Ludicrous racism charges

henrymiller

Finegold wasn't offended by being told he was acting in bad faith, though (from an expert in bad faith such as Livingstone, sometime Labour rebel and former Standard writer, this might be ironic). He was offended because someone said that what he was doing (writing for a newspaper) was in any sense 'like' being a concentration camp guard. It's not just that Livingstone refused to 'play the game' of politician and journalist (he has every right to do this), but how he did it.
He isn't defendeing his actions with any reference to bad faith; he is concentrating on the justice of his remarks: to him, Mail journalists are like concentration camp guards not in just terms of bad faith but in terms of their actions: in itself, writing for a right-wing paper makes you a Nazi, is his argument.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
k-punk said:
Dave, it's exaggerated, it's not stupid. Let's not forget: that type of journalist IS evil, contributing to cultural stupidity and all manner of reactionary nonsense. It's time people stood up to them and - more importantly - to the idiot PR culture (the big Other in person) that they represent.

Valid points mark, but i do think that making working for a rightist newspaper analogous to working is a concentration camp, especially when you're a public figure likely to come under this sort of scrutiny, is a bit daft. i mean, we've all said shit like this when we've been faced with jobsworth "i don't make the rules" types or "little hitlers". they're more figures of speech than anti-semitic jibes. not sensible, but not loaded in the way ken's *stupid* (i'm standing by it) statement has been portrayed. sometimes people don't think fully before they open their mouths - doesn't mean they have an underhand agenda of rank bigotry.

jenks

thread death
stelfox, i agree, i called it stupid a couple of days ago and still stand by it. agree with rest of your post too.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
henrymiller said:
Finegold wasn't offended by being told he was acting in bad faith, though (from an expert in bad faith such as Livingstone, sometime Labour rebel and former Standard writer, this might be ironic). He was offended because someone said that what he was doing (writing for a newspaper) was in any sense 'like' being a concentration camp guard.

You're missing the point, perhaps deliberately. The sense in which writing for a newspaper (i.e. shoring up the existing order; abusing and harassing people as 'part of your job'; spreading scare stories etc) is like being a concentration camp guard is precisely that BOTH INVOLVE BEING IN BAD FAITH.

It's not just that Livingstone refused to 'play the game' of politician and journalist (he has every right to do this), but how he did it.
He isn't defendeing his actions with any reference to bad faith; he is concentrating on the justice of his remarks: to him, Mail journalists are like concentration camp guards not in just terms of bad faith but in terms of their actions: in itself, writing for a right-wing paper makes you a Nazi, is his argument.

That's part of it, and, at worst then, Ken might be guilty of exaggeration. But this is illustrative of a more general point about making the Holocaust a singular ahistorical example of sublime evil to which we must all piously genuflect, rather than a specific historical event which had a number of concrete causes, one of which was people's willingness to go along, in bad faith, with what the architects of mass murder required. Surely the most pressing issue is not our attitude to the past per se, but how what we have learned from the past - i.e. that saying 'I was just following orders' is not an acceptable get-out for participating in evil.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
totally fine points mark, but....
i actually said "that's what they said at belsen" to a rail replacement bus driver the other day, who went past my front door and refused to let me out until he'd taken me all the way to liverpool street, saying said "no i can't let you out here. i don't make the rules - i just follow them".
it was a fucking stupid thing for *me* to say and as far as i know he wasn't jewish, linked to a large-circulation newspaper and i don't hold political office, so for ken it's especially daft.

henrymiller

... a specific historical event which had a number of concrete causes, one of which was people's willingness to go along, in bad faith, with what the architects of mass murder required. Surely the most pressing issue is not our attitude to the past per se, but how what we have learned from the past - i.e. that saying 'I was just following orders' is not an acceptable get-out for participating in evil.

amen to that -- not terribly structuralist/cold-rationalist, but wtf, right?

Randy Watson

stelfox said:
nor was his refusal to let me off the bus exactly "evil"

No, probably not ;) Those three words - Rail Replacement Service - suck the joy from my life.

I've met people who work for Mail Group and they all say they disagree with the political/social/cultural ethos of the papers but it's a good job for them, good pay, improves prospects, etc. I think this is moral cowardice.

I hope Livingstone does not apologise to appease reactionary criticism from right-wing media who have an alternative agenda. Any PR driven politician would have said "sorry for any offence I caused" and implicitly refused to apologise for what they actually said. Livingstone says you are wrong to take offence because the accusation is one of moral cowardice, it is not related to your religion and if you don't like it then that's your problem.

Of course, reading the transcript it sounds like he was a bit pissed. I bet he's a nightmare down the pub.

johneffay

Surely the whole point about this is that Livingstone made a bit of a twat of himself and the papers decided to make political capital out of it. End of story. Does anybody really believe that Livingstone was making a deliberate antisemitic attack or that the reporter was really that offended?

Effay is quite right. The weirdest thing about the way this story is being run today is that Livingstone's outburst has somehow jeopardised the Olympic bid! So when we rightly lose it to Paris or whoever, all the press can go 'well, y'know, if Ken hadn't made that twattish comment while drunk about ten months ago, we would have been in with a chance'. Very cheap.

mms

sometimes
According to the latest standard headline Blair has asked ken to apologise, i can't see how that will help things at all, it'll just lead to accusations of hypocracy and conspiracy, especially in the light of the pig and fagin images. Ken has explained himself on the telly etc but a swathe of strong headlines are more powerful than explantions and considered argument from the guy who is actually being accused in the first place.
the only good thing about this is that it's so woeful that just maybe it will put people off the daily mail, evening standard, labour, conservatives and ken livingstone. but most of all hopefully michael howard cos he is mr downer 2005, an utter nasty cynic, not a bit of good about him.

Rambler

Awanturnik
infinite thought said:
So when we rightly lose it to Paris or whoever, all the press can go 'well, y'know, if Ken hadn't made that twattish comment while drunk about ten months ago, we would have been in with a chance'. Very cheap.

Which is secretly what I reckon the Standard want anyway - they love being down on the city they're supposed to represent. Nothing would make them happier than a 40-page supplement on 'Why we lost the Olympic bid'.

jenks

thread death
Rambler said:
Which is secretly what I reckon the Standard want anyway - they love being down on the city they're supposed to represent. Nothing would make them happier than a 40-page supplement on 'Why we lost the Olympic bid'.
totally agree

Rambler

Awanturnik
There's a pretty good leader in the New Statesman at the moment that covers a lot of what's been mentioned on this thread:

http://www.newstatesman.com/nsleader.htm

I particularly like these paragraphs:
Freedom includes the freedom to speak offensive rubbish; indeed, that is the most important freedom of all, and it should not be qualified by demands to apologise for exercising it. Why should Mr Livingstone feign a contrition that he does not feel? Sincerity is what we supposedly want in our politicians. The Prime Minister, who seems to wish to turn apologising into a cottage industry, predictably supports those who want the mayor to retract. Yet he will not apologise for misleading the country over the threat from Saddam Hussein; on the contrary, he promoted the intelligence chief apparently responsible for the flawed information.

It is because our rulers have become so difficult to hold to account on the larger issues - ruinous wars, disastrous public-private partnerships, gridlocked transport - that the media try to nail them on what seem smaller, simpler questions. There is no easy way of putting Iraq right; but Mr Livingstone can be fixed if he will utter a few, well-chosen words, preferably on prime-time television. Again, it is because the political parties lack firm boundaries of principle that so much attention focuses on how politicians express themselves. Just as they are required to tidy their hair and clothes before they go out, so politicians have to tidy their language. The slick surface is all: the substance beneath is nothing.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
The pilgrim gets one hacked daughter and all we get are forty hack reporters

Don't ask us say the critics and the hacks, the pen-pushers and the quacks, we jus' come to get the facts...

Henrymiller: is discussion of Evil not a suitable topic for rationalists? Of course not . On the contrary, in fact. As this also establishes . it is very much a part of the rationalist project.

Yes, the NS piece is spot on. Everyone involved in the shameful witch-hunt of Ken should ask themselves: is it really the case that Ken should apologise for insulting a hack-lackey of the existing order and that Joker Hysterical Face should not apologise for Iraq? Is deceiving and duping parliament and the country into a war less serious than offending bourgeois politesse? So it would appear.

Make no mistake: this is a matter of the higest principle, and it is imperative that Livingstone does not buckle. The power of the tabloid media in this country to enforce stupidity and conformity should not be underestimated.

If you want to know what Lacan and Zizek mean by the big Other, ask who it is who was actually really upset by Ken's comments and ask who he must apologize to. It is not Finegold, a no-mark opportunist and lapdog who had no hesitation in running to his masters with a story to make his own name and stitch up Livingstone. The ES lap it up so they can keep all their paymasters in Kensingston and Chelsea happy by making sure they don't have to pay the congestion charge on their trophy wives' 4 by 4s. No, it is not any actual individual, it is the symbolic structure itself to which Ken must submit. And the current name for the big Other is the Olympic bid, as I.T. says. 'This might lead us to losing the Olympic bid' (if the big Other finds out).

