Stella - evil in a can?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Or, they do just taste different (FACT!) and you are a fascist for suggesting otherwise.

*goose-steps all over your face*

I think I picked up the FACT! thing from those awful adverts you get, for toothpaste or cleaning products or whatever, that start with someone shouting "FACT!" (which is then followed up by some meaningless statistic to do with gut bacteria or home insulation), as if to say "This is a FACT!, and of you don't like it you can just FUCK OFF!".

barry-scott.jpg

Edit: the same website that supplied me with Barry Scott also has this:

childrenscoldmedicine.jpg

which for some bizarre reason I find funny.

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
i enjoy the occasional stella but its usually in the same way that i occasionally like a blast of ket, its messy stuff and i end up a bit of an emotional wreck.

Extra cold guinness is the way to go in rubbish pubs as it takes away the stale taste, its the same barrel just chilled through more pipes. Just make sure you dont get the first pint of the day you get a load of black devils dandruff in there. One thing that was awful, I dont know if it ever came out here was 'Breo', a wheat beer stlyeguinness, horrible stuff.

As for lime in beers, its the only way to go on hoegarden type stuff, takes that flowery edge off when actually attempting a full one of those flower pot like glasses.

Had one of my greatest warm ale experiences the other day in the marble beer house in ancoats here in manc. I was having a bottle of their Ginger 6% ale which had been nestling against a lamp on the top shelf and the heat in it really brought out the zingy ginger taste to make it one of the greatest pints ive ever had. If you see marble beers anywhere snap them up, i think they have started selling them in boutique offies and selfridges (check the lagonda, ginger or chocolate, all fantastic in their own way)

and as for rioja i just dont tunderstand it, i've drank alledgedy good expensive bottles at my girls parents and was seriously underwhelmed.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
what do people think of the whole putting lime into Corona thing? i've always found that revolting, and i don't fully trust any one who does it (so there!).

It's a very Mexican thing to do... For extra authenticity, add hot sauce. Any good Mexican place will give you a dish of lime slices and salt with yr beers.

The major American beers now sell "chelada" styles with lime (and clamato -- clam + tomato sauce!) already in it to appeal to the Hispanic market. Looks absoutely disgusting, I still haven't had the nerve to try it.

bud-chelada-1.jpg

swears

preppy-kei
Stella is my drink of choice on nights out, (cuz I can't afford spirits) and I'm a sleepy, happy drunk. I don't really buy the idea that different drinks put you in different moods, it's an old wife's tale.

tom pr

i never find the lime makes that much difference with Corona - barmen usually seem to pop it in the bottle neck whether you ask or not, and then I feel obliged to push it all the way in otherwise I'm just wasting the slice. but then again, I don't really distinguish between regular and cold guinness. I'll ask for regular given the choice but if i end up with cold i'm not fussed.

what's the board's opinion on fruuli? that strawberry beer that a couple of places in hackney do on tap, and a place on the kings road too. I once got very very pissed on it in the west end and all I could think of the next morning was this simmering red brew in my stomach. I haven’t trusted it since.

I do like kronenberg blanc. I've only found one place that does it on tap; one of the restaurant/bar places at bow wharf where jongluers is, but the bottles taste fine. There’s this german wheat beer that tastes like banana, and me and a mate of mine basically lived off it last summer, but I can’t remember the name off hand…

Chuu

Well La Di Bloody Da
what's the board's opinion on fruuli? that strawberry beer that a couple of places in hackney do on tap, and a place on the kings road too. I once got very very pissed on it in the west end and all I could think of the next morning was this simmering red brew in my stomach. I haven’t trusted it since.

It's pretty nice but you're right it has a bile-ish quality to it that after a few makes me think it should already have been in my stomach.

Anyone tried Ninkerberry (spelling?) at Belgo, mango flavoured beer, delish.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The major American beers now sell "chelada" styles with lime (and clamato -- clam + tomato sauce!) already in it to appeal to the Hispanic market. Looks absoutely disgusting, I still haven't had the nerve to try it.

