The Wire is over - discussion, spoilers inside

petergunn

plywood violin
idris elba is also a terrible rapper with massive delusions of grandeur..

this is good - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...l-fight-against-crime-1818220.html#mainColumn

cool... nice to see people giving back to an exploited community (not saying the wire xpolited b-more, saying that they did not really get a boost from the wire, despite the fact that it was alot of people's intro to bmore...)

great article on the real people who inspired the charectors:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/09/u...87323200&en=6ff91cea148c50cf&ei=5070&emc=eta1

also, Snoop on Bourdain;s show... she sez he is not enough of a man to handle pam grier... hehehe....

benjybars

village elder.
the second part of that sentence is completely untrue

it sounds like maybe you know him? i'm sure he's safe guy but he's definitely a terrible rapper who thinks he's a really good rapper.

anyway, no hate here - the guy played stringer bell, he can basically do what he wants. ;)

benjybars

village elder.
i might have posted this already but it's well worth another look..

lance reddick, aka cedric daniels, is SERIOUSLY into his dinner jazz.

http://www.lancereddick.com/

go to the music section and listen to track 8 - Tick Tock.

oh my days!

the first time you hear it you think it MUST be a joke.

but no, lance reddick is deadly serious.

:)

crackerjack

it sounds like maybe you know him? i'm sure he's safe guy but he's definitely a terrible rapper who thinks he's a really good rapper.

anyway, no hate here - the guy played stringer bell, he can basically do what he wants. ;)

I have met him, but very briefly, tho know people who know him better. He's actually pretty insecure about his music* (with good reason, you might add), although I think he rates himself as a DJ.

*either that or he's, like, a rilly good actor

Last edited:

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Seriously, someone needs to get him down to fwd. Their claims to represent cutting edge music are pretty empty if they don't.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
http://nahright.com/news/2010/01/05/video-the-avon-barksdale-story-trailer/ (via kottke.org)

"Here’s a trailer for the DVD release of a new documentary that details the life and times of real life Baltimore kingpin Avon Barksdale, the man on whom the infamous character from The Wire was based."

" Barksdale’s real name, Nathan Avon Barksdale, and his nickname, “Bodie,” were both used in the series as composite characters. Avon Barksdale was The Wire’s first season’s central character. The storyline focused on the Barksdale clan and their ruthless hold on Baltimore’s underworld and the intense efforts of law enforcement to stop them. Barksdale was a real crime figure in Baltimore.

Barksdale says he consulted David Simon, the creator of The Wire, during the early filming of the highly successful mini-series. He says, “The Wire was one long commercial for this!”

petergunn

plywood violin
wiley on the track "Everybody" from Tinchy's new mixtape

"last one here like Marlo in the 5th season"

ps. seen Clay Davis twice again recently, he looked downright depressed... like grim... i suppose the first step towards helping him would be finding out his name so as to call him something other than clay davis...

benjybars

village elder.
wiley on the track "Everybody" from Tinchy's new mixtape

"last one here like Marlo in the 5th season"

ps. seen Clay Davis twice again recently, he looked downright depressed... like grim... i suppose the first step towards helping him would be finding out his name so as to call him something other than clay davis...

also on his dub for trim - "deflate your Michelin tyre, man wanna be stringer but this ain't The Wire"

just another reason for wiley to hold a high-ranking cabinet position.

love that his Marlow bar relates to the lesser-loved final season. Wiley = Proper Wire Fan.

Leo

i've never had HBO, so i'm only now -- 14 years after the fact -- finally binge watching the wire via amazon prime. just finished season three (bye bye, stringer), and looking forward to reading all 14 pages of this thread when i'm done with the series (assuming the thread is chock full of the compelling and insightful opinions and critiques we've come to expect from dissensians past and present).

also, it appears not much in baltimore has improved in the ensuing years:

More than 90 percent of the homicide victims this year were boys or men, more than 90 percent were black, and more than half were between the ages of 18 and 30 — reflecting an urban reality that residents and civil rights activists say is devoid of legitimate job opportunities and caught up in the often-violent drug trade.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-deadliest-year-20160101-story.html

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
All of my incisive comments can be located on the dubstepforum Wire thread. It's weird to think that I was still at University when I watched Season 1-4.

I think I should revisit The Wire, because - having watched every season at least twice - I've started, after a long break, to think of it as something fusty and overpraised, like one of those canonical old books that puts you off with its reputation until you actually begin to read it.