luka

My sense is that over the years it's tilted more and more to advertisement, propaganda and self promotion and the amount of interaction has drastically declined. You used to be able to get a seemingly genuine, unguarded response from pretty much anyone.

luka

It seems to be more driven by metrics now. Creating a tweet that will blow up. Then advertising your soundcloud on the back of it.

version

People with their most 'successful' tweet pinned to their profile; effectively saying 'you may know me from that funny throwaway comment I made last year.'

john eden

male pale and stale
I think there is still a "long tail" of genuine communication on there between small groups of people.

Obviously that isn't possible if anyone involved has more than 10,000 followers or whatever, but who cares about them.

luka

What does long tail mean? I've seen that before and relate it to Twitter celebrity black swan Taleb.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
long-tail-concept.jpg

Just the idea that there is massively popular stuff at one end of the scale, but an equal amount of small (but more diverse) things at the other end.

So you have a few big artists in music that sell millions of copies of one album. And then millions of artists at the other end who just sell a few.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think the worst bit of it is desperate attention seekers amplifying each other.

X with 12 followers says something hateful and stupid.

Y with 500 followers quote tweets it because they are "shocked".

Z with 10,000 followers makes a pithy comment about it.

Some dick from Spiked posts an article about what this says about the gliberal metropolital elite.

Radio show about what this says about our divided nation / civility / Brexit.

version

Those articles about 'outrage' when it's like two people complaining about a film or something and the article consists of the tweets embedded and maybe a paragraph.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Way too much post-irony on there. This new thing where someone will say what they genuinely believe but in a deeply ironic tone in order to, I guess, confuse, posture and deflect. The people who subscribe to the viewpoint then can't believe how cool the tweet was.

The very absolute worst is:

"It's almost as if... [situation I believe to be true]"

and:

"[statement I clearly believe to be untrue]"

followed by

"Oh, wait..."

version

"Just let that sink in."

"Friendly reminder that..."

"Can we talk about?"

"And I am here for it."

IdleRich

IdleRich
I only joined it relatively recently. I use it very infrequently and when I do I keep having to block tweets from Sunderland FC that I simply cannot seem to follow for some reason.