80's R'n'B/Electro-soul

craner

Beast of Burden
Mistersloane the I-level tracks are fantastic. I'd never heard of them before - you've made my week!

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
I've listened to 'Give Me' about 50 times since I first heard it last night. What's the story behind them? They were British right? But signed to Epic?

DRMHCP

Good to see this get mentioned. It's DSM. Annoyed I don't have it anymore :(

This was British and I had a tape for years from the Spring 1986 Bognor weekend where Paul Oakenfold as a kind of record promotion bloke is trying to speak to the geezer behind this and the producer doesn't want to know and Oakenfold is trying to calm him down. I had this up until the early 90s before it snapped or something really wish I still had it. It was the last weekender I remember going to before everything changed...I didnt go late 1986 or early '87 then remember a group of punters in bandanas at Bournemouth in Spring 1988. Thought what the fucks this all about but through talking to a couple them I ended up at Spectrum a month or so later.

Back on topic Alicia Myers "Say Say Say"
George Benson "Inside Love (So Personal)"
Mtume "Juicy Fruit"
Ingram "Smoothin Groovin "
Montana Sextet "Heavy Vibes"
from the 70s but always played around then the Blackbyrds "Rock Creek Park"

glad a couple of people have mentioned Sahara "A Love So Fine" this made the Solar Radio Top 100 of alltime which I recorded the day they closed down in attempt to get a license.
and Wally Badarou "Chief Inspector" Level 42s producer until Earth, Wind and Fire produced what was their last good album and on that tip should maybe mention Level 42's "Instrumental Love"

Last edited:

DRMHCP

...other classics Unique "What I've Got is What You Need",
the Jammers "Be Mine Tonight"
Hot Streak "Body Work" (wicked intro and eighties synths)
Major Harris "All My Life"
Serge Ponsar "Out in the Night" (I think this was a rare European (French) track) track)...absolute classic managed to download it a couple of months ago
Extra T's "ET Boogie" (was never released in UK due to copyright problems)
Harlequin 4's "Set it Off" (the biggest of a few versions of this tune)
Tyrone Brunson "The Smurf" (big early break dancing tune)
Stone "Time"

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've listened to 'Give Me' about 50 times since I first heard it last night. What's the story behind them? They were British right? But signed to Epic?

I think they were on Virgin in the UK, Give Me was their first single if I remember right - I'm goin on memory here - and it did really well in the States, to the point of getting a US remix, they never broke top 40 here so I think they just disappeared after their first album, but I could be totally wrong. Gary Crowley used to play them alot when he was a soul boy and had a Saturday show on Capital Radio in London.

craner

Beast of Burden
No it hasn't. Good tune, if slightly veering from the remit.

If anyone missed that beautiful I-level track mistersloane posted, here it is again.

craner

Beast of Burden
Which flags up another song I've been playing to myself for years - Central Line...

Dunno what that fucking terrible video is about on youtube...

bruno

est malade
yes, the first one is more on target i think. that i-level track is indeed beautiful! this is what i was aiming at on an old thread. sigh, it was nice to visit again.

DJ PIMP

That I-level track is cool and all but it's fairly predatory, i.e. the taking of a girls virginity (you got to give it to me), and then her not telling anyone.

Falls on the creepy side of the seduction axis.

craner

Beast of Burden
Imagination being, again, a memory from my mother's amazing 80s soul vinyl stash. I was a small boy building Legoland as she blasted Imagination and Shalamar and Aura from a very old record player. She also liked Matt Bianco and Eric Clapton so it's not all good memories. I'm still ambivalent about her Sade fixation, though I think she should be represented, to an extent, on this thread.