censorship on dissensus: the disappearance of the confessions thread

N

nomadologist

are you joking now, polz?

:rolleyes:

Yes, it was utterly ridiculous of polz to agree with me about the use of the word "slut" in the "good looking people with stuff" thread, though let's not forget we outright banned a poster for calling someone a "political slut" not too long ago.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
That's called not being an autistic dork who spends 100% of their time locked up at home counting their vinyl.

:D That's classic.

Being a lightweight (newish) contributor I can't comment on the past state of the forum. It's obvious there's a place for light banter and heavy discussion (theoretical/personal or the theory of the personal). Everyone puts in what they can or ignores a thread, don't they? I've seen this on other forums where those who complain aren't doing anything to make the place more like they want it to be. Some are shy of starting threads for fear that they'll be ignored/laughed at or whatever. Between writing a novel and working I can't put in as much as I'd like sometimes but from what I've seen so far this looks like a good forum and the major players should be proud of that.

N

nomadologist

There's a condition, isn't there, that makes people compulsively lie? Or rather, that describes people who do this.

Oh boy, there was this nerdy middle-aged guy at work who used to tell us all kinds of lies about his life outside. Had a computing degree, then a molecular biology degree (although he didn't know what DNA stood for in the xmas quiz) had a girlfriend who looked like Angelina Jolie, then one who looked like Liz Hurley, he'd say he'd been on holiday to Monte Carlo or somewhere (even though people had seen him in town during his time off) just stupid, ego-boosting things. I'd just let him talk himself into hilarious scenarios and contradictions. Seemed cruel to call him out on it, plus it was great entertainment.

It's called "pathological liar"...I used to live with someone who was like this and I always wondered why she did it, then I found out she had really severe borderline personality disorder and she didn't even know she was lying most of the time.

She told really grand stories about waking up under waterfalls and getting chased by masked intruders in her car until she crashed into a tree three states later. I realized at some point that some of the things she told as first-person narratives had actually happened to her friends or relatives but people with borderline personality disorder have very loose boundries around their "persona" and on top of that have a very deepseated need to please people so they lie if they have to in order to be liked.

N

nomadologist

:D That's classic.

Being a lightweight (newish) contributor I can't comment on the past state of the forum. It's obvious there's a place for light banter and heavy discussion (theoretical/personal or the theory of the personal). Everyone puts in what they can or ignores a thread, don't they? I've seen this on other forums where those who complain aren't doing anything to make the place more like they want it to be. Some are shy of starting threads for fear that they'll be ignored/laughed at or whatever. Between writing a novel and working I can't put in as much as I'd like sometimes but from what I've seen so far this looks like a good forum and the major players should be proud of that.

Agreed. And on top of this, I think that there are some sections of the board that are going to lend themselves more to silly threads. If you don't like silly threads, don't read the Misc section, for example.

And get over yourself--you'll be ok if you read a personal detail about a stranger's life. The threads that are started as friendly discussions about personal experience are easy to identify and to ignore.

Jaie Miller

oh i do hate to cause a stir.

yes yes delete away very blah.

That Iraqi thing was eating me away for a long time. They are awefully bombed.

I don't suppose I'm more annoying than a fly is when you're on holiday, I'm only looking for somewhere to regurgitate.

Or over hearing a bad conversation on public transport. Better to carry an iPod nowdays.

The talk of boards not being what they used to be is very common.

I get the uniting over a common enemy feel though, but couldn't care less.

Saul Williams did a nike advert and blew my morals away.

~Jeffery

N

nomadologist

Did you really say you dislike Iraqis? That's just inflammatory. Maybe it's best not to type things that will be misconstrued. It sounds like you're being perverse and enjoying all of this, though, in which case--you got what you wished for.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I don't want to defend something that doesn't need defending, especially if you think erasing that made sense, Sloane, but jesissss.

Ah misread I think, I was just pointing out that for each person that might not want to post because of the frivolity in some sections - I'd read it as friendliness, and bored people at work - there may equally be people who aren't posting cos of the more intellectual side of things. It works both ways, y'know? I like all of it, I think balance is healthy.

nomos

Administrator
The original post in the Confessions thread was:
"I don't really like Iraqi people. Post your confessions here. Guilt free honesty. Forgiveness garenteed."
This was the premise of the thread.
This is why the thread was deleted.
It would have been deleted without zhao adding flippant generalizations about Africans
It was not deleted because mistersloane mentioned blow jobs.

THERE IS NO MOD CONSPIRACY TO STIFLE FUN OR SILLY THREADS, NOR DISCUSSIONS OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCE :rolleyes:

@ nomadologist
You didn't see the thread so it would be difficult for you to have an informed opinion about it.

I happen to like when people drag the political down to that horrible pedestrian level of the personal (oh god, someone related something to their personal experience? my discourselevelometer is going off like crazy).
There's a difference between the politics of the personal and confessional, more-extreme-than-though one-upmanship as in the D R U G S and S E X threads. It's the latter that was being criticized, and not from a moralistic standpoint.

Personally, I find nothing more tedious than people arguing at fucking length about whether "dubstep is it" or some of what passes for "music discussion."
To paraphrase your words: "It's a music forum. If you don't like something don't click on it."

It seems like the real problem is that some of the oldest posters don't feel like this is their own little private corner of the internet anymore. In that case, start another message board--this is what happens to message boards over time, people join them and you lose control of the exact way in which people post.
Given the actual reason for the Confessions thread being deleted, I don't see how this is a relevant comment. Not to mention that polz and noel emits have been members since 2004.

@ noel emits
I'm still not sure how pointing out that people have left the forum over perceived intolerance makes me into a snooty elitist. First you agreed with the decision to delete the thread and then had a go at me for explaining the reasons.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Ah misread I think, I was just pointing out that for each person that might not want to post because of the frivolity in some sections - I'd read it as friendliness, and bored people at work - there may equally be people who aren't posting cos of the more intellectual side of things. It works both ways, y'know? I like all of it, I think balance is healthy.

Ahh I see. Agreed.

N

nomadologist

The original post in the Confessions thread was:
"I don't really like Iraqi people. Post your confessions here. Guilt free honesty. Forgiveness garenteed."
This is was the premise of the thread.
This is why the thread was deleted.
It would have been deleted without zhao adding flippant generalizations about Africans
It was not deleted because mistersloane mentioned blow jobs.

THERE IS NO MOD CONSPIRACY TO STIFLE FUN OR SILLY THREADS, NOR DISCUSSIONS OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCE :rolleyes:

@ nomadologist
You didn't see the thread so it would be difficult for you to have an informed opinion about it.

There's a difference between the politics of the personal and confessional, more-extreme-than-though one-upmanship as in the D R U G S and S E X threads. It's the latter that was being criticized, and not from a moralistic standpoint.

To paraphrase your words: "It's a music forum. If you don't like something don't click on it."

Given the actual reason for the Confessions thread being deleted, I don't see how this is a relevant comment. Not to mention that polz and noel emits have been members since 2004.

@ noel emits
I'm still not sure how pointing out that people have left the forum over perceived intolerance makes me into a snooty elitist. First you agreed with the decision to delete the thread and then had a go at me for explaining the reasons.

Who ever said there was a "conspiracy" of any kind? I didn't. I just pointed out based on what you and John Eden have said that it seems some people spend a whole lot of time bitching about threads they don't like.

The drugs and sex threads were so utterly harmless that I think anyone with a basic high school level of maturity saw them as absurd and couldn't have cared less. Is there really something wrong with discussing sex and drugs? I have no problems with it, but I guess some people are just that hung up and repressed, that they can't abide by reading about someone else's sex or drug preferences on the internet. Please. This isn't a children's forum, is it? What other reason but a moralistic uptight one would there be to object to people talking about things like that? If you don't like it you don't have to read it.

And as far as boring dubstep "oneupmanship" threads are concerned--I don't click on them or read them. I do my best to avoid them, and usually do just fine. I also don't write to mods and bitch about them, though, either.

N

nomadologist

@ noel emits

I wasn't talking about polz or Noel Emits there.

nomos

Administrator
OK, nomad, your two posts just totally confirmed that you barely read things before you respond to them. I'm not going to bother sorting through all of it.

N

nomadologist

Excuse me? I responded to that post of yours point for point. What exactly did I not read?

N

nomadologist

you could also have:
closed the thread, but leave it there
post a reply, stating your disgust at the op

but no, you chose to delete the whole thread, which was already 3 pages long, and not about the op alone anymore. i, for one, enjoyed it.
If somebody finds offense at the original post of the grime thread, will you also delete the whole thread

But polz, if you leave open a confessional thread, someone might talk about (gasp) sex or (gasp) drugs on it! Goodness me that would be terribly inappropriate to do on the internet!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
But polz, if you leave open a confessional thread, someone might talk about (gasp) sex or (gasp) drugs on it! Goodness me that would be terribly inappropriate to do on the internet!

They didn't delete the sex and drugs threads though did they?

nomos

Administrator
you could also have:
closed the thread, but leave it there
Why would we leave a thread up that invites people to post racist statements?

post a reply, stating your disgust at the op
I did. as did eden and others.

Just to reiterate, there's no injunction against moustache and football confessionals at Dissensus. It's the ethnic slurring we're dealing with here. Not as complicated as this thread makes out.

Last edited: