Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: late 90s tech-step

Quote Originally Posted by mixed_biscuits View Post
    Is that Deadline?
    theres loads of digital tracks that meet that description, but isn't he post techstep really? more a part of the ill-fated "rave revival" stymied by the refusal to slow down from their funkless 180 bpm speed. doesn't matter what rave stabs people nick if its too fucking fast.

but i rate digital in a way that i don't with most contemporary dnb artists. b-boyism is a fucking mental track.

Is that Deadline?
    Yeah that's the one and bassnation is probably right - post:techstep. I think that was the last d 'n' b record I got excited about except the odd bit of breakcore, congo natty, and the new Naphta LP.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    I think that was the last d 'n' b record I got excited about except the odd bit of breakcore, congo natty, and the new Naphta LP.
    Try Fanu?

I've been looking into the 'nu skool old skool' / hardcore breaks scene. There's some good stuff out there - it's as if the last 15 years never happened.
    Last edited by mixed_biscuits; 21-02-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    theres loads of digital tracks that meet that description, but isn't he post techstep really? more a part of the ill-fated "rave revival" stymied by the refusal to slow down from their funkless 180 bpm speed. doesn't matter what rave stabs people nick if its too fucking fast.
    Yes, something like Phantom Force would fit better.

Early Matrix tracks were great, like the Springbox Remix.

Prototype Years comp.
    The Konspiracy Group:Sound/Word/Vision
    Http://www.thekonspiracygroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Johnny L Piper one
    piper (grooverider rmx)

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdown View Post
    Best techstep record ever. Blew my mind when I first heard it.

It all turned to shit not long after... think the exact point was december 97.

I've been looking into the 'nu skool old skool' / hardcore breaks scene. There's some good stuff out there - it's as if the last 15 years never happened.
    Whats this all about then? Artists/labels?

Quote Originally Posted by tryptych View Post
    Whats this all about then? Artists/labels?
    Here are pages of sound clips:

http://www.blademcgivern.com/enormousmouse1/other.htm
    http://www.nu-urbanmusic.co.uk/shop/all_nurave.php

The stuff I like are darkside-style bits, slightly more cultured stuff on nu basement or tunes from Panacea or Luna-C that use more recent compositional tropes and OTT humour to good effect.

If you browse the Kniteforce website, you will see that Luna-C is a bit of a character: http://www.kniteforce.co.uk
    There are also interesting tidbits on the industry's workings there.

http://www.nu-rave.com/

I must say I don't like the term 'nu rave' but I guess it could serve thankfully to scupper any future moves towards musical 'respectability'.
    Last edited by mixed_biscuits; 21-02-2008 at 07:09 PM.

There's quite a big difference between the no u-turn sound and the later 98-2000 stuff from the likes of Konflict, Bad Co. etc...I think they are very different beasts.

The best stuff from 97, pre-Wormhole, like Mad Different Methods had this very abstract, angular flow and a really dangerous poise/attitude. Wormhole was an excellent album, still is, but it sent everyone off down this linear, streamlined path in terms of the groove...and a few months later you get the Nine from Bad Co and the legions of clones that ruined the sound to a large degree at that time.

is it ok to say that the early ram records were fantastic and also that bad company did some good uns too on occasions.

that boymerang remix of technology, wormhole, torque etc are all class.

i thought the last panacea album he did with limewax, - empire was really great too.

that record on no u turn where the dolphin noises are slowed down is pretty amazing too, so fucking grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    There's quite a big difference between the no u-turn sound and the later 98-2000 stuff from the likes of Konflict, Bad Co. etc...I think they are very different beasts.

The best stuff from 97, pre-Wormhole, like Mad Different Methods had this very abstract, angular flow and a really dangerous poise/attitude. Wormhole was an excellent album, still is, but it sent everyone off down this linear, streamlined path in terms of the groove...and a few months later you get the Nine from Bad Co and the legions of clones that ruined the sound to a large degree at that time.
    I agree with this, there is a difference between techstep and what has been called neurofunk (don't like the name, but I guess it describes what's going on, think it comes from reynolds?) Ed Rush and Optical really changed the whole direction of the music with the early virus releases and the wormhole lp. Pretty soon the scene was filled with copycats and then Bad Company came along, the funk and groove got lost and harder than thou macho attitude with plenty of midrange action took over.

not a big techstep head myself (got into dnb through wormhole mainly) but would recommend all the no u turn stuff and saigon the sublabel, a lot of technical itch and dom & roland on moving shadow from around 95-97, some of the emotif/sour stuff from that time and the early renegade hardware stuff (right up to and perhaps including the quantum mechanics compilation)

as for neurofunk the first two ed rush and optical lps, wormhole and creeps, and pretty much everything they did together up until that point. The first matrix lp, Sleepwalk, is awesome, one of my favourite dnb lp's and there is alot of good stuff on his label Metro. the Clockwork lp by Stakka and Skynet, and maybe the early bad company stuff and the armageddon compilation on renegade hardware.

I'd seriously recommend all of Optical's pre-Wormhole solo stuff, especially on prototype. To Shape the Future, Moving 808s etc...all so so good.

To me this was the high water mark...platinum breakz 1&2, the early headz releases, prototype, goldie. Superior to all that 95 amen, foul play, omni trio stuff even.

bruce lee mc on ninja tune + liberty one on emotif !!!!

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    To me this was the high water mark...platinum breakz 1&2, the early headz releases, prototype, goldie. Superior to all that 95 amen, foul play, omni trio stuff even.
    BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!