late 90s tech-step

john eden

male pale and stale
Photek - Nyu Ten Ichi Rui
Nasty Habits - Shadow Boxing (eta: the remix, damnit)
Krust - Warhead
Digital - Lower Depths
Jungle Brothers - Jungle Brother (Urban Takeover Remix)

All 1997. I mean fair enough if that’s not your thing but they are great tracks.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
1996:

Shadow Boxing
First Logical Progression comp
Photek - Natural Born Killa
Source Direct - Stone Killer
VIP Drums / Ghosts of My Life
Ganja Kru - Super Sharp Shooter
Mickey Finn and Aphrodite - Bad Ass

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
1998 is harder to defend really

Urban Takeover + Luniz - Five On It Remix
E-Z Rollers - Tough At The Top
Adam F - Brand New Funk
Prisoners of Technology - One Two
Prisoners of Technology remix of Beastie Boys Intergalactic

Last edited:

droid

Photek - Nyu Ten Ichi Rui
Nasty Habits - Shadow Boxing (eta: the remix, damnit)
Krust - Warhead
Digital - Lower Depths
Jungle Brothers - Jungle Brother (Urban Takeover Remix)

All 1997. I mean fair enough if that’s not your thing but they are great tracks.

The Photek was an auteur throwback.

The Aphrodite was a crushing fall from grace.

I pray I never hear Warhead again.

john eden

male pale and stale
I played Warhead recently and really enjoyed it.

I have sold most of my drum ‘n’ bass records from 97 onwards though.

john eden

male pale and stale
I put the needle down on the record and was transported back 20 years with a massive stupid smile on my face.

firefinga

I hated Warhead back in the day, and I still do. In late 1997 I heard this EVERY night, at least the first few seconds. It is one of those "toilet tracks" meaning the DJ dropping it ususally sent me to the toilets immediately.

Funny bc I consider Krust to be a top producer - aside from the horrible Warhead. I have quite a collection of his work still on my shelves.

Last edited:

droid

But yeah. 96 is defensible. Bristol hadnt run out of steam. Metalheadz still in ascendance. Some of the big labels still putting out quality 95 stuff. Some decent jump up and first wave of tech step in it's experimental phase.

craner

Beast of Burden
Think I'm on record defending 96 No-u-Turn and Emotif stuff. Winter, spring and early summer, not much after though. I really liked that lumbering Ed Rush / Trace / Nico sound. Was Optical the bad influence?

droid

Yeah, I think he was certainly a significant factor, esp with his influence over the metalheadz cru. So many elements in the downfall though, unfair to place it on any single producer or even label. The DJ's, social economy, drugs - all had their place.

droid

Optical, Scott, NUT, Adam F, Trace, Reece, RAM, Krust... the original scene dynamic and infrastructure hijacked by a leaner, more efficient organism.

Last edited: