Rustie

soul_pill

Sounds really 'thick' and annoying to me, I can't help thinking of the theme tune from 'going for gold', '16 to 1' or some kids tv theme from around that era, maybe it's a 90s grange hill.

That last sentence was what's good about it btw... It's the production i think ruins it... seems to heavy and compressed to really 'lift-off'... melodically good imo

Last edited:

atoga

pardon my ignorance, but are any tunes on the album co-produced by hudson mohawke? a lot of what i've heard from it is REALLY similar in tone to old hud mo, he's using a lot of the same samples, and hud mo's producer signature is in that hover traps tune (but maybe it's there because it's from a radio mix)

i can't imagine why anyone would play this stuff in a club. however, it is quite fun to listen to on my laptop, really enjoying.

bandshell said:
Glass Swords sounds like one of those names that are popular now, the ones where you couple an animal with something else. Bee Mask, Wolf Lung, Mandrill Knuckles or whatever.
imagine this is an internet thing, due to single words being exhausted. it has certainly been going on since the internet was started (see: almost any username)

Last edited:

grizzleb

The guy is mega-talented, not really that keen on the way his stuff has gone in the last few years though. Hate that rising pitch synth that's on every one of his tracks.

muser

pardon my ignorance, but are any tunes on the album co-produced by hudson mohawke? a lot of what i've heard from it is REALLY similar in tone to old hud mo, he's using a lot of the same samples, and hud mo's producer signature is in that hover traps tune (but maybe it's there because it's from a radio mix)

Yea i was going to mention, sounds a bit like rustie and hudmo are converging into one being.

aaron_shinn

Ulala that tune is bananas. The second drop brings all the rushy ADHD synth funk to the tune - perfect. Damn hard to follow up in a set, I'd imagine. It's good to hear Rustie working hard again. For a while it seemed like he was coasting, but this single bodes well for the rest of the LP. Eager to check it out when I get my mitts on a copy...

Phaedo

Only thing i have to say is heard Ultra Thizz at least 4 times at Bestival last weekend; every single time it sends a crowd into total meltdown. Not sure if I even like it but its always gonna bring back good memories.

BareBones

wheezy
everything i've heard so far is great. Ultra thizz is a monster and I LOVE the title track -

though I do sympathise with soul pill's point about the production - i saw rustie play a few months back and it was wicked in points but a bit too much for me overall, I find it quite a punishing sound and hard work to listen to for long periods... there wasn't much light and shade in there, it was pretty much epic synth after epic synth and sounded strangely flat after a while, and kind of too druggy, like ketamine-y druggy

hucks

Your Message Here
Saw him at XOYO last night and he was pretty good. Comments above about the lack of light and shade are valid, but his set was only an hour or so. The album would be shorter than that, I'd guess, so it doesn't reach overdose point imo

hopper

a lot of my thoughts towards this have already been posted. It does sound like rustie and hudmo have converged - though aren't they supposed to be good friends so that could just kinda make sense.

I find this and all the hudmo stuff just so jarring though - it's overkill of those really bright synths, in a really luminous/garish kind of way. I think the compression is a big part of that - but I guess this is all just a matter of taste. It feels like an homage to 80s bombast but through a digital nostalgic kind of lens. It's music that is all sort of bollock out without any real build up or sense of tension - again coming back to the compression idea it all sort of gets swallowed into the whole limited crush of loudness.

I love the rustie of jagz the smacks, loved the darkness and elastic percussion... But this whole proggy root seems to be the route they've gone down - which isn't really for me I guess.

Though as everyone says he's clearly a very very talented produced - I kind of get the idea that he's capable of getting any kind of synth sound he wants, and there is something quite convincing about the funked out melodic lines in ultra thizz - which as phaedo says about bestival I would imagine would be perfect for that sort of occasion.

I'm more into Zomby and Joker in terms of this whole bright synth sound thing, though am certainly not expecting too much from Joker as the samplers for his album were sounding pretty tired!

grizzleb

Fuck, this has turned out to be one of my favourite albums this year. It's amazing. The synth line at the end of Surph, the mad screwed up 80's soul shit that comes in for like four bars of 'Globes', the little pppppow noise in 'Death Mountain'. Album is detailed as hell...

The sound is massssive as fuck but I guess that's kind of the point. I dunno, I haven't really been listening to that much 'dance music' other than disco recently so this is like getting the last 3 years of reasonably popular uk dance condensced into one hour long album, and it's a ripper.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Not in a long time has an album spurred so much internal debate and confusion with me as to what I think of it. Do I love it? Do I hate it? I don't know! I'm leaning towards love at the moment, but have changed my opinion on it so many times already.
At the very least I don't think you could ever say this is an average or unmemorable album - like I can't imagine anyone listening to it and not having some strong reaction either way.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Bit belated given my earlier enthusiasm (and priapism), but yeah, the album is great.

LuckyMe are giving away a free Rustie remix of Nicki Minaj's "Massive Attack" as part of their advent mp3 thing. (You need to click on the 2nd December on the calendar.) There's a new track each day, I haven't checked them all yet but today's is a HudMo one and there's Mike Slott and Machinedrum ones too.

wise

bare BARE BONES
I listened to Glass Swords again the other day and it struck me as an incredibly well produced and orchestrated parody of current dubstep and chart dance music styles.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Another Rustie freebie from LuckyMe as part of their advent calendar mp3 thingy. I liked this one a lot, sounds very much in key with Glass Swords, presumably got cut from the final tracklist. (Click on the "18" link once you get to the page.)

Rustie - Fancy Forty (Remix)

Edit: Turns out it's his remix of 'Stacker Upper' by Lunice. Shows what I know, eh?

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

this album has really grown on me. once you get used to the seemingly relentless up-ness of it, it gets good. and for all the sunny 80s-ness of it, theres a lot of downbeat shifts in there too. i think this is what ikonika was talking about when she talked about wanting to make music like 80s madonna, sweet but sad, danceable but also makes you want to cry. though crying while dancing would prob be a bit awkward. and people would look at you a bit weird.

CrowleyHead

It's funny how Rustie still sounds vaguely like Rustie and Hudmo sounds like unidentifiable generic shite, y'know? Real shame that, but hey.