late 90s tech-step

Leo

If you're at all interested, you can hear a old ass live PA of mine,
consisting of similar material, here...[/url]

am i imagining things are is there some recent stuff on here too? sounds like some new shackleton at the beginning and ikonika toward the end.

lissajou

am i imagining things are is there some recent stuff on here too? sounds like some new shackleton at the beginning and ikonika toward the end.

WOW! Sadly, no. It's all me, recorded live at a Jacksonville coffeehouse in the Summer of 2005. Awesome to be mistaken for Shackleton, however! Thanks a billion trillion for listening!

Leo

WOW! Sadly, no. It's all me, recorded live at a Jacksonville coffeehouse in the Summer of 2005. Awesome to be mistaken for Shackleton, however! Thanks a billion trillion for listening!

oops!...went back to the files and realized i had actually been listening to paul autonomic's "autonomic computing- mutantextures" mix that he just posted, which does in fact include some new shackleton and ikonika. BUT i have since listened to your live PA and totally dig it, so it's all good!

Pestario

tell your friends
oops!...went back to the files and realized i had actually been listening to paul autonomic's "autonomic computing- mutantextures" mix that he just posted, which does in fact include some new shackleton and ikonika. BUT i have since listened to your live PA and totally dig it, so it's all good!

haha, shouldn't have said anything!

craner

Beast of Burden
I had some early No-U-Turn 12"s like 'August' and 'Droid' and a few others. Those were good aesthetic objects: slabs of black vinyl and black sleeves with that ubiquitous logo...

uturn_logo_sm.jpg

Very smart and simple.

The main problem with Torque was the revolting cover art. Also, I swear they speeded the tracks up! I always thought this stuff was supposed to sound lumbering and fatigued...

2706.jpg

Really stupid.

Pestario

tell your friends
The main problem with Torque was the revolting cover art. Also, I swear they speeded the tracks up! I always thought this stuff was supposed to sound lumbering and fatigued...

2706.jpg

Really stupid.

It looks like the cover of a crappy sci-fi racing playstation game.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Nah, there's something much more strange about that image, it's somehow both ridiculous and disturbingly odd I think, I quite like it. In most CGI of that era realism is intended and it's really obvious what it's supposed to look like, but here it's not quite clear, there's just a hint of Autechre-esque mathematical abstraction. And that... thing... on it is a bit Tarkus-like, if not quite as amazing.

cutups

Torque was great for sure, a slice of an era.
I still remember the first time i heard the Replicantz remix...so gross.

A label that time has mostly forgotten but I really dug back then was Audio Blueprint.
Very dark and atmospheric, predated the more techno-influenced techstep sound of the very late 90's early 00's.

Pestario

tell your friends
Looks like No U-turn are playing at Ministry of sound on Easter Sunday doing a retrospective of all their material from 1992 to present.

Alchemy_Eshot03081.jpg

should be fun

DJ PIMP

I was referring really to just the no u-turn room. The others are nothing special.

this is slightly unfair i think... whether you rate the tunes or not, they're some proper DJs.

andy c is a machine... scotty, hype, friction, and randall ...

Pestario

tell your friends
this is slightly unfair i think... whether you rate the tunes or not, they're some proper DJs.

andy c is a machine... scotty, hype, friction, and randall ...

Sorry, I didn't mean the Djs were nothing special, I meant that the fact they were playing was not unusual.

Alfons

Way of the future
not being into the scene at the time and not being in england i'd like to know how big was the techstep stuff in the clubs and big raves at the time? did the no u turn stuff get played out by everybody? did the clubs generally get dark down and dirty with techstep for an extended period of time? coz many nights of that just seems too much!

This sound completely killed the whole thing stone dead. it made drum n bass nothing more than a place to take drugs. it always reminded me of what used to be called "london acid"- really distorted nightmarish hard trance for free parties, full of hormonal masculine aggression.

the epochal techstep tune was DJ Trace's remix of T-Power, "Mutant Jazz". Not sure if its been mentioned in the thread yet?

Tim F

When this stuff (whether from the late 90s or later) matches early-to-mid-90s jungle in terms of rhythmic intensity it's close to being my favourite music in the world - at it's best, like a metallic version of A Guy Called Gerald's best jungle. Sadly, such moments are fleeting. But some of them are:

Dom & Roland - Elektra (a good deal of Industry actually)
Source Direct - Controlled Developments EP
Klute - Silent Weapons
Teebee - Black Rain
4 Hero - We Who Are Not As Others
Lexis - Irrampent
Hidden Agenda - Dispatch #2

A lot of my favourite "techstep" was released on Certificate 18 actually.

The first few tracks on the Leon Switch & Kryptic Minds album from last year are in this vein and are pretty amazing.