late 90s tech-step

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
they call this stuff 'leftfield' now. god knows it's logical consequence of the most traditionally avant-funk tendancies. feels like being sucked through a maze in reverse.

I want to post a lot of offshore stuff but it's not on youtube.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
like being trapped in a blast furnace on an extremely high dose of concentrated thc. this stuff isn't even let the bad times roll, it's supposed to feel uncomfortable in the club blasted at high volume, that's the bloody point! the most evil synth noises ever. this stuff was huge in eastern europe/russia. i keep waiting for the balkan/moscow mentality to penetrate electronic music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
some interesting stuff coming out of berlin. micro-neuro. making the sounds as tiny and fragmented as possible. this is drum and bass its absolutely most alienating, even for the heads, and that's why it should be applauded, even if prolonged listening can get a bit (very) tiring.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
some of the new stuff from up north feels proper bleak. like the music you'd expect people in a country that has seen accelerated privatisation take place over the past 40 years. huge massive gongs of sound just echoing .. into the void. it's not an appealing or even joyful prospect but surely the idea that music is mere entertainment/pleasure no matter how twisted (or art for that matter) are capitalist constructs? that being said a whole set of this would be a bit much for me to take in a club gotta mix it up with the flavours. at home though, i can ride this shit. which is interesting in itself, maybe our memories of raving are actually fading and all we have left are the physical gradiants and coordinates.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
lot of my favourite records from the new jungle ting take like 96-97 and melt them in a meatgrinder. so it's not so much ersatz as bringing the old into the new (although granted there's way too much of the ersatz stuff as well just using bait 92-93-94 samples.) I probably still listen to 3-4 hours of jungle-dnb a day though, which is a bit of an uncommon occurrence on this forum. was listening to some offshore stuff last night and it still stands up with the best of them, esp the graphic tunes.

john eden

male pale and stale
Two Hoodie kids at Cromer railway station yesterday playing drum n bass off a phone that sounded like techstep in places. Had that buzzsaw late-dubstep sound going on too.

Desperately unhip, left a trail of own brand cigarette papers behind them. Sound of the suburbs. Great to see.

luka

It's become a tremendously pared down restricted sound pallette hasn't it completely abandoned any imagination just tweak the template fractionally with the same boring noises every time wwrrr rrrrwr wuur

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's become a tremendously pared down restricted sound pallette hasn't it completely abandoned any imagination just tweak the template fractionally with the same boring noises every time wwrrr rrrrwr wuur

yeah well uk drill instrumentals are exactly the same with the exact same drum kit and not even the bass tweaked. I don't think it's a dance music symptom but a general malaise of music not having the mass appeal it once had.

luka

They are yeah. Which is one of the many reasons drill has such limited appeal and it's achievement is a relatively minor one

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
yeah well uk drill instrumentals are exactly the same with the exact same drum kit and not even the bass tweaked. I don't think it's a dance music symptom but a general malaise of music not having the mass appeal it once had.

TBF though, UK Drill hasn't been sounding almost exactly the same since for almost 20 years. :crylarf:

I used to love going to tech dnb nights, do a couple of speedy pills, get totally absorbed in it in the dark. Definitely not music that can be judged from your desk on headphones. (Ala. Dubstep.)

Ultimately I did find this subgenre so repetitious and devoid of fresh ideas, though. And the sniffy attitude of people who are into it towards every other form of drum n bass (in my experience). Yanks on Dogs on Acid fetishing Noisia mixdowns.

Only the other day luka was saying how aesthetically he goes for stuff that's very pared down, bare bones, shed of sentiment.