Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 248

Thread: Twitter?

  1. #226
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    6,343

    Default

    Yeah, I regularly get a follow from some motivational gimp with tens of thousands of followers only to have him disappear a few days or weeks later.

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    6,343

    Default

    Online self promotion is a pox. A disease of the mind and spirit. These people are lepers trying to escape their colonies.

    Why cant people just use twitter like its intended; existential wallowing in the pit of despair, snarkiness and mindless trivia?

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    6,343

    Default

    One of the reasons I haven't published any writing or mixes for the last few years - the idea of promoting it physically sickens me. Such a tawdry, repulsive ritual.

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    loads of people like that fishing for followers with speculative follows. they're trying to justify conference fees with follower counts i guess. get to 100,000 and youre a 'social networking guru' tawdry low level scam but it appeals to spivs.
    Imma spam him with poo-related news stories until he blocks me.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Imma spam him with poo-related news stories until he blocks me.
    Actually I think some proper trolling might be much more rewarding. What should I ask this guy? Whether he can upcycle my headspace efficiency, something like that? Oh Mister Guru, what's more important in cradle-to-grave project management: being dynamic, or being holistic?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,428

    Default

    The best thing is just to ignore who is following you completely and bang stuff out there. (Except if someone you know or like follows you, obvs)

    All this "oh that post about xyz just lost me 6 followers" stuff is just as desperate as shady entrepreneurs begging for attention.

    The main thing about promotion is just not to do very much that needs promoting. That way everything will be in balance.

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I just got followed by a man who describes himself as:

    "Social Entrepreneur, Futurist, Creator of Wealth Dynamics, Talent Dynamics, Founder of Entrepreneurs (sic.) Institute"
    Ahahaha, check out this dickhead:

    Many people think that there are hundreds of routes to wealth. With Wealth Dynamics, you'll see that there are actually only eight paths to wealth and that one of those paths is the correct one for you.
    The EIGHTFOLD PATH to TRANSCENDENTAL MEGABUCKS!!! This is 24-ct assholistic nonsense. Trolling has commenced. Watch this space.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  8. #233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Ahahaha, check out this dickhead:



    The EIGHTFOLD PATH to TRANSCENDENTAL MEGABUCKS!!! This is 24-ct assholistic nonsense. Trolling as commerce. Watch this space.
    fixed

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    لندورا
    Posts
    2,721

    Default


  10. #235

    Default

    I quit twitter.

    The content posted on Wednesday really upset me.

    I outlined it on the vomitorium blog.

    **sigh**

    Dunno if people agree or not.

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    لندورا
    Posts
    2,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    I quit twitter.

    The content posted on Wednesday really upset me.

    I outlined it on the vomitorium blog.

    **sigh**

    Dunno if people agree or not.
    Thanks you for the interesting post on the blog, i certainly relate.

    My Social use has got quite heavy over the past year or so, and although the gratification cycle certainly feels like familiarly compulsive behaviour from experiences of less novel stimulants, I don't feel like i'm "addicted". Your post crystallised a couple of disparate ponderings for me - like how the trump soap drama connects with 21stC communications and has brought into focus some questions about whether my own online behaviour is a substitute or an enhancement to real life. As well as my similar experience to yours of toxic overload.

    Not only your point about enjoyment of the regular endorphin (?) hit of checking socmed, with it's diminishing returns, anticipation not really lived up to, the reply to your tweet not as insightful as you hoped, your trolling not as luminously incandescant... Or perhaps just no worthwhile updates to current affairs, or worse still, updates aimed specifically at drive-by browser like yourself - a bunch of ads displayed without a worthwhile content payload,

    But also about reaching that tipping point - mine was a definite public event - the US election. I'd followed Brexit on twitter with the telly off and the 2015 UK elections offline and away from TV. When the Trump result came in, I found that I just no longer wanted to do twitter - perhaps I felt betrayed by how the result was unpredicted (again) within my bubble, and how ineffectually my bubble had reacted to the similarly unexpected Brexit result. (FB holds no huge appeal - i can't seem to take it seriously for current affairs, whereas my twitter stream is a reliable source of flaming opinions, hot hyperlinks, future news, novelty, endorphins...) My overriding surprise at the Brexit vote was more about the impermeableness of my bubble, than about the result itself, how few of my contacts were brexiters and yet they won their majority.

