you

TRIGGER WARNING -> this link (from HuffPo Entertainment section) contains a shocking list of fatuous celebrities tweeting last Wednesday ... http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...he-late-late-show_uk_58d38528e4b0b22b0d19d99c
words fail...

... ugh, another one of my pet hates is the Trigger Warning tide...

Yes, these schlebs know how to work don't they... Emoji's and #Westminster tags. Good work.

Of course, I dislike this 'stand together' reactionary collectivism - locking tweeded arms together wearing sodden flat caps on the rain lashed brink - shit. But that is to be expected from these hate-bait purveyors... but the style that irked me most on Wednesday was the measured voice of reason call backs. Lily Allen's smug call for people to 'Calm Down' is just as bad as the 'STOP SENSATIONALIZING' moral-concern-for-RT trick.

Good riddance. Happy I left.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hey, remember when Justin Bieber visited the Anne Frank museum and left a comment in the visitor book saying he hoped she would have been a "belieber"? I think he wins at atrocity-attention-whoring, lol.

firefinga

I only use twitter to check occ on a few musicians. After all, why invest time and emotional attachment in something which is basically set up to promote the tweeter and sell the follower to online advertisers. To me how a big number of users uses twitter seems very misguided - as if they record some banality-talk in pubs or cafes and put it out there on twitter. Also problematic, and as stated in some of the above posts, are the bubbles that this and similar services push you.

sufi

lala
... ugh, another one of my pet hates is the Trigger Warning tide...
Yes sorry, it was aimed at you since you're fed up with all that nonsense, but slathered in irony. Hopefully you resisted the urge to cllick thru
Aren’t trigger warnings just a way to attract more views anyway, like when the announcer on tv says "this programme contains scenes of gratuitous violence and wanton nudity from the outset"?
I only use twitter to check occ on a few musicians. After all, why invest time and emotional attachment in something which is basically set up to promote the tweeter and sell the follower to online advertisers. To me how a big number of users uses twitter seems very misguided - as if they record some banality-talk in pubs or cafes and put it out there on twitter. Also problematic, and as stated in some of the above posts, are the bubbles that this and similar services push you.
well yes obvs but there are lots of people who do have interesting stuff to say that doesn’t make it into the msm - i curate my feed gently and find it reliably comes up with links to useful/interesting stuff. i also like the direct access to tweeters, so you can tweak piers morgan's virtual nose very directly if you feel the need, the unfilteredness cuts both ways.

Is it interesting to consider what might happen if these celebs actually did something instead of just tweeting - does their perceived status give them influence in the real world, and does twitter/online waste that potential?

firefinga

i also like the direct access to tweeters, so you can tweak piers morgan's virtual nose very directly if you feel the need, the unfilteredness cuts both ways.

Is it interesting to consider what might happen if these celebs actually did something instead of just tweeting - does their perceived status give them influence in the real world, and does twitter/online waste that potential?

I have to sadly admit out of morbid curiosity I occasionally check assorted celebrities' tweets - just to regret that move soon :crylarf:

As to the latter part of your post, I think tweeting is considered the main form of existance in some odd way. How influential people are via Twitter? Hard to say, my bet is: not very much probably.

you

Yes sorry, it was aimed at you since you're fed up with all that nonsense, but slathered in irony. Hopefully you resisted the urge to click thru
Aren’t trigger warnings just a way to attract more views anyway, like when the announcer on tv says "this programme contains scenes of gratuitous violence and wanton nudity from the outset"?

Yes, cynically I expect if Trigger Warnings are used on Twitter it is for precisely that reason = clicks-via-reverse psychology. Perhaps a more deft version of the ubiquitous and direct 'WAIT TILL YOU SEE' or 'YOU WON'T BELIEVE'...

But I don't agree with Trigger Warnings in any guise. Because who is to say what is triggering and what isn't? Declaring violent or sexual content is fine because it doesn't assume what people find upsetting - but Trigger warnings shift the onus on to the content sharer - putting them in the absurd positions of having to guess in advance what upsets people - which is, of course impossible - you may as well assume anything could be triggering. I imagine cigars are triggering for Hilary and Bill.

Been a bunch of issues about Trigger Warnings on US campuses. I've had personal experience of (a complaint against me) this in the UK. It is cultural conservatism masquerading as aggressive liberal sensitivity.

luka

Interests from Twitter

These are some of the interests matched to you based on your profile and activity. You can adjust them if something doesn't look right.

Action and adventure
American cuisine
Archaeology
Arts
Astrology
Beer
Birdwatching
Bodybuilding
Bodybuilding and Fitness
Business and news
Comedy
Commentary
Cookbooks, food, and wine
Cooking
Couples Therapy
DJs
DJs and Producers
Dance and Electronica
Dining out
Documentary
Drum & Bass
Education news and general info
Electronic music
FA Cup
Financial news
Food
Food
Foodie news and general info
Football
Foreign
Foreign Affairs and Think Tanks
General News
Government
Gucci Mane
Hip hop and rap
Hip-Hop
Hip-Hop and Rap
History
Independent Media
Liam Gallagher
Liam Gallagher
Lil Durk
Museums
Music
Music
Music
Music
Music news and general info
Music, Artists, and Producers
National Rugby League
News / Politics
News and Media
Novelty
Painting
Paranormal phenomena
Political elections
Politics
Politics
Politics and current events
Premier League
R&B and soul
Rap Music
Rappers
Reality TV
Reggae
Rugby
Rugby
Rugby League
Science & Technology
Science news
Soccer
Specialty Coffee
Sports news
Sports themed
Super Rugby 2016
T.I.
T.I. and Tiny: Holiday Hustle Special
Tech news
Tennis
Tip
Travel news and general info
U.S. military
UK Breweries
UK Music
UK Top 40
Underground Hip-Hop
United Kingdom
Wine
World
Wrestling
スーパーラグビー

version

Does anyone still make regular use of Twitter? It was great for a while, but nowadays I barely look at it. I might glance at specific profiles from time to time or use the search function to get live updates on a news story, but I ditched my account a while ago and the signal-to-noise ratio is ridiculous.

luka

It's become completely poisonous it should be destroyed and I say that as someone whose Twitter is among their greatest artworks

DannyL

Wild Horses
i was using it to follow syrian activists then i got depressed and shut out politics completely.

This but with the addition of some Labour centrists/statistical commentators I also follow some occult people who don't make me want to end my own life.

firefinga

Trump definitely gave Twitter a boost.

And then there is that - all the silicone valley behemoths that exist today will possilby go on for a while simply bc the sheer number of people getting access to the web (today mostly via smartphones) will be growing immensly for some time, so the companies will be growing in absolute terms regardless. I mean even yahoo is still growing (ok, I didn't check that but I assume it still does).

Last edited:

luka

Twitter was and probably still is good at providing you with news and facts which aren't registered by Lamestream Media. It really brings Home to you just how much falls outside of that spotlight.

entertainment

Way too much post-irony on there. This new thing where someone will say what they genuinely believe but in a deeply ironic tone in order to, I guess, confuse, posture and deflect. The people who subscribe to the viewpoint then can't believe how cool the tweet was.