Desperados - a 'Mexican' beer flavoured with tequila - has been available in the UK for a few years now. I imagine it goes down well with the Happy Hour crowd.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I do like kronenberg blanc.
Yeah, it's not bad actually, despite being a transparent attempt to crack the 'girly' market. :) Shame it costs an arm and a leg, though. Also, it annoys me that it ought to be blanche (since biere is feminine), especially since Krony is at least nominally a French beer. Perhaps I should try to be less easily annoyed.

There’s this german wheat beer that tastes like banana, and me and a mate of mine basically lived off it last summer, but I can’t remember the name off hand…
I find most German wheat beers taste a bit bananary - in a good way, though. Charles Welles does an ale that's actually brewed with bananas, it's well lush.

swears

preppy-kei
I had a bottle of that Desperados once and it was minging. I don't usually mind tequila, either.

nomos

Administrator

i like these fruity numbers (belgian cherry, quebec apricot wheat)

Belle%20Vue-kriek.jpg
McApricot.jpg

haven't really gone to town on either so i can't speak to any next-day residuals

tom pr

Oh yeah, that cherry one is lovely. my local stock it.

there's a place in the Angel called the Beirodrome that do loads of fruit flavoured beers; they have bottled coconut beers and raspberry beers that are very nice. it's a terrible name for a boozer though, makes it sound like something you'd find in Leicester Square. it's a little bit past that pub with the big garden at the front if you're walking from the station.

mms

sometimes
i like that Nigerian Guiness - i just had too bottles, but that's yr limit.

i like single malt whiskeys too esp Islay whiskeys, when i can afford it.
Whiskey is about the tastiest thing in the universe a very complex drink.
Nigerian Guiness is just goo tho!
Most lagers are really nasty.

mms

sometimes
it's gay (no no homo)

when i lived in spain i got off the beer (san miguel aside) and it was wonderful. wine and spirits are just too expensive in this country, it fucks me off.

people think you should have ice with whisky in this country.
Very wrong, it's a uk drink, but it's like french ppl having ice in wine.

N

nomadologist

It's a very Mexican thing to do... For extra authenticity, add hot sauce. Any good Mexican place will give you a dish of lime slices and salt with yr beers.

bud-chelada-1.jpg

Yeah, I do think lime in a beer does affect the taste, even if it used to be done to keep the flies out (which I have never heard but sounds plausible enough, I guess). And it's done now for taste.

Is there anything better than an extra salty margarita in the summer? I can't think of anything.

liquor > beer

I don't really buy the idea that different drinks put you in different moods, it's an old wife's tale.

I don't really buy it with beer, but I've noticed that people who are drunk on absinthe (not in the hallucinatory state, which I think is pretty hard to reach with today's legal absinthe) often start to randomly spout abuse from one minute to the other, almost tourette's like. It's kind of funny to observe.

swears

preppy-kei
I don't really buy it with beer, but I've noticed that people who are drunk on absinthe (not in the hallucinatory state, which I think is pretty hard to reach with today's legal absinthe) often start to randomly spout abuse from one minute to the other, almost tourette's like. It's kind of funny to observe.

Psychologically, getting drunk quickly on a strong spirit is going to to feel different than slowly getting drunk on beers, but it's all just booze at the end of the day. If you could imbibe all the alcohol from seven pints of Fosters as fast as you could from a shot of absinthe, it would still feel pretty weird.

straight

wings cru
nah man, im a completely different person on different drinks. i was drinking vodka for the first time in ages on a night out and i was a paranoid maniac, i must have put the guts of a bottle away over the night and was raring for more. had 3 ginger ales and a red wine at the marble a few days later and was in a nice fuzzy giggly blanket and completely plastered. Likewise white wine/gin turns me into a 45 year old divorced woman. All part of the rich boozy tapestry