Walks You Have Done.

polystyle

walks not poop

Glad to see this thread continuing and not turned into 'poohs someone you have done'
as suggested a couple past bk

michael

Bring out the vacuum
originaldrum said:
if any of you ever end up New Zealand ways, you have to check out these walks

Tongariro trail - 10 hours
Rakiura trail - 3 days
Queen Charlotte trail - 4 days

they are all awsome, pack out what you pack in type walks, some have bunkers (tongariro) which i spose are like fancy bothy's (sp)

Over the Tongariro saddle is amazing, but you obviously have to get the weather right. I did it on a clear day in the middle of summer and it was beautiful looking up at the weirdly conical Mt Ngauruhoe and out across the North Island in all other directions.

I reckon another spectacular walk in the North Island of NZ is around Lake Waikaremoana. But really most of the highly dramatic landscape is in the South.

Last edited:

Helen

Tumbling Dice
Underground

Now and again we go exploring stormwater drains and the like, full of interesting surprises like steps-cum-waterfalls, sudden high caverns, nice graffiti and secret messages.
Didn't make it down any drains when last in London but here are some sites detailing potentially interesting subterranean excursions around the UK;
<li><a href="http://www.starfury.demon.co.uk/uground/" target="_blank">Disused Stations on the London Underground</a></li>
<li><a href="http://www.sub-urban.com/main.htm" target="_blank">Explorable subterranean tunnels and abandoned sites across the UK</a></li>

Last edited:

luka

south

abbey wood
belvedere
deptford
bermondsey
woolich

all that stuff, greenwich to tower bridge, that sort of rubbish, good though...

D

droid

Helen said:
Now and again we go exploring stormwater drains and the like, full of interesting surprises like steps-cum-waterfalls, sudden high caverns, nice graffiti and secret messages.
Didn't make it down any drains when last in London but here are some sites detailing potentially interesting subterranean excursions around the UK;
<li><a href="http://www.starfury.demon.co.uk/uground/" target="_blank">Disused Stations on the London Underground</a></li>
<li><a href="http://www.sub-urban.com/main.htm" target="_blank">Explorable subterranean tunnels and abandoned sites across the UK</a></li>

:eek: Great links.

Rambler

Awanturnik
There's a good all-day walk from Blackheath Point to Alexandra Palace - about 14 miles and you hardly do any streets at all.

Start at Blackheath Point, strain your eyes to see Ally Pally hill on the horizon. Then Greenwich foot tunnel to the Isle of Dogs, follow the river round to Limehouse basin (nice mid-morning pint), pick up the canal (stop in Mile End for fry up lunch), there's a bit of a hack through Highbury to pick up the Parkway in Finsbury Park, then it's woods all the way to the Palace. Turn round and strain your eyes to see where you've come from (hint: it's the hill behind the one you think it is).

Hard work but very satisfying.

craner

Beast of Burden
This thread gave back two sweet memories. Read it from the start and go walking you funky house psychos.

luka

There's a good all-day walk from Blackheath Point to Alexandra Palace - about 14 miles and you hardly do any streets at all.

Start at Blackheath Point, strain your eyes to see Ally Pally hill on the horizon. Then Greenwich foot tunnel to the Isle of Dogs, follow the river round to Limehouse basin (nice mid-morning pint), pick up the canal (stop in Mile End for fry up lunch), there's a bit of a hack through Highbury to pick up the Parkway in Finsbury Park, then it's woods all the way to the Palace. Turn round and strain your eyes to see where you've come from (hint: it's the hill behind the one you think it is).

Hard work but very satisfying.

The Point, not called Blackheath Point, is one of my favourite places in London. When i was still a smoker i used to go up there to smoke at night. you meet all sorts up there in the early hours. definitely one of the best views in London. i miss things like that more than i miss being high.

luka

go walking you funky house psychos.

the biggest walk i ever did was the ridgeway from Tring to Avebury. I did about 25 miles a day for 4 days and slept under trees. didnt bother bringing a tent cos they are too heavy. im toying with the idea of doing another mad one this summer.

droid

Be careful!

There's an incredible walk Id like to take you all on. Includes the grave of Aideen, a 6000 year old Dolmen, scrabbles up steep hills through undergrowth and tunnels of trees and bushes, lost wanderings through woods of beech, rowan, alder & oak, gambols on tended plains, cradling in bowls above a minor metropolis, trudging up rocky paths to gaze over placid harbours as the moon rises.

This year its the on the evening of August 17th. It'll be a night to remember.

Last edited:

luka

Be careful!

There's an incredible walk Id like to take you all on. Includes the grave of Aideen, a 6000 year old Dolmen, scrabbles up steep hills through undergrowth and tunnels of trees and bushes, lost wanderings through woods of beech, rowan, alder 7 oak, gambols on tended plains, being cradled in bowls above a minor metropolis, trudging up rocky paths to gaze over placid harbours as the moon rises.

droids flying us all to Eire, the Mystic Emerald Isle, feeding us all 100 acids, then taking us to an ancient sacred landscape of dolmens and mist! cant wait! 2 days after my birthday!

droid

I'd love to be able to do that, but alas, my finances don't stretch that far. We have people coming over from Spain, the Czech Republic and the UK though, so anyone who can make their own arrangements is welcome. I can at least guarantee you'll make it down from the hill alive, we haven't lost anyone... yet.

Acid is frowned upon after an unfortunate incident some years back, though there is other entertainment available.

This walk is the subject of a music/art/writing project Ive been working on for some time. Check out the scenery.

**EDIT - took out the photos**

Last edited:

luka

lush. did i tel you i went Carnac a few years ago?

this is a picture of me at dawn.
it's good over there. what is the mysterious 'we' you always refer to?

droid

We have a committee. There are logistics, health and safety issues, plus an assessment process for inductees.

Group nocturnal wilderness spiritual experiences dont just happen by themselves, there's a surprising amount of admin and planning involved, especially when we have new people.

Got a bit out of hand last year and we were chased through the woods by a police helicopter, though we have implemented some new procedures to minimise exposure.

droid

Be careful!

There's an incredible walk Id like to take you all on. Includes the grave of Aideen, a 6000 year old Dolmen, scrabbles up steep hills through undergrowth and tunnels of trees and bushes, lost wanderings through woods of beech, rowan, alder & oak, gambols on tended plains, being cradled in bowls above a minor metropolis, trudging up rocky paths to gaze over placid harbours as the moon rises.

And it was! Thinking of late May next year.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I might like to come on one of these if I can escape the nipper for a weekend, which is a looming possibility.

droid

:love::love: Still recovering after last week and dates are very provisional until at least 3 months ahead. Will update you both.