    However, since then I went back on it again. Precisely since Trump's inauguration. so that was a couple of months off, and i'm thoroughly enjoying the return.

    You, I would like to know more about what specifically about the events of Wednesday turned you off. I'm interested by the split that seems to be emerging between advocates (like Simon Jenkins) of minimising what someone on twitter called "small bore" attacks like this - reporting them as crimes, not terrorism. On the other side it seems like the whole mainstream media and political establishment on every side step into set-piece positioning and narratives as soon as an attack like Wednesday's occurs (thus basically furthering the terrorist agenda). What's odd is that the "denying the oxygen of publicity" approach was used by Thatcher on the IRA, a different shaped terrorist threat with seemingly less distance between political aims and violent activities, compared to the ostensible nihilism of current islamist terror.

    What else is currently making my brain itch is how compelling the Trump show is, especially on social media. I feel a real visceral voyeuristic rush when i read Kendzior or Mensch, unmediated access to their split second updates (at least during US waking hours). I'm intrigued about how Trumpalia taps into this, something to do with driving forward the narrative at the expense of reality.

    I don't feel the need to kick it though, in fact i feel hyper-conscious of the crackling pulsating energy bolt of cyber in all it's conflicts and contradictions, really surfing the crest of the web's enormous info-breakers. & I feel much more aware about my online privacy, which platforms and sources respect me (my data and online profile, no more "stay logged in") and how my relations with these platforms are bilateral and co-dependent. Thinking about the hardware seems to help too, G*gle, FB & Apple's ginormous coal-guzzling server farms in Virginia exist.
    And I seem to be more productive and engaged and also less gnomic online too - perhaps due to a better understanding of the connection btwn on and offline, a bit of a reset of my own role.

    apple.jpgfacebook.jpggoogle.jpg

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,071

    Default

    Not endorphins - dopamine. Endorphins are associated with the satisfaction of desires and appetites, whether for food, sex, shelter or whatever. Dopamine is what mediates the desire in the first place, and triggers the reward centre when the desired thing is achieved - but it is immediately reset, which is why you can never have enough of it.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  13. #238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    You, I would like to know more about what specifically about the events of Wednesday turned you off. I'm interested by the split that seems to be emerging between advocates (like Simon Jenkins) of minimising what someone on twitter called "small bore" attacks like this - reporting them as crimes, not terrorism. On the other side it seems like the whole mainstream media and political establishment on every side step into set-piece positioning and narratives as soon as an attack like Wednesday's occurs (thus basically furthering the terrorist agenda). What's odd is that the "denying the oxygen of publicity" approach was used by Thatcher on the IRA, a different shaped terrorist threat with seemingly less distance between political aims and violent activities, compared to the ostensible nihilism of current islamist terror.
    I thought my gripe about the online responses to the Westminster attacks was clear.

    But I'll underscore my point by asking a question.

    What is the difference between a Hopkinsian hate-bait-for-clicks hot-take and the corresponding gnomic moralism of the lefty counterpart?

    Does either one serve much purpose other than promoting the user? No.

    As you can imagine - my feed was predominantly left-liberal journos and academics.

    I saw people hashtagging #Westminster with sunny photos of London, tweeting that London is the greatest city in the world and 'won't be beaten'. I saw established writers who appear on BBC posting much more than normal, threads and threads of glib solidarity and take downs of rightwing media with their Patreon linked in their profile... And I felt that the only people this served was them. It was a one big self-promoting circle-jerk - under the guise of outrage or noble moralism.

    Of course, I agreed with the sentiments of most of my feed - of course I do... I did before they tweeted. Because of, as you rightly highlight, the bubble syndrome. So I felt the only good to come of it was for those social-entrepreneurs. Even the vague and pithy excuse of much of the left - 'consciousness' or 'awareness' is not valid here - because what awareness is there to spread/raise in people who already agreed and would feel the same anyway. Dialogue is not a decent retort either- precisely because of the nature of these platforms. We can't have a nuanced dialogue on a forum - let alone in 140 character dumps off a smartphone.

