The next generation

swears

preppy-kei
In 50 years time, the vast majority of people over 40 years old will be dead. All the present day young 'uns will be in charge.

Is this good because we are more left-leaning, tolerant and able to process lots of abstract information*... or is it bad because we are all pomo consumerist zombies who will just grow up to be yuppies anyway, like the hippies did, only worse? Will the children of the rich and powerful just assume their parents' positions anyway?

*If this is even really true.

N

nomadologist

I think that the positive characteristics of the next generation are increasingly being drained in the service of creative industries--i.e., the smarter, more creative people from our generation are basically being recruited straight into ad firms and consulting firms. A la "Immaterial Labor".

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Will the children of the rich and powerful just assume their parents' positions anyway?

If only. :eek:
By the looks of people around me, we're going to be a load of apathetic deadbeats.
Then again, I hang out with a load of apathetic deadbeats.

:p

N

nomadologist

Thing is, if the economy hits the level of recession some people are predicting, the first jobs to go will be the cushy consulting firm jobs. Or those will be high on the list of jobs that disappear into the corporate-financial ether.

zhao

there are no accidents
Thing is, if the economy hits the level of recession some people are predicting, the first jobs to go will be the cushy consulting firm jobs. Or those will be high on the list of jobs that disappear into the corporate-financial ether.

just glad i work for the entertainment industry (WOW that sounds wrong!) for when the shit hits the fan...

N

nomadologist

just glad i work for the entertainment industry (WOW that sounds wrong!) for when the shit hits the fan...

yeah luckily i think i'm hedged against the recession as a professional dominatrix -- if i still worked in medical publishing i'd be toast soon

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah luckily i think i'm hedged against the recession as a professional dominatrix

so that's what you been doing all this time, starting up a new career. seems fitting in some ways...

i dated a girl long time ago who was sub in real life but worked as a dominatrix to put herself through school. she always wanted to role play but at the time it was just kind of embarrassing to me and i couldn't take it seriously.

N

nomadologist

i only role play for $$$$, i really hate the games like teacher/student, boss/employee. ugh.

swears

preppy-kei
picard.jpg

Derailed!

Pulchritude

I think a lot of people my age (the, erm, younger generation) are much more conservative and intolerant than they seem.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think a lot of people my age (the, erm, younger generation) are much more conservative and intolerant than they seem.
Certainly 'exotic' appearance is no longer (was it ever?) any indicator of open mindedness or even any kind of thought at all. Yes, almost the opposite in many cases.

swears

preppy-kei

I think this is what the Tories are betting on with cuddly Cameron.

I know a few young economic conservatives (or "liberals", depending on how you define that) who advocate lower taxes, scaling back the state, etc... But they are against prejudice, pro-immigration, pro-gay marriage, very "open minded". The problem is that everything has become so personalised and depoliticised that people can have beliefs that they thet wouldn't be able to classify as left or right wing anyway.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The problem is that everything has become so personalised and depoliticised that people can have beliefs that they thet wouldn't be able to classify as left or right wing anyway.

Is that necessarily a problem, though? Why should people's opinions conform to pre-existing paradigms of political alignment? If those paradigms are obsolete, we need new ones to describe what people think these days, don't we?

vimothy

yurp
I know a few young economic conservatives (or "liberals", depending on how you define that) who advocate lower taxes, scaling back the state, etc... But they are against prejudice, pro-immigration, pro-gay marriage, very "open minded". The problem is that everything has become so personalised and depoliticised that people can have beliefs that they thet wouldn't be able to classify as left or right wing anyway.

And, similarly, I know some people who are leftists advocating big-government solutions (especially to their own problems), but who are closed minded, anti-immigration, anti-gay, and basically quite bigoted.

I think that the idea that bigots are necessarily "right-wing" whereas open-minded people are necesarily "left-wing" is old hat and something of a distraction from the real issues.

Pestario

tell your friends
And, similarly, I know some people who are leftists advocating big-government solutions (especially to their own problems), but who are closed minded, anti-immigration, anti-gay, and basically quite bigoted.

I think that the idea that bigots are necessarily "right-wing" whereas open-minded people are necesarily "left-wing" is old hat and something of a distraction from the real issues.

Isn't this just a case of the 'left' and 'right' wings operating on two axes:

1144199186_ac9446f06d.jpg

And that current bipartisan politics doesn't fully accommodate this spread of opinion.

From what has been said here, the next generation are moving down and to the right