late 90s tech-step

Pestario

tell your friends
Can anyone point me toward some mixes/artists/albums of late 90s tech-step/no u-turn style stuff. You know, the really stripped down robotic dnb which 'killed' the scene. I've been listening to Wormhole by Ed Rush and Optical and basically want more :mad:

cheers:)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
v recordings-

krust- warhead
dj suv- untitled double ep
ed rush & optical- funktion

Dusty

Tone deaf
Wormhole - such a classic album. Probably not too much of an overstatement to say it changed my life. I hadn't got into Jungle being a little too young and out in the sticks, but the dark tech DnB arrived at just the right time and sucked me in completely, until then my electronic music tastes consisted entirely of Aphex, Orbital and the Orb.

Anyway enough of the rambling, I'd recommend the following albums,

Technical Itch - Diagnostics
Decoder - Dissection
Dom & Roland - Industry

Difficult to find anything that had as much minimal funk to it as Wormhole - I'd love to hear other peoples suggestions.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
first 2 mampi swift eps on charge
nasty habits- shadow boxing

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
jonny l, decoder, danny breaks, krust, the dylan stuff on droppin' science, a few dom and roland singles and remixes on moving shadow, some higher sense stuff..

john eden

male pale and stale
Comps I rate would be

Planet V (which isn't quite harsh enough for techstep, still a bit funky in places!)

The Origin Unknown etc comp that Ram did circa 1997 - Speed of Sound

The mixmag comp that Aphrodite and Mickey Finn did (which combines tech step stuff like that Johnny L Piper one and more jump up bizness)

Lots of twelves too. Ram Trilogy, Optical, stuff like that.

What was that name of that mad Digital 12" on 31 Recs with all the mad ravey sounds?

I should really dig this stuff out...

Pestario

tell your friends
Thanks for these!

Difficult to find anything that had as much minimal funk to it as Wormhole - I'd love to hear other peoples suggestions.

Yeah it must be that minimal funk which I'm fiending for. They really forged their own sound.

tryptych said:
That no U-Turn comp "Torque" was pretty good. Nico's "Lo" on that I loved at the time.

Came across this just a minute ago. It looks like a good starting point, cheers for that.

RobJC

Check your weapon
There is an Ed Rush and Optical Radio 1 Essential Mix from 7th Feb 99 doing the rounds at the moment - might be what you are looking for as well - sorry - don't have a direct link but should be able to find it on t'interweb.

polystyle

Have heard the darker , hoover bass Rush & Optical type sound get dissed ,
but it sure did have it's moment(s) ...

Torque ... the primer

My trip with them ended with 'The Creeps' which just didn't seem as sticky as Wormhole and Torque did ...

bassnation

the abyss
Is that Deadline?

theres loads of digital tracks that meet that description, but isn't he post techstep really? more a part of the ill-fated "rave revival" stymied by the refusal to slow down from their funkless 180 bpm speed. doesn't matter what rave stabs people nick if its too fucking fast.

but i rate digital in a way that i don't with most contemporary dnb artists. b-boyism is a fucking mental track.

mixed_biscuits

Try Fanu?

I've been looking into the 'nu skool old skool' / hardcore breaks scene. There's some good stuff out there - it's as if the last 15 years never happened.

Last edited:
theres loads of digital tracks that meet that description, but isn't he post techstep really? more a part of the ill-fated "rave revival" stymied by the refusal to slow down from their funkless 180 bpm speed. doesn't matter what rave stabs people nick if its too fucking fast.

Yes, something like Phantom Force would fit better.

Early Matrix tracks were great, like the Springbox Remix.