Stella - evil in a can?

bassnation

the abyss
i like that Nigerian Guiness - i just had too bottles, but that's yr limit.

i like single malt whiskeys too esp Islay whiskeys, when i can afford it.
Whiskey is about the tastiest thing in the universe a very complex drink.
Nigerian Guiness is just goo tho!
Most lagers are really nasty.

i love malt whiskeys but really, really love cognac. it was a revelation to me quite a few years ago to find there were spirits so complex, rich and beautiful that to mix them was missing the point. i can drink that stuff til the cows come home if it wasn't so expensive.

swears

preppy-kei
nah man, im a completely different person on different drinks. i was drinking vodka for the first time in ages on a night out and i was a paranoid maniac, i must have put the guts of a bottle away over the night and was raring for more. had 3 ginger ales and a red wine at the marble a few days later and was in a nice fuzzy giggly blanket and completely plastered. Likewise white wine/gin turns me into a 45 year old divorced woman. All part of the rich boozy tapestry

Isn't it to do with the mood/situation you're in in the first place?

Anyone familiar with the science behind different types of booze and behaviour?

Always heard it doesn't matter what you're drinking, booze is booze.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Set and setting is a big part of it but there will also be other constituents in drinks that have an effect.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's gay (no no homo)

when i lived in spain i got off the beer (san miguel aside) and it was wonderful. wine and spirits are just too expensive in this country, it fucks me off.

agreed on both counts.

i wish you could get better fruit juices and cheaper, larger measures of better-quality vodka in bars here. i'd rarely drink anything else in the summer were that the case....

also fruuli is disgusting and very, very gay.

in fact, most fruit beers are pretty foul if you drink more than one.

saying that, the mcauslan apricot beer is gorgeous, but i'm an absolute sucker for anything involving apricots or peaches.

i like these fruity numbers (belgian cherry, quebec apricot wheat)

Belle%20Vue-kriek.jpg
McApricot.jpg

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

nah man, im a completely different person on different drinks. i was drinking vodka for the first time in ages on a night out and i was a paranoid maniac, i must have put the guts of a bottle away over the night and was raring for more. had 3 ginger ales and a red wine at the marble a few days later and was in a nice fuzzy giggly blanket and completely plastered. Likewise white wine/gin turns me into a 45 year old divorced woman. All part of the rich boozy tapestry

So many people have told me that drinking gin makes you weepy that I kinda presumed it was true...

Pestario

tell your friends
I spent a couple days with a friend of mine in his parents' beach house and all we had to drink was gin. By the third day we would just be sitting at the table staring into space, not speaking, completely depressed.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
So many people have told me that drinking gin makes you weepy that I kinda presumed it was true...
I'm pretty sure its mostly some sort of placebo, along with set and setting. F'rinstance, since everyone knows drinking Stella makes you rowdy and violent, if you go out and get lashed on Stella you know on some level that you've got an excuse for being rowdy and violent ("yeah, sorry about that, Stella just does that to me") so you're more likely to let yourself go. I behave differently on different sorts of alcohol, but I'm pretty sure it's because I have associations and expectations for them.

Given that even the effects of alcohol itself seem to be partly placebo, I wouldn't put too much stock in the mood altering effects of minor ingredients, exept maybe stuff like masses of sugar in a sweetened drink or caffeine in coke.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Given that even the effects of alcohol itself seem to be partly placebo, I wouldn't put too much stock in the mood altering effects of minor ingredients, exept maybe stuff like masses of sugar in a sweetened drink or caffeine in coke.

Hmm, it's a tempting hypothesis - but bear in mind that booze, unlike pharmaceuticals (or even most illegal drugs) isn't manufactured and refined in laboratory conditions, but made by the messy, organic process of brewing, using a huge range of ingredients and a huge variety of yeast strains - plus, in spirits, there's the added complication of distillation - so there's every chance there are psychoactives other than ethanol itself in some drinks.

Having said that, the placebo/autosuggestion effects you mention are certainly powerful. Plus you have to consider what sort of person a given drink appeals to in the first place - many pubs won't serve snakebite because it 'makes people violent', whereas I'd say it's just more likely to be idiots who are going to drink the stuff in the first place (and then get violent when they get drunk).

straight

wings cru

well i suppose vodka is much closer to pure alcohol than other drinks, is it not all of the other stuff floating about in there that effects the end result? i am a sensitive soul though.

Nigerian guinness is laods of fun, tastes like guinness and jamesons, the old birthday cocktail.

straight

wings cru
also on the original stella topic, you couldnt get stella in Derry where im from until wetherspoons opened there in 2000 and suddenly everyone was in even more of an absolute state than normal. though to tell you the truth derry men arent all daisies like me

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
also on the original stella topic, you couldnt get stella in Derry where im from until wetherspoons opened there in 2000 and suddenly everyone was in even more of an absolute state than normal. though to tell you the truth derry men arent all daisies like me

Could just be the effect of suddenly migrating from Guinness (4.2% abv) to Stella (5.2% abv) without moderating the number of pints drunk?

straight

wings cru
Could just be the effect of suddenly migrating from Guinness (4.2% abv) to Stella (5.2% abv) without moderating the number of pints drunk?

are you insinuating us irishmen cant count units? to tell you the truth it doesnt make a difference, scally derry lads dont drink guinness they are on blue wkds, cheap vodka and 8 cans before they go out. the stella brought a new level of violent idiot golem to the fore.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
scally derry lads dont drink guinness they are on blue wkds, cheap vodka and 8 cans before they go out. the stella brought a new level of violent idiot golem to the fore.

Still, it's all good craic, isn't it? Or crack. Whatever.

john eden

male pale and stale
Red stripe in my local offy has gone up to six cans for SIX QUID!!!

This is an outrage!

I have written a strongly worded letter to my MP, Mr Diane Abbott, but I think the only solution to this is taking to the streets in an orgy of not-quite-drunken violence.

FUCK YOU GORDON BROWN AND YOUR ECONOMIC VOODOO!

john eden

male pale and stale
I shouldn't think you'll get a favourable response with that sort of approach. :eek:

Well, I wasn't swearing or anything...

Actually, you're right - fuck the parliamentary process, it's direct action that gets the goods!

Let a thousand lager-deprived revolutionaries bloom!

Storm the breweries!

Seize the means of production!

The revolution starts when my shakes wear off!