Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walks You Have Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Backjob
    I'm going to go walking in Tokyo on friday. It's bitterly cold and a bit damp and grey, so perfect walking weather. It's very flat so you can walk for miles, and it's good because no two bits of it are really the same so there's lots to look at. The downside is there aren't many places with views because all the buildings are too tall. I want to find an industrial area, but failing that will just wander around Shinjuku.
    Recommendation: do the river boat from that area north of Ginza, east of Akihabara - can't remember what it's called - all the way down to the harbour. Then get off and walk around. Very easy to get lost and out of your depth.

I once walked from Minato-ku to shibuya along the main road and I'm not sure my lungs will ever recover.

However, my favourite walks are along the coast in cornwall.

Last Sunday we walked from our house to a wood packed with natural springs that feed Hobsons Brook in Cambridge. It was a bit bleak and the springs had been scraped out by mechanical diggers recently - but still better than a wintry wood should be.
    Last edited by HMGovt; 09-02-2005 at 11:08 PM.

if any of you ever end up New Zealand ways, you have to check out these walks

Tongariro trail - 10 hours
    Rakiura trail - 3 days
    Queen Charlotte trail - 4 days

they are all awsome, pack out what you pack in type walks, some have bunkers (tongariro) which i spose are like fancy bothy's (sp)
    what you know about ips, we are the top boys in ips

Quote Originally Posted by Backjob
    I I want to find an industrial area, but failing that will just wander around Shinjuku.
    Hi B
    Looking for industrial Tokyo - depends on how much time you have .
    South of Tokyo in Kawasaki you wil find that ,
    Oil , gas refineries with puffs of flame pluming

* even monorail from Hamamatsucho to Haneda Airport (1 hour or less),
    on the rail you are above and can see what's there .

While even 'ol Haneda's been redone and looking spiffy,
    some of the areas around Tokyo Bay are pretty gritty and strange.
    Touring the area by van years ago we saw the buildings there that were some inspiration for the
    Tyrell buildings in Bladerunner .

Really depends on how much time you have , above RT could be 2-3 hours

Tokyo Bay's Odaiba used to be wild, weed filled landfill industrial artificial island but by now it's Venus Port
    but that's another fun

Thumbs up

how about a 'poos you have done' thread?

that's weird, my flat backs on to the finsbury park-e finchley walk. it's an old railway line, and it clips crouch end and the bottom end of highgate before it gets to finchley. kind of between muswell hill and highgate hill.

Default walks not poop

Glad to see this thread continuing and not turned into 'poohs someone you have done'
    as suggested a couple past bk

http://onepearsallandhisbooks.blogsp...-ugly-day.html

Some of you might enjoy this.

I always big up my blog, but I put the time in, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by originaldrum
    if any of you ever end up New Zealand ways, you have to check out these walks

Tongariro trail - 10 hours
    Rakiura trail - 3 days
    Queen Charlotte trail - 4 days

they are all awsome, pack out what you pack in type walks, some have bunkers (tongariro) which i spose are like fancy bothy's (sp)
    Over the Tongariro saddle is amazing, but you obviously have to get the weather right. I did it on a clear day in the middle of summer and it was beautiful looking up at the weirdly conical Mt Ngauruhoe and out across the North Island in all other directions.

I reckon another spectacular walk in the North Island of NZ is around Lake Waikaremoana. But really most of the highly dramatic landscape is in the South.
    Last edited by michael; 25-03-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Default Underground

Now and again we go exploring stormwater drains and the like, full of interesting surprises like steps-cum-waterfalls, sudden high caverns, nice graffiti and secret messages.
    Didn't make it down any drains when last in London but here are some sites detailing potentially interesting subterranean excursions around the UK;
  10. Disused Stations on the London Underground

11. Explorable subterranean tunnels and abandoned sites across the UK
  12. Last edited by Helen; 20-04-2005 at 06:20 AM.

south

abbey wood
    belvedere
    deptford
    bermondsey
    woolich

all that stuff, greenwich to tower bridge, that sort of rubbish, good though...

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Helen
    Now and again we go exploring stormwater drains and the like, full of interesting surprises like steps-cum-waterfalls, sudden high caverns, nice graffiti and secret messages.
    Didn't make it down any drains when last in London but here are some sites detailing potentially interesting subterranean excursions around the UK;
  15. Disused Stations on the London Underground

16. Explorable subterranean tunnels and abandoned sites across the UK
  17. Great links.

this is my walk to work when it's dry

http://www.derelictlondon.com/id638.htm

then up over highgate , down past the cemetry and down the hill to gospel oak

if you look like it on google maps it looks like a green scar.

it's a couple of miles or so .
    belly flattening

There's a good all-day walk from Blackheath Point to Alexandra Palace - about 14 miles and you hardly do any streets at all.

Start at Blackheath Point, strain your eyes to see Ally Pally hill on the horizon. Then Greenwich foot tunnel to the Isle of Dogs, follow the river round to Limehouse basin (nice mid-morning pint), pick up the canal (stop in Mile End for fry up lunch), there's a bit of a hack through Highbury to pick up the Parkway in Finsbury Park, then it's woods all the way to the Palace. Turn round and strain your eyes to see where you've come from (hint: it's the hill behind the one you think it is).

Hard work but very satisfying.

This thread gave back two sweet memories. Read it from the start and go walking you funky house psychos.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    There's a good all-day walk from Blackheath Point to Alexandra Palace - about 14 miles and you hardly do any streets at all.

Start at Blackheath Point, strain your eyes to see Ally Pally hill on the horizon. Then Greenwich foot tunnel to the Isle of Dogs, follow the river round to Limehouse basin (nice mid-morning pint), pick up the canal (stop in Mile End for fry up lunch), there's a bit of a hack through Highbury to pick up the Parkway in Finsbury Park, then it's woods all the way to the Palace. Turn round and strain your eyes to see where you've come from (hint: it's the hill behind the one you think it is).

Hard work but very satisfying.
    The Point, not called Blackheath Point, is one of my favourite places in London. When i was still a smoker i used to go up there to smoke at night. you meet all sorts up there in the early hours. definitely one of the best views in London. i miss things like that more than i miss being high.