work contracts

mms

sometimes
does anyone know the answer to this:

whats the law on working full time but say you haven't had your contract renewed and you're still working full time without a renewed contract?
where does the law lie on this?
is it towards the rights of the worker, or the employer?
do the rights of the employee revert back to the same rights as a temp if they need to ie, if they want to leave do they need to give notice to leave, can an employee change an employee's wage at a whim etc?
this is uk based i'm thinking about.

john eden

male pale and stale
It is quite dodgy, basically. I think you could probably argue that the worker is continuing on the basis that their terms and conditions will continue (i.e. wages, hours etc).

But in theory everything is up for grabs, which will favour the boss man.

If it's you, get some advice.

mms

sometimes
It is quite dodgy, basically. I think you could probably argue that the worker is continuing on the basis that their terms and conditions will continue (i.e. wages, hours etc).

But in theory everything is up for grabs, which will favour the boss man.

If it's you, get some advice.

it's really a kind of curiosity more than anything else.

so british laws wholly protect the company even if the company makes no effort to protect the worker in circumstances like this, is that what you're saying?

what do you mean everything is up for grabs?

john eden

male pale and stale
I think what I mean is that I'm not sure, but if I had to guess I would say there was minimal protection for the worker in terms of notice required in that situation.

(Tho I suppose that goes both ways - a worker could just leave, as I did once when my contract expired, much to the surprise of my wanker of a boss).

I think actively changing stuff like pay rates and hours would probably require a new contract tho?

It's all guess work, but that seems likely to me...

sufi

lala
if you have worked in the same job with or without a contract for 12 months then you have full rights as if you are under contract,
beat your boss with that stick only if it will work in your favour (i.e maybe get a redundancy payment if they lay you off), if not (i.e because you don't want to give notice) then keep quiet about it :cool: