bassnation

the abyss
Is anyone here on it?

this is going to sound really shallow, but the name puts me off big style. especially when you link it up to face book and it prefixes ALL of your status updates with something like "bassnation is twiterring: " - no i'm fucking not actually. i think it devalues the comms. the idea is good though.

blubeat

blubeat
At last! I live on Twitter! Once you are following a good selection of people then it's like listening to the Internet. Like being in a pub full of people talking. ALL news breaks on Twitter first. I posted about it a while back.

A year ago it was mostly a US tech crowd but now there's loads of UK people as well as strong contingent globally. It does take a while to get used to and I agree the Facebook plug in is a bit cack.

But putting Facebook to one side (where it belongs!) then a few twitter pointers.

The web interface is poor in comparison to many of the twitter clients.

Best Twitter client currently: Twhirl (runs on Adobe AIR)

Also use Digsby as it lets you get alerts from email and facebook and myspace. Digsby is just incredible, you'll see what I mean if you try it.

TwitterLocal is another AIR client which is good for tracking "tweets" within a certain local area.

Twibble is the best non iPhone twitter client.

Tweetscan is probaly the best search engine to try and find people talking about stuff you are interested in.

I guess rather than write an essay at this point I would suggest that you have a look and then ask any questions.

EDIT: http://www.bloggersblog.com/twitterlinks/ < definitive list!!

Last edited:

Leo

honest question: how do you guys find time for yet another communications vehicle? i have a hard enough time with work email, personal email, message boards, facebook, myspace, etc. doesn't all this technology start to take over your life after a while?

i'm not trying to be sarcastic here, i honestly wonder how many hours a day all of this consumes and whether the benefit outweighs being chained to a computer screen.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I just don't really do facebook anymore. I respond to myspace messages though - had some good'uns via myspace, including an album deal.

blubeat

blubeat
honest question: how do you guys find time for yet another communications vehicle?
Digsby! This tool lets me keep tabs on all my IM, email, Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. I manage muliple MySpace accounts and Digsby let's me easily see feeds, new messages and lets me post from multiple accounts without having to sign in and out.

Digsby is THE client...just wish they would hurry up and get it on Mac.

ripley

Twitter used by US student who was arrested in Egypt while photographing a demonstration.

full story here

I could see it being hella useful at demos. I know people use it at conferences. any mob scene I guess.

blubeat

blubeat
I could see it being hella useful at demos. I know people use it at conferences. any mob scene I guess.
I watched a lot of tweets come in during the Olympic Torch demos and people using it to track the route of the torch in SF. It's the ability to post Tweets using sms that distinguishes this 2.0 app that and teh fact that you can search real time conversations rather than being limited to just a friends list.

I see a lot more London tech crowd on it now but still not mainstream.

bruno

est malade
i hate it, i hate that you google something and a little blurb in an empty page comes up. it's a very stupid fad and i hope it disappears.

blubeat

blubeat
i hate it, i hate that you google something and a little blurb in an empty page comes up. it's a very stupid fad and i hope it disappears.

Tip: when searching Google dont click on a result from twitter.com

Personally I'm loving the "track" feature at a conference in Berlin catching tweets from people here. Twitter rocks.