Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: H P Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post

Through The Gates Of The Silver Key reads a bit like a trip report from someone who's just freebased DMT.

I like Dreams in the Witch House because it reminds me of ketamine - people as polyhedrons floating through purple voids

The Whisperer in the Dark is good to, mostly because the Mi-Go inspire such dread in the humans without really being evil.

^ Don't, you'll set Mr Tea off again...

Quote Originally Posted by tryptych View Post
    The Whisperer in the Dark is good to, mostly because the Mi-Go inspire such dread in the humans without really being evil.
    A bit like transdimensional Jehovah's Witnesses, then?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

i just read that houellebecq on lovecraft thing. great stuff. when i was reading atomised i did get the idea that houellebecq had similar ideas of the futility of all human strivings (till the end) as lovecraft. so i did not really surprise me to discover he had a published essay about him.

"I imagine the paranoia that Lovecraft expresses here here comes from his own problems and hangups - some Lovecraft crit has said it's all about women, all those slavering cosmic holes being vagina detenta on a cosmic scale."
    Guess that idea doesn't have much currency these days, I don't see how in a world where oral sex is utterly prevalent the idea of putting your dick into a toothed orifice can retain any particular fear for many people.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Guess that idea doesn't have much currency these days, I don't see how in a world where oral sex is utterly prevalent the idea of putting your dick into a toothed orifice can retain any particular fear for many people.

O RLY?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

oh god. hahahaha.

I nearly used a pic of Shane McGowan, so be grateful for small mercies.

The Vault

How's this for cosmic pessimism? Review of H. G. Wells's Mind At The End Of Its Tether:

Wells argues in Mind at the End of its Tether that human existence is about to be extinguished. He claims that there has been a change in the conditions of the universe and that this change signals the end of being. Previously, events had a cord of logical consistency running through them; 'now it is as if that cord had vanished'. Wells searches for the correct term that can capture this nascent negative force and eventually opts for 'The Antagonist'.

Wells' viewpoints may be considered the solipsism of an unhealthy mind projecting an individual state onto the macrocosm. He acknowledges that the healthy person, with their innate gift for self-evasion, is a component of 'the normal multitude, which will carry on in this ever contracting NOW of our daily lives, quite unawake to what it is that makes so much of our existence distressful'. Faced with extinction, Wells projects his existential state beyond the parameters of his personal condition onto the whole of humanity. Wells' perturbation may be distancing him from reality, in that he believes that there has been a manifest change in the status of being. Decay has always been the symbiont of creation: what may have occurred was a realisation that the former was leading to the final contraction of his 'now'. We do not need to invoke an 'antagonist' to explain a finite life which is played out in an indifferent universe. However, it is not necessarily crude anthropocentric idealism to believe that, to all intents and purposes, the world dies with us. The death faced by Wells will be faced by us all and therefore his generalisations are appropriate. Wells muses about death and considers the nihilistic likelihood of oblivion. Wells believes that our lives are insubstantial and, a la Macbeth, signify nothing. Our loves, hates, triumphs and tragedies are enacted within the inexorable march of insentient time. Our striving is in vain - we will be forgotten.

He also cites examples of the evolution of existence and how this led to conscious human life. He describes how animals developed backbones as a result of the capricious meanderings of nature. Wells recognises the contingency of occurrences that accumulated to eventually spawn human existence. He writes about the development of primate species which gave rise to homo sapiens. There is nothing romantic or sacred about this development; it was a result of the blind, amoral and aggressive march of evolution. Wells notes: 'the little fellows faded out before the big fellows, according to the time-honoured pattern of life'.

One may presume, however, that Wells possessed these insights earlier in his life; it is only now that he documents them as a source of discomfort. There has been no change to the pattern of logical consistency, only a change in Wells apprehension of this pattern. Rational endeavour contains no intrinsic orientation towards hope, salvation or progress. Wells' outpourings may be the result of spiritual crisis when contemplating the proximity of an utterly inevitable death - rationality cannot ease this burden. Distinctive human attributes that have contributed to the development of scientific inquiry have somewhat paradoxically generated knowledge which denies human value and distinctiveness. Rationality it seems offers us 'no way out or round or through the impasse'.
    Anyone here read it? Struck me, from the description of it, that it might appeal to fans of Lovecraft (obviously), probably also Nietzsche, Negarestani, Houellebeqc, Bolano...heavy End Times shit.

I've only heard of it because of a sample in a Tackhead tune.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 11-03-2012 at 07:12 PM.

I'm reading Joshi's new expanded HPL biog I Am Providence and just found out something pretty funny about an early story, 'The Lurking Fear'. It was serialized in a journal called Home Brew with illustrations by Lovecraft's friend, the author and artist Clark Ashton Smith. Smith was apparently a bit of a lady's man, a big drinker and all-round bon-viveur, and he decided to troll the prudish Lovecraft by making the huge gnarled trees and other vegetation mentioned in the story rather rude-looking:

But the joke was lost on its intended target because Lovecraft was so utterly uninterested in sex he just couldn't see it, even when a friend pointed it out to him!

whats a good introduction to lovecraft?? a volume of stories would be ideal or something like that....

I started with Penguin Classics' The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories, and read from the back. The Colour Out of Space, The Call of Cthulhu, The Whisperer in Darkness are some of his best, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    But the joke was lost on its intended target because Lovecraft was so utterly uninterested in sex he just couldn't see it, even when a friend pointed it out to him!
    And yet his name would let itself so well to a line of high-powered prosumer sex toys.
    Last edited by nomos; 27-03-2014 at 06:08 PM.