Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    I thought my gripe about the online responses to the Westminster attacks was clear.

But I'll underscore my point by asking a question.

What is the difference between a Hopkinsian hate-bait-for-clicks hot-take and the corresponding gnomic moralism of the lefty counterpart?
    there may be a core of ideological difference beneath the layers of drama, but

Does either one serve much purpose other than promoting the user? No.
    agreed, self-promotion is the main purpose of these media though, in moments like the Westminster attack even if most people forbear commenting and reserve judgement, tastefully, that doesn't matter because there are always going to be people who can't resist/feel their voice should be heard. I mean i think i saw a hot take on weds afternoon from James Corden. But this self promotion is part of how celebrity - the storification of public figures - dominates the media and trumps actual relevance, even the loftiest of media, even academia (!trumps!).
    So if you want to sip of the cup of twitter (or dissensus) there is a certain amount of this acting up to be put up with.
    But actually it's worse than that, because aside from the dumb online self-promotion of bigmouths there are actual irl interests behind the cacophony. Those fixed repertoires have been prepared to such an extent that this vacuous commentariat must yearn for "atrocities", which they desperately need to create the opportunity to further their own agendas, even justify their existence - the security establishment, the terrorists, the channels, the commentators.
    Either you engage with that, hopefully at some conscious level, or i suppose you give it a rest. Giving it a bit of a rest was helpful for me, so i'm with you on that.

As you can imagine - my feed was predominantly left-liberal journos and academics.

I saw people hashtagging #Westminster with sunny photos of London, tweeting that London is the greatest city in the world and 'won't be beaten'. I saw established writers who appear on BBC posting much more than normal, threads and threads of glib solidarity and take downs of rightwing media with their Patreon linked in their profile... And I felt that the only people this served was them. It was a one big self-promoting circle-jerk - under the guise of outrage or noble moralism.

Of course, I agreed with the sentiments of most of my feed - of course I do... I did before they tweeted. Because of, as you rightly highlight, the bubble syndrome. So I felt the only good to come of it was for those social-entrepreneurs. Even the vague and pithy excuse of much of the left - 'consciousness' or 'awareness' is not valid here - because what awareness is there to spread/raise in people who already agreed and would feel the same anyway. Dialogue is not a decent retort either- precisely because of the nature of these platforms. We can't have a nuanced dialogue on a forum - let alone in 140 character dumps off a smartphone.

I also see wannabe climbers replying in the heat of such hot-topics to other more established media jackals of the noise-pack - shite like #Solidarity to accounts of racism or sexism. Isn't this the parrotting echo-chamber of a vacuous 21st C 'right-on' cacophony?

It just really depressed me and angered me - and rather than feed the rabble and become complicit I retreated. I dislike retreat or such Ostrichy responses to social problems but this once, coupled with my anxiety over compulsive behaviours being exploited, I pulled the plug.
    I really couldn't agree more, i found myself consciously distancing myself from the news cycle on wednesday evening.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

you

Yup... we're on pretty much the same page. As is to be expected online. 'Dissensus'... ;-)

I do appreciate the interaction though. And you've mentioned some facets of the issue I hadn't really considered - cheers.

There are other personal reasons for my withdrawal - but Wednesday was the proverbial straw.

Wednesday was the proverbial straw.
    TRIGGER WARNING -> this link (from HuffPo Entertainment section) contains a shocking list of fatuous celebrities tweeting last Wednesday ... http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0b22b0d19d99c
    words fail...

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    TRIGGER WARNING -> this link (from HuffPo Entertainment section) contains a shocking list of fatuous celebrities tweeting last Wednesday ... http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0b22b0d19d99c
    words fail...
    ... ugh, another one of my pet hates is the Trigger Warning tide...

Yes, these schlebs know how to work don't they... Emoji's and #Westminster tags. Good work.

Of course, I dislike this 'stand together' reactionary collectivism - locking tweeded arms together wearing sodden flat caps on the rain lashed brink - shit. But that is to be expected from these hate-bait purveyors... but the style that irked me most on Wednesday was the measured voice of reason call backs. Lily Allen's smug call for people to 'Calm Down' is just as bad as the 'STOP SENSATIONALIZING' moral-concern-for-RT trick.

Good riddance. Happy I left.

the horror.

but really, did anyone expect any better? corden is a fucking whore.

Hey, remember when Justin Bieber visited the Anne Frank museum and left a comment in the visitor book saying he hoped she would have been a "belieber"? I think he wins at atrocity-attention-whoring, lol.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you