cool London walks

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Growing up in North London I'm pretty sure it most commonly known as 'granny knocking', which in retrospect sounds like a euphemism for something else, not sure what though.

Having sex with very old women?

Edit: haha!
Wikipedia said:
Variations:

"Dance Dance Doormat" When they answer the door you start dancing until they get mad at you.

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
re green chain walks, there are tons of them. miles and miles of them. several run thu our hood, too, paul/john.

STN

sou'wester
re green chain walks, there are tons of them. miles and miles of them. several run thu our hood, too, paul/john.

I guess those would be based around Walthamstow Marshes?

Always wanted to walk down the canal east from Green Lanes to wherever it leads.

Surely 'gnoming' is the pick of the bunch? You ring the doorbell, wait for an answer and then just stand very still on the doorstep. If the householder speaks to you, you must fall over.

vimothy

yurp
back on topic, there is now an official london orbital walk isn't there? well, maybe not orbital, but it goes all the way around it, sort of circularly.. i know this because my mum and her friend have been doing it on sunday afternoons. not sure you'd want to do a walk along a route prescribed by ken livingstone tho..?

Hahaha -- an official London Orbital walk? And it's something to do with Ken Livingstone?

Must be some kind of ritual repossession of the city by the archonic forces of despair...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A walking tour of venues where Orbital have played? I dunno, call me a traditionalist but I think the ones about ghosts and Jack The Ripper would probably be a bit more interesting.

vimothy

yurp
:rolleyes:

[That's a link, BTW. And a really good book, though I enjoyed Lights Out for the Territory more. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe just because it was less familiar.]

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
back on topic, there is now an official london orbital walk isn't there? well, maybe not orbital, but it goes all the way around it, sort of circularly.. i know this because my mum and her friend have been doing it on sunday afternoons.
There's a couple I think - one that goes about as far out as the M25 and is bloody long, one that's nearer the centre, more interesting, and about 70 miles. That sounds quite nice.

Someone on this forum once recommended me to walk Old Street -> St Paul's -> Tate Modern -> Borough Market, and that was good. The juxtaposition of shiny modernism and old bits of church and city wall in the City is ace.

luka

shoredditch is cool. you should walk through there. i heard notting hill is cool too.

swears

preppy-kei
re: Knock and run

Me and a schoolfriend at about age 9 saw some comedy program where a prankster ties a thin fishing line to a door knocker, then hides in the bushes and knocks on the door by pulling the other end. The house holder has no idea what's going on and hilarity ensues.

We thought we'd try this, but as my mate was tieing the fishing line to the door knocker, this confused old man opens the door and shouts "What on earth do you think you are doing?!" So we just ran away. Still funny though, the look on his face.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Revive!

I've been doing a few interesting walks in recent weeks (may be very obvious to those who know east London better than I do, but I'm a south and west London boy (well, with 2 and a half years working in E16)...

Loved St Dunstans Church in Stepney, and the blue cobbled street leading down to it from Mile End Road (?). Also, one of the Hawksmoor churches at Limehouse is pretty nearby, and there's a farm around the corner.

Went to Bow Back Rivers yesterday for the first time. Lovely, but disappointing that the Ol*mp*cs have started to impinge upon it so much already, with closed paths etc. Go soon before it all disappears!

sufi

lala
did anyone see grif rhys jones on the river lea last week...?
nice river he's a prize prick tho

luka

walk from central london to woolich along the south bank of the river. then get on the ferry then walk back to stratford through canning town making a detour to visit trintiy bouy wharf and the bird reserve at east india dock basin. if you want ot make the walk shorter start from greenwich you lightweight!

mos dan

fact music
what's the best way to see the olympic site?? i want to have a walk around there. i've been east from dalston kingsland to stratford on the train and it looks amazing. i wonder how close you can get on foot tho, and whether there are any good views of the area? pls advise!