craner

Beast of Burden
he's dead, oliver. he can't return to form!

Alright, but his ludicrous and inflated reputation lives!

craner

Beast of Burden
And Massive Attack, they're even worse. And Roni Size. I can't think of much that's come out of Bristol that is 1. any good and 2. hasn't been critically lionised. Apart from, maybe, the wonderful and indelible 'She's Beyond Good and Evil' by the Pop Group. And, uh, Tricky's 'Aftermath'. And some early Roni Size things, 'Music Box', maybe. Ah, apart from that, it's slim pickings! Bristol 'scene', indeed.

craner

Beast of Burden
Jesus, I can think of so many, I just don't know how high the bar is for 'sacred' these days.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Björk?

(She obviously still exerts an irresistible force, because I could actually be arsed to look up the HTML code for o-with-an-umlaut - or maybe I'm just phenomenally pedantic. :cool:)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Representing the women in the rock canon: Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith and more recently PJ Harvey. Don't think rock critics are allowed to say a bad word about any of them, are they?

I'd add Prince in with Bowie, in that they have both always tended towards pretty patchy albums that taken in isolation are nothing to rave about (well, except for their uniformly-agreed-upon best albums, Low and Sign 'O' The Times respectively :p) ... the kind of artist where some kind of personalised "best of" really is the best approach... but, yes, every time something is released it's heralded as a return to form of some sort.

I think I like music by all these artists... in fact, I like maybe 90% of the artists mentioned in the thread so far... but I hope that's not the point.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I find a lot with indie rock journalists that if you read one review, you've read them all because they are all seeking validation from the next guy and rehashing a feedback loop of opinions in order, presumably, to maintain cred and not look like they are unknowledgeable.
I've spoken to music reviewers who've said straight up to me that when they get something they don't know about they look online now and read some other people's reviews to get a feel for how it's being received.

Still, I think it's more often just about time constraints and regurgitating info from press packs... with demands on time, editorial limits on word counts etc. and little return for writing something particularly novel, I reckon it's very understandable that people just grab what they've been given and run with it.

Classic example for me was a label PR guy putting who mastered one of my CDs in the press pack going out to reviewers. That info showed up in at least 75% of reviews of the album. Consider how often reviewers would ordinarily comment on the mastering. How many people outside engineering circles even know what mastering is?

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

I've spoken to music reviewers who've said straight up to me that when they get something they don't know about they look online now and read some other people's reviews to get a feel for how it's being received.

I think that it would be better to review music this way:

1) pick a mark through a random process eg. one of execrable/weak/average/good/scintillating by throwing a die/spinning a spinner/eating a sandwich etc

2) write unironically, attempting to justify the mark

The reader then guages the strength of the music by assessing the plausibility of the reviewer's judgment.

It would interfere with the cribbing cycle and force journos to think more originally.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I think I like music by all these artists... in fact, I like maybe 90% of the artists mentioned in the thread so far... but I hope that's not the point.

Yes you're right, it isn't the point. I'd consider myself a bit of Fall fan but that makes their sacred cow status amongst journos all the more annoying

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yes you're right, it isn't the point. I'd consider myself a bit of Fall fan but that makes their sacred cow status amongst journos all the more annoying
I think a lot of these people only seem to get positive press because noone who doesn't like them bothers to write about them. I mean, a new White Stripes album (say) is a bit of a media event anyway, and people are going to review it and some of them may not like it. Whereas I can't imagine many mainstream editors getting worried that they haven't covered the new fall album and people will think they're out of touch...