Amps for DJs

UFO over easy

online mahjong
so I feel like I have a good grasp of what makes a good mixer, I know turntables.. but my amp is fucking awful, and I know nothing about them. No one else I know seems to know anything about them either! I've only ever had one, which I bought right when I first bought any equipment at all and was terrified of breaking my dads nice old 70s speakers, which I'm still using and are amazing (but huge), so currently I'm using an absolute beast which sounds like a plane taking off and is probably a complete pile of shite.

does anyone know much about what I should be looking for in a replacement? all I want really is something quiet, no fat exhaust pipes whirring and clattering around - it doesn't need to be too powerful as the room is quite small, but I'm not sure how much having to power these ancient loudspeaker behemoths will affect the purchase. probably looking to spend up to a few hundred quid? but I don't know how much these things cost at all.

someone help me out! :)

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Depends how much you want to spend. Hafler or Bryston are serious studio amps and will last you forever.

Otherwise you'll probably be offered stuff like Samson.

What are the speakers? And do they have any info on the back like "8 ohms" or "4 ohms"?

I have been using my hifi amp for years and I would think that any decent hifi amp would be fine.
There's a lot of hifi and studio snobbery but if you're a sane person and you're DJing rather than mixing your new album in an acoustically treated room etc. then a hifi amp will be fine, go to Richer Sounds and check a few out.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
monitor audio ma4.. mid-70s I think!

can't find a huge amount of info on the web but I think you're right - will pop down to richer sounds and see what they have to say