    I also see wannabe climbers replying in the heat of such hot-topics to other more established media jackals of the noise-pack - shite like #Solidarity to accounts of racism or sexism. Isn't this the parrotting echo-chamber of a vacuous 21st C 'right-on' cacophony?

    It just really depressed me and angered me - and rather than feed the rabble and become complicit I retreated. I dislike retreat or such Ostrichy responses to social problems but this once, coupled with my anxiety over compulsive behaviours being exploited, I pulled the plug.

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    لندورا
    Posts
    2,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    I thought my gripe about the online responses to the Westminster attacks was clear.

    But I'll underscore my point by asking a question.

    What is the difference between a Hopkinsian hate-bait-for-clicks hot-take and the corresponding gnomic moralism of the lefty counterpart?
    there may be a core of ideological difference beneath the layers of drama, but

    Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    Does either one serve much purpose other than promoting the user? No.
    agreed, self-promotion is the main purpose of these media though, in moments like the Westminster attack even if most people forbear commenting and reserve judgement, tastefully, that doesn't matter because there are always going to be people who can't resist/feel their voice should be heard. I mean i think i saw a hot take on weds afternoon from James Corden. But this self promotion is part of how celebrity - the storification of public figures - dominates the media and trumps actual relevance, even the loftiest of media, even academia (!trumps!).
    So if you want to sip of the cup of twitter (or dissensus) there is a certain amount of this acting up to be put up with.
    But actually it's worse than that, because aside from the dumb online self-promotion of bigmouths there are actual irl interests behind the cacophony. Those fixed repertoires have been prepared to such an extent that this vacuous commentariat must yearn for "atrocities", which they desperately need to create the opportunity to further their own agendas, even justify their existence - the security establishment, the terrorists, the channels, the commentators.
    Either you engage with that, hopefully at some conscious level, or i suppose you give it a rest. Giving it a bit of a rest was helpful for me, so i'm with you on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    As you can imagine - my feed was predominantly left-liberal journos and academics.

    I saw people hashtagging #Westminster with sunny photos of London, tweeting that London is the greatest city in the world and 'won't be beaten'. I saw established writers who appear on BBC posting much more than normal, threads and threads of glib solidarity and take downs of rightwing media with their Patreon linked in their profile... And I felt that the only people this served was them. It was a one big self-promoting circle-jerk - under the guise of outrage or noble moralism.

    Of course, I agreed with the sentiments of most of my feed - of course I do... I did before they tweeted. Because of, as you rightly highlight, the bubble syndrome. So I felt the only good to come of it was for those social-entrepreneurs. Even the vague and pithy excuse of much of the left - 'consciousness' or 'awareness' is not valid here - because what awareness is there to spread/raise in people who already agreed and would feel the same anyway. Dialogue is not a decent retort either- precisely because of the nature of these platforms. We can't have a nuanced dialogue on a forum - let alone in 140 character dumps off a smartphone.

    I also see wannabe climbers replying in the heat of such hot-topics to other more established media jackals of the noise-pack - shite like #Solidarity to accounts of racism or sexism. Isn't this the parrotting echo-chamber of a vacuous 21st C 'right-on' cacophony?

    It just really depressed me and angered me - and rather than feed the rabble and become complicit I retreated. I dislike retreat or such Ostrichy responses to social problems but this once, coupled with my anxiety over compulsive behaviours being exploited, I pulled the plug.
    I really couldn't agree more, i found myself consciously distancing myself from the news cycle on wednesday evening.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

    you

  16. #240

    Default

    Yup... we're on pretty much the same page. As is to be expected online. 'Dissensus'... ;-)

    I do appreciate the interaction though. And you've mentioned some facets of the issue I hadn't really considered - cheers.

    There are other personal reasons for my withdrawal - but Wednesday was the proverbial straw.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •