luka

you can find pictures of oliver by looking on my facebook dear probert. he looks exactly like youd xpect him too.

craner

Beast of Burden
@olivercraner

It's really good, actually. I was put off for ages, because I thought it had something to do with Stephen Fry.

The downside is that it encourages you to act like a cock, which is bad; on the upside, it's a mesmerising slew of information. The haiku-like concision appeals to my, um, minimalist instincts. The other downside is that you have to expose yourself in public as being almost friendless and/or uninteresting; but then the other upside is that you can retain some form of contact with people more interesting, successful and glamorous than you.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
@olivercraner

It's really good, actually. I was put off for ages, because I thought it had something to do with Stephen Fry.

The downside is that it encourages you to act like a cock, which is bad; on the upside, it's a mesmerising slew of information. The haiku-like concision appeals to my, um, minimalist instincts. The other downside is that you have to expose yourself in public as being almost friendless and/or uninteresting; but then the other upside is that you can retain some form of contact with people more interesting, successful and glamorous than you.

Thanks.

Yes, that is always a factor that has to be taken into account.

it looks terrifying.

luka

i noticed that the other day too. theres nothing interesting there tho. a lot of middle aged men become obsessed with cats dont they.

craner

Beast of Burden
He always has been, hasn't he? He talks about cats in his blurb for Vital Signs. I suppose it is startling proof that you can't do anything truly creative with Twitter. If Ian Penman cannot work some lexical magic with this format, then who can?

luka

well penman is particulalry verbose, i think it can be done, tommy cooper despite being dead is verey good at twitter
TheTommyCooper Tommy Cooper
So I said to the taxi driver, 'King Authur's Close'. He said, 'Don't worry, we'll lose him at the next set of lights'
12 Oct
I went to the butchers. I bet him 50 quid that he couldn't reach the meat off the top shelf. He said, "The steaks are too high."
I went to my doctor and said, "I feel like a pair of curtains". He told me "Pull yourself together".
1 Oct
Tommy Cooper
I hurt my back today. I was playing piggy back with my 6 year old nephew, and I fell off.
30 Sep
Tommy Cooper
I went to the doctors with a jelly and custard stuck in my ears. He asked, 'what seems to be the problem?' so I said, 'I'm a trifle deaf.'
30 Sep
Tommy Cooper
Our ice cream man was found lying on the floor of his van covered with hundreds and thousands. Police say that he topped himself.
28 Sep

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Police caught 2 boys. One drinking battery acid, the other eating fireworks.
They charged one and let the other off.

craner

Beast of Burden
Twitter destroys narratives, mythos, mystery. We're supposed to be making life bearable by creating narratives for ourselves and each other, or fashioning aesthetics to live by, or with. Instead, we're spitting trivia at each other, dribbling gossip in the ears of our associates, drowning in phlegm and drivel. Twitter is like dating sites -- everybody wants to see your cute face, or check your stats. Even with blogs there was some mystique and distance -- there was certainly space to create worlds. It was a bit of effort for little reward, and there was some integrity in that (it was dissipating and maybe even self-destructive, but still...)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Police caught 2 boys. One drinking battery acid, the other eating fireworks.
They charged one and let the other off.

A cornflake and a Rice Krispy have been found in a shallow unmarked grave in the woods.

Police say they're hunting a cereal killer.

bruno

est malade
Twitter destroys narratives, mythos, mystery. We're supposed to be making life bearable by creating narratives for ourselves and each other, or fashioning aesthetics to live by, or with. Instead, we're spitting trivia at each other, dribbling gossip in the ears of our associates, drowning in phlegm and drivel. Twitter is like dating sites -- everybody wants to see your cute face, or check your stats. Even with blogs there was some mystique and distance -- there was certainly space to create worlds. It was a bit of effort for little reward, and there was some integrity in that (it was dissipating and maybe even self-destructive, but still...)
you should write a book. not an ebook, but a properly bound, well-crafted book that someone might want to read in the future. the constraints of the format are outweighed by the feeling that you have produced something solid. it might even make the online stuff less annoying.

bruno

est malade
it can't be easy. in any case i suggested a book because, to me at least, it's more rewarding and real to have an object that is the product of effort, and all this virtual stuff can end up feeling like writing on thin air. you can't delete or ignore a book, it has a presence nothing on a screen can match.

bruno

est malade
books are beautiful, too, unlike the soul-crushing ugliness that is twitter and facebook. see how they litter the internet with buttons to like, add and tweet nothing of worth, see the drawer open up to reveal one stupid message after another, compare this with the texture and space of a printed page, the careful stitching on the spine of a book. behind books you'll find printers, precision instruments, the din of machines, the smell of freshly printed ink, men and women with a passion for the art, with social networks instead you get hundreds, perhaps thousands of people looking at screens pretending to work, expending huge amounts of energy adding nothing to the world.