late 90s tech-step

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm sorry, this is irrelevant, but very lovely, and will make you nostalgic:

This sort of thing was acceptable in 1994, wasn't it? But not in 1996. It's hard to say why that was the case, but it totally was.

hucks

Your Message Here
I'm sorry, this is irrelevant, but very lovely, and will make you nostalgic:

This sort of thing was acceptable in 1994, wasn't it? But not in 1996. It's hard to say why that was the case, but it totally was.

Wicked. The last Aquarius tune did indeed come out in 96, I think. Tearing breaks, swooshing synths. Super. 96 was pretty much the end of the Bukem sound being worth listening to. Logical Progression was like the greatest hits from a retiring band.

Last edited:

luka

you lot are mad. jump-up killed this music long before tech-step got invented. jump-up was easily as bad, almost worse. and its true what craner says, conrad is the worst mc in history. he is the equivelient of crazy d.

DJ PIMP

Wicked. The last Aquarius tune did indeed come out in 96, I think.

Just the production in tunes like that gets me... big rolling subs, relatively light but punchy drums, ambient texture, the detroit influence in the synths. its all so elegant and lovely and sounds magic on a P.A... so much space and groove.

Jungle!

craner

Beast of Burden
I should mention that Luka and Matt Ingram once informed me, in a Bow pub, that nothing good came of jungle after the end of 1994. I felt very unhip! Luckily I'd sold most of my records by then, so was slightly mitigated.

craner

Beast of Burden
That Aquarius track was from 94 and 'Drift to the Centre' was another lovely one from the same time. I reckon that Photek was actually better before he discovered his own style. It was all downhill from there!

luka

i had no idea you were so deep into drum and bass craner. this thread is a revelation to me.
me and matt were right though.

come on. that would only give the genre just about a year's shelflife. 95 was a great years raving as i remember it...96 the rot had definitely set in. admittedly things are at the most exciting before they're codified but i remember a good two years plus of amazing parties...anyway thread drift...i suppose the point of this thread was to pick out what might have been good retrospectively about a much maligned period...

luka

not my fault you were late son!
i don't know anyone who was still listening to drum and bass in 95. (not inclusing craner) it amazes me that anyone could have stuch with it that long it really does.
did you actually like that whole jump-up era? it was shit! it was so corny! you started getting pirates playing garage in what? 96, 97? 96 probably. so why still listening to d&b? the mind boggles... then you started getting timbaland coming through... there was alternatives! options! d&b was no longer necessary. the raves were shit. metalheadz at blue note was shit. blue note was shit full stop. everything was shit. progression sessions and all that, fuck off! world dance, all the big ones, all shit. movement shit, speed, shit, everything shit! hated it.

D

droid

you lot are mad. jump-up killed this music long before tech-step got invented. jump-up was easily as bad, almost worse. and its true what craner says, conrad is the worst mc in history. he is the equivelient of crazy d.

Thats crazy talk. Jump Up had cut up breaks and crazy basslines in true jungle fashion - the thread leading to jump up takes in stuff like Krome and Times' anthems on Tearin, early Ganja kru and Frontline, Redlight, etc... 2 tunes already mentioned here, Rollidge and the Lighter remix on Formation are both incredible records, as are many of Hypes' remixes from 94-96, which would now be considered jump-up - stuff like his mix of RIP.

It was when Jump-up crossed with post No-U turn tech step that it got really shit. Stuff like 'the Formula' LP and the ultimate shitty jump-step tune Shy FX's 'Wolf'.

I should mention that Luka and Matt Ingram once informed me, in a Bow pub, that nothing good came of jungle after the end of 1994. I felt very unhip! Luckily I'd sold most of my records by then, so was slightly mitigated.

This is rubbish as well. Take for example, Droppin' Science. Their first 10 releases are amazing, and all except one was released in 95. Photek's stuff on Science was all post 95, and half of his earlier stuff on his own label was done in 95, the aforementioned Ganja, killed it in 95 as well... I could go on for a while, but heres the magic bullet:

Babylon was released in 1995!!

luka

whats babylon?
besides which it takes more than a couple of tunes to make a scene. just cos someone releases a good speed-garage record now doesn't mean that scene is still live. (even though it is up north according to dissensus, which i can well beleive)

it amazes me that anyone could have stuch with it that long it really does.

longer than a year? or were you going out to imaginary jungle raves in 1992-3...?

a great deal of what was played on the garage scene could comfortably be described as corny as well...i suppose that was over by, what, 1998? in any case i went to plenty of great jungle raves in 95...tho not at the places you mentioned...and as i say...thread drift...;)

UFO over easy

online mahjong
not my fault you were late son!
i don't know anyone who was still listening to drum and bass in 95. (not inclusing craner) it amazes me that anyone could have stuch with it that long it really does.
did you actually like that whole jump-up era? it was shit! it was so corny! you started getting pirates playing garage in what? 96, 97? 96 probably. so why still listening to d&b? the mind boggles... then you started getting timbaland coming through... there was alternatives! options! d&b was no longer necessary. the raves were shit. metalheadz at blue note was shit. blue note was shit full stop. everything was shit. progression sessions and all that, fuck off! world dance, all the big ones, all shit. movement shit, speed, shit, everything shit! hated it.

what's babylon?

haahhahaha... it sounds like you just didn't like it in first place, in which case your opinion on the subject doesn't interest me at all :p

ps: in 1994 I was 8 years old

Last edited:
D

droid

whats babylon?
besides which it takes more than a couple of tunes to make a scene. just cos someone releases a good speed-garage record now doesn't mean that scene is still live. (even though it is up north according to dissensus, which i can well beleive)

Whats Babylon?????

If you don't know then you really shouldn't be making comments about the state of jungle in 1995! :D

luka

haahhahaha... it sounds like you just didn't like it in first place, in which case your opinion on the subject doesn't interest me at all
i was absolutely consumed by hardocre/jungle fromm 91-94. so yeah, i was into it. i loved it to death. i had more kool fm tapes in my bedroom than you've ever seen in your life.
i was only 14 in 94 myself so i wasn't raving every weekend but yeah, i liked it enought ot know when it went sour put it that way.