously wasn't going to happen. You can call it indecision, but there wasn't any way to jump without pissing someone off.

Just checked their website and am shocked to see a supply-side type approach to looming economic down-turn from the Lib Dems!

Vim's a Lib Dem. Ha Ha Ha! I'm ordering you a bunch of daffodils as soon as spring arrives :D