Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stella - evil in a can?

Default Stella - evil in a can?

When we moved into our current flat about 7 years ago we often played host to Mr Artois in his glorious "Six for Five" incarnation.

But as time passed I just found it headache-inducing and began to pick up hints of a deeply sinister metallic flavour in it. So I knocked it on the head and got into Red Stripe and Kronenbourg.

Last night someone bought me a pint of Stella and the whole sorry state of affairs returned.

It's also a bit weird how people seem to be able to blame violent behaviour on it? (Which also begs the question, why drink it?)

Is it just me? Or am I simply a lightweight?

i drink heineken at home.

redstripe isn't vegetarian afaik. :-(

any booze consumed 4 pack style in its entirity gives me a hangover, stella or not. but i'm defo a lightweight.

even belgians don't drink stella- they drink jupiler etc. stella factory in leuven is like a city.

and drinking lager in a pub? boo!

Sorry, John, I thought you only drank vegan ale, especially brewed by members of Rubella Ballet.

I think Stella, Becks and Heineken are the best of the frequently-occurring cornershop lagers. Kronenbourg is simply horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by matt b View Post
    i drink heineken at home.

redstripe isn't vegetarian afaik. :-(

any booze consumed 4 pack style in its entirity gives me a hangover, stella or not. but i'm defo a lightweight.

even belgians don't drink stella- they drink jupiler etc. stella factory in leuven is like a city.
    For vegetarian, you want German beers, generally speaking.

Stella is the only beer that gives me a same-day headache.

Quote Originally Posted by STN View Post
    For vegetarian, you want German beers, generally speaking.
    i try not to find out the vegetarian providence o9f most beers- i just happened to find out about red stripe.

The particular strain of Saccharomyces carlsbergensis used in brewing Stella makes unique yeast alkaloids that are metabolised into PCP in the gut, hence the propensity towards aggressive behaviour. 100% FACT.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by matt b View Post

and drinking lager in a pub? boo!
    In my defence, I am a product of the South East. I do stretch to guinness tho, like the effete metrosexual with delusions of edginess I assuredly am.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    But as time passed I just found it headache-inducing and began to pick up hints of a deeply sinister metallic flavour in it. So I knocked it on the head and got into Red Stripe and Kronenbourg.
    see, this is strange because i am the same with kronenburg - it gives me the worst hangovers imaginable, that and red wine - so bad i can't drink either of them. someone said to me that i might have better luck with certain types of red wine as i might be mildly allergic to something in the ones i am drinking (rioja, pinot grigio etc). as far as kronenburg goes, i have no idea. stella i'm ok with, but i drink fairly often (too bloody often, really) and because of the calories in lager i tend to avoid all of them and drink dark rum n coke. now thats the true reggae choice, suprised you ain't on it, sunshine!

But as time passed I just found it headache-inducing and began to pick up hints of a deeply sinister metallic flavour in it.
    It's weird - I never noticed the metallic taste until an old flatmate pointed it out mid-pint, and since then i've never been able to drink it without being very aware of it. I dont think I even enjoyed the stuff in the first place so it's for the best.
    in the eyes of the lord i drive a spaceship.

its colloqually known as "wifebeater" in the north west...i think that says it all

Is this something that happens when half decent Euro lagers start getting brewed locally in the UK? It's the water I think - Kronenbourg used to be alright but then it went the way of Stella. San Miguel is just revolting now but I'm sure it used to be OK. Peroni still rules, worth the bit extra.

Big up my budvar massive. Or should i say my co-op Czech lager massive.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    i tend to avoid all of them and drink dark rum n coke. now thats the true reggae choice, suprised you ain't on it, sunshine!
    I'd like to big up Dragon Stout in the strongest possible way. That stuff's great.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    The particular strain of Saccharomyces carlsbergensis used in brewing Stella makes unique yeast alkaloids that are metabolised into PCP in the gut, hence the propensity towards aggressive behaviour. 100% FACT.
    So it's Angel Dust in a can? It makes me feel waterlogged after 5 or 6 pints, I can feel it squelching around in my gut, though I can drink the cans and bottles and feel relatively OK. Plus it goes right through you in cold weather, so I've gone back to Guinness for now.