The Wire is over - discussion, spoilers inside

UFO over easy

online mahjong
same situation here re: sopranos, missed it all originally but just watched the first season.

really liked it though :) I think it does ask those questions of the viewer, but in a bit more of a low-key way. The ethics of the show aren't spoonfed to you in the same way they are with the Wire but that doesn't mean they're not there. So far it feels like the viewer's encouraged to draw his or her own conclusions, which feels appropriate given the psychotherapeutic context.

zhao

there are no accidents
The ethics of the show aren't spoonfed to you in the same way they are with the Wire but that doesn't mean they're not there.

true on both points - Wire spoon feed and Sopranos'... microwave dinner?

i would have liked if the Wire got into the systematic and wholesale racism which is responsible for segregation of black folk into these inner city ghettos... and of course the REAL kingpin of the narcotics biz: CIA.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Anyone seen any of Generation Kill yet?

watched the first episode the other night and really enjoyed it. loved the couple of references concerning the army's 'grooming' policy. i'm hoping that this will become a recurring issue throughout the series.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Series 4 really was fantastic, I found the plot in series 5 a bit too much OTT - I could buy the whole Hamsterdam storyline as sort of plausible, but McNulty and Lester's schemes verged on the ridiculous.

True that as they might say. Lester comes across as a totally non-corrupt and straight as a plank maverick detective in the previous series. That he joins McNulty's slapstick schemes is totally out of character and it annoys the hell out of me. I just don't believe in it. And what made The Wire so good (in the first four series) is that it seemed so close to reality. So they screw up with this and the whole serial killer plot and McNulty's police dept within the police dept.

Also - I never really cared for the guys in the newspaper (we never see the press gang at their homes, as we do/did with say police, drug dealers, dockers and even Bubbles).

There's a cheap dig at IKEA, the end credits show Daniels (as a lawyer) and Rhonda Pearlman as a judge in the same case and I think Marlo Stanfield's rise to top dog of "The Street" is almost too easily achieved after Prop Joe is popped.

And then there's Omar.
I thought that his death was a bit of a shocker and there's just no
way he would have the need for a list of people of he would knock off in his pocket
(so the police could easily pick it up).

Having said all that. It is still good - the well-meaning Carcetti starting to loose grip on his principles (Blair?), the terrific Snoop, Clay Davies making a comeback (although the jury freeing him seems incredible), the overall Victorian feel to it, a nod to "Dexter" (one of the kids watching it on telly) and so on.

But The Wire Series Five slips compared to the high standards it has set for itself in the first four. There are too many "moments of disbelief".

Last edited:

crackerjack

Oh God, first Stringer now Cedric. I've heard a rumour Michael K Williams (Omar) plans to do a rap album - in character.

Perhaps then they'll all get together for a Kids from Wire xmas project.

BareBones

wheezy
Are the lyrics to Stringer Bell / Mr Me Innit's "Lady Freestyle" really:

I'm working these peeps
With more flows and beats
And more pounds of dat (?)
Than a nigger selling crack
In the middle of Iraq

?

crackerjack

I'm working these peeps
In the middle of Iraq

?

One thing The Wire should have taught him is the necessity of a good script.

benjybars

village elder.

I'm working these peeps
In the middle of Iraq

?

i'm afraid they are.

every single interview/footage etc of Idris Elba i've seen suggests he complete dickhead to be honest, and actually makes me worried that he doesn't really get Stringer Bell (although i guess he must have done to play him so well...)