Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stella - evil in a can?

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    i think i asked this once but i forget the answer...

this 'cold guinness' they have now - when i was in london a couple of years ago, every time my canadian mouth said 'guinness' the bartender would reach for 'cold guinness' and i'd have to say 'no, sorry, i meant the regular kind please.' do you have that tap just for north americans or is 'cold' the new in-thing, like clear colas in the 90s? it tastes wrong.
    it is/was a fashion thing. tastes like shit. some pubs only have 'cold' now.

even worse is smoothflow bitter. bejesus.

now, as much as it's totally shite, i actually don't mind the occasional smoothflow beer - or cream ale as they call them on the other side of the atlantic. you just have to completely divorce yourself from the idea that you're drinking real beer, view it is a bit of a weird novelty that has nothing to do with what beer should taste like and it's actually pretty nice now and again.

the lime in corona thing is just a bit naff, really. it's a kind of a provincial 80s hangover and should have gone the way of baggy white suits and espadrilles. i dunno about not trusting people who do it, but i'd certainly say they were a bit stupid.
    Last edited by stelfox; 12-03-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simon silverdollar View Post
    what do people think of the whole putting lime into Corona thing? i've always found that revolting, and i don't fully trust any one who does it (so there!).
    The tradition of putting a slice of lemon or lime in Mexican beers came about as a way to keep flies out of the bottle. It's got sod all to do with the taste (which, as far as I can see, is pretty similar to any European lager).

And Nomos, re. the extra-cold beer thing: fucking annoyingm, isn't it? It just makes the beer taste of (even) less, makes the glass uncomfortable to hold and hurts your teeth when you drink it. I believe it may have been started by Guinness so as to allow it to be poured faster, because it's less frothy. Then the lager brewers started doing it, as if lager isn't cold enough already...bunch of arse, it's like 'smoothflow' bitter all over again.

Edit: stelfox, you are dead to me!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by stelfox View Post
    now, as much as it's totally shite, i actually don't mind the occasional smoothflow beer - or cream ale as they call them on the other side of the atlantic. you just have to completely divorce yourself from the idea that you're drinking real beer, view it is a bit of a weird novelty that has nothing to do with what beer should taste like and it's actually pretty nice now and again.

the lime in corona thing is just a bit naff, really. it's a kind of a provincial 80s hangover and should have gone the way of baggy white suits and espadrilles. i dunno about not trusting people who do it, but i'd certainly say they were a bit stupid.
    yeah, but all that aside (and off topic as usual) but dark rum n coke without lime is a travesty that should be punishable by death. there are so many places that don't know how to serve spirits. no ice, flat coke and no lemon or lime. eurrggh.

and worse still i had someone try to serve me a brandy in a tall glass with ice cubes in the other day. wrong, wrong, WRONG.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    and worse still i had someone try to serve me a brandy in a tall glass with ice cubes in the other day. wrong, wrong, WRONG.
    I used to work in a pub and was once asked for a glass of Glen Summthing'Orothergh with ice in it. I just said, slightly incredulously, "Ice? In a single malt?", causing him to go "er, OK, no ice then". I like to feel I discharged my barmanly duties honorably.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I don't mind the lime in corona thing and I do think that and Sol share a taste that merits it. Have I just fallen for the hype?

In response to Silverdollar's comment about untrustworthiness, I once bought a single for 79p and sold it to one of my dearest friends for a fiver.

In resposnes to Stefox's espadrille allegations, I was prevetned from buying a pair a mere two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    You should have punched them in the face for that...

simon silverdollar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STN View Post

In resposnes to Stefox's espadrille allegations, I was prevetned from buying a pair a mere two days ago.

me too. i think i'm listening to way too much italo disco at the moment.

I don't mind the lime in corona thing and I do think that and Sol share a taste that merits
    I guess if you're used to tasting them with lime, it's going to taste odd (to you) without lime, so it ends up being justified through familiarity.

Or, they do just taste different (FACT!) and you are a fascist for suggesting otherwise.

Or, they do just taste different (FACT!) and you are a fascist for suggesting otherwise.
    *goose-steps all over your face*

I think I picked up the FACT! thing from those awful adverts you get, for toothpaste or cleaning products or whatever, that start with someone shouting "FACT!" (which is then followed up by some meaningless statistic to do with gut bacteria or home insulation), as if to say "This is a FACT!, and of you don't like it you can just FUCK OFF!".

Edit: the same website that supplied me with Barry Scott also has this:

which for some bizarre reason I find funny.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 12-03-2008 at 01:43 PM.

i enjoy the occasional stella but its usually in the same way that i occasionally like a blast of ket, its messy stuff and i end up a bit of an emotional wreck.

Extra cold guinness is the way to go in rubbish pubs as it takes away the stale taste, its the same barrel just chilled through more pipes. Just make sure you dont get the first pint of the day you get a load of black devils dandruff in there. One thing that was awful, I dont know if it ever came out here was 'Breo', a wheat beer stlyeguinness, horrible stuff.

As for lime in beers, its the only way to go on hoegarden type stuff, takes that flowery edge off when actually attempting a full one of those flower pot like glasses.

Had one of my greatest warm ale experiences the other day in the marble beer house in ancoats here in manc. I was having a bottle of their Ginger 6% ale which had been nestling against a lamp on the top shelf and the heat in it really brought out the zingy ginger taste to make it one of the greatest pints ive ever had. If you see marble beers anywhere snap them up, i think they have started selling them in boutique offies and selfridges (check the lagonda, ginger or chocolate, all fantastic in their own way)

and as for rioja i just dont tunderstand it, i've drank alledgedy good expensive bottles at my girls parents and was seriously underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by simon silverdollar View Post
    what do people think of the whole putting lime into Corona thing? i've always found that revolting, and i don't fully trust any one who does it (so there!).
    It's a very Mexican thing to do... For extra authenticity, add hot sauce. Any good Mexican place will give you a dish of lime slices and salt with yr beers.

The major American beers now sell "chelada" styles with lime (and clamato -- clam + tomato sauce!) already in it to appeal to the Hispanic market. Looks absoutely disgusting, I still haven't had the nerve to try it.

What's wrong with espadrilles?

Stella is my drink of choice on nights out, (cuz I can't afford spirits) and I'm a sleepy, happy drunk. I don't really buy the idea that different drinks put you in different moods, it's an old wife's tale.