Actioning a blue-skies approach outside the box

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, I think the ducks line is more of an old-school phrase (the type nutty old posh guys use) than modern management speak.

I have a certain affection for '24-7' because of its use in 'Stan', and because it just sounds like/is a North American import.

john eden

male pale and stale
Someone who uses a lot of this management speak has now sent me 6 outlook invites for the same meeting today.

One of the invites suggested that the meeting would be 25 hours long. which is certainly out of the box thinking.

BareBones

wheezy
crikey. i imagine your arse would experience a lot of high churn, having a two-way dialogue with a chair for that long.

sufi

lala
'make sure we've got all our ducks in a row'. :confused:
Yeah this i reckon is sort of old skool imperialist proto-management speak,

i work in court occasionally and when this sort of thing comes up it's obviously impenetrable to most people outside of a certain social/educational background - some other e.g.s;
"what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander"
"keeping your powder dry"
eh?:rolleyes:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah this i reckon is sort of old skool imperialist proto-management speak,

i work in court occasionally and when this sort of thing comes up it's obviously impenetrable to most people outside of a certain social/educational background - some other e.g.s;
"what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander"

Shit, I thought this was a perfectly 'ordinary' saying! Guess those monsoon evenings playing canasta and taking snuff with Maj-Gen Trumpington-Smythe at the Club may have warped my idea of 'normal' a bit, though...

Last edited:

you

I have witnessed some beautiful things recently.

I new girl joined the admin team in a separate office, thats fine. An email was sent around announcing her arrival, role and contact details - that's fine too, I can cope with that. Only thing is that all her details were not in the email, they were in an attached 1 page powerpoint presentation of her photo, email and number - FFS! Do someone's contact details REALLY warrant a powerpoint attachment?

Also been in training and heard some beauties like:

"looking back retrospectively we'll use historic data moving forwards" -

pretty much made my day, I dont know what the obsession with the terms 'retrospectively' and 'historic' is all about - .....

shits always gone, you dont need to tell me its gone.... aint no shit that aint been, shit that aint been aint shit....

you

oh, wow, thanks for mentioning that! I sometimes feel a bit parasitic just re-presenting endless you tube videos without actually doing anything creative like adding original text...... thanks man.

let me think....

"re-animating historic content retrospectively for an estate-wide online resource of collation....moving forwards"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"re-animating historic content retrospectively for an estate-wide online resource of collation....moving forwards"

He, nice one.

I heard a real shocker from my girlfriend recently: her boss said he'd heard that the new buzzword across the pond is the delightful gerund 'officing', as in, "when are you officing tomorrow?", meaning "what hours are you working tomorrow?".

I hate it when people verb nouns.

Edit: ta for your email btw, I'll reply at lunchtime when I've got time to think about it properly.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
He, nice one.

I heard a real shocker from my girlfriend recently: her boss said he'd heard that the new buzzword across the pond is the delightful gerund 'officing', as in, "when are you officing tomorrow?", meaning "what hours are you working tomorrow?".

I hate it when people verb nouns.

Edit: ta for your email btw, I'll reply at lunchtime when I've got time to think about it properly.

That is a shocking one.

http://www.grammarmudge.cityslide.com/articles/article/1026515/31392.htm

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I'm sure I mentioned it already, but been hearing more and more about "thought leaders". Sounds so Orwellian.