Last edited:
B

be.jazz

stelfox said:
nor was his refusal to let me off the bus exactly "evil"
Unless you were the only person on the bus, I would even call it "right."

Watching BBC's evening news a couple of days ago, the Livingstone and immigration affairs were covered in parallel, and I could only think of how correct K-Punk's points early in this thread were.

I think it was Michael Howard who stated "We have a National Health Service, not a Global Health Service." This reminded me of comments heard in France 10 or more years ago: "France cannot host all the misery of the world." I thought we'd gotten past that, apparently not.

We also apparently have not gotten past using shoddy science as a flimsy cloak for racism: my soon-to-be-doctor girlfriend debunked the utility of TB tests in protecting the general population in about 10 seconds.

Again, we are also not past failing to see immigration as a *positive* employment factor (cf. Labour's "we'll only let in useful, qualified immigrants."). I find it hard to believe that no studies have been carried out on the economic roles filled by immigrants (e.g. Italian miners in Belgium in the 60s, North Africans in France for a whole variety of things, and so on), so I must believe that these kinds of pronouncements are as shoddy as the TB one. Further, UN reports have recommended major increases in immigration quotas as a means to combat the problems looming due to ageing populations. I don't remember the exact figures, but for France, the recommendation was about 10 times the current quota.

And yet, we are "flooded" with immigrants and their misery and their NHS-sucking deviousness. Seems to me the best gig is to become Finance minister and get the people to pay your 14,000 euro/month rent (a scandal that has just forced the French minister to give up his appartment and the Prime Minister to change the legislation on official residences).

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
be.jazz said:
We also apparently have not gotten past using shoddy science as a flimsy cloak for racism: my soon-to-be-doctor girlfriend debunked the utility of TB tests in protecting the general population in about 10 seconds.

Yes, Howard looked at his most slimily unconvincing when he was trying to sell this crock of shit on TV the other night. 'It's just practical, it's just about protecting our public health and seeing that our health service is not put under any more pressure.' So why are people not coming to Britain for a year to be checked? Don't such people have HIV or TB, or can they be trusted not to spread it if they are only here for under a year? Why only people outside the EU? As someone asked on Question Time last night, does this mean that Americans will be checked?

This is appalling, shocking... but no, it's far MORE important that Ken is made to kneel to the big O...

kooky

Banned
You'd have to be naive, or even stupid, to think that to highlight the jewish background of key tory cabinet members wasn't significant. Campbell knew exactly what he was doing. Come on, Howard as Shylock! As far as Ken is concerned, all power to him. He's the main reason London works at all.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
kooky said:
You'd have to be naive, or even stupid, to think that to highlight the jewish background of key tory cabinet members wasn't significant. Campbell knew exactly what he was doing. Come on, Howard as Shylock! .

But who is 'highlighting' this - only the people protesting about anti-semitism surely? Maybe Dave is right and Campbell wanted to provoke this response as a means of foregrounding the Jewish background of Letwin and Howard. I certainly wasn't aware of Letwin being Jewish before this, had forgotten about Howard - not that I could have cared less naturally.

But surely the 'Howard as Shylock' accusation reveals more about the ppl making it than about Campbell or New Labour - i.e. since it quite plainly is not making any reference to Shylock at all (errr, need it be pointed out that Shylock was a moneylender, he precisely did not trick anyone, he wasn't a hypnotist or confidence trickster, he was in fact the very opposite, someone who stuck rigidly to the deal as agreed), the association must be being made in those who are protesting about it (image of a Jewish person --- sinister --- must equal Shylock).

Can I reiterate that this moral panic is purely random, and really quite desperate. The current logic seems to insist that ANY accusations or satire levelled at Jewish people (Finegold, Howard) are in danger of being accused of racism. At the same time, though, other images which DO have a loaded ethnic history - Howard as Dracula - are seemingly perfectly acceptable. Like I say, random.

As for 'Campbell knowing what he was doing', I doubt that on two counts:

1. I'm very sceptical about Campbell being involved at all in the Pigs poster. My suspicion is that Campbell has been wheeled out in that old New Labour trick of making HIM the story, as a means of distraction.

2. He's hardly showing expert judgement atm, if Thursday's Channel 5 public relations disaster is anything